Jim Benning vs Kyle Dubas

Who is the better GM?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Old school vs new school style of GM. One was part of a carefully planned rebuild that has produced an unbalanced roster and the other kind of stumbled his way into a rebuild without seeming to have a plan for one.

Who is the better GM? Which would you rather have running your team?

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
This shouldn't be very close. Benning has done a fantastic job with the Canucks the past 2.5 years. Dubas has taken a team with massive potential and put them in the bottom 3rd of the league during that same span.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
This shouldn't be very close. Benning has done a fantastic job with the Canucks the past 2.5 years. Dubas has taken a team with massive potential and put them in the bottom 3rd of the league during that same span.
Please correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there a number of Canucks fans who hated when Benning selected Olli Juolevi 5th overall in 2016 passing on Matthew Tkachuk. Plus they hated when he signed Lou Eriksson and Tyler Myers when you saw what they are getting paid, a long with other UFA's signings he made. Plus the fact he almost finned for tampering when talking about trading for P.K. Subban before Montreal traded him to Nashville.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
Benning is the most underrated GM on hf

Pulled the nucks out of a horrible situation where he couldn't tear down the majority of the 2011 team due to NTC and he got 0 lottery luck. He may have overpaid Eriksson and traded some 2nds but Jesus, Vancouver is looking set right now. I can't believe HF Canucks hate him.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Benning has his missteps, but also drafted Petterson and Hughes, so I’ll go with him.

Dubas could be redeemed depending on how guys like Sandin and Robertson turn out.

Last edited:

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
Benning is the most underrated GM on hf

Pulled the nucks out of a horrible situation where he couldn't tear down the majority of the 2011 team due to NTC and he got 0 lottery luck. He may have overpaid Eriksson and traded some 2nds but Jesus, Vancouver is looking set right now. I can't believe HF Canucks hate him.

HF Canuck fans also give Mike Gillis credit for building the canuck team that went on the playoff run and down player what both Burke and Nonis did

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
HF Canuck fans also give Mike Gillis credit for building the canuck team that went on the playoff run and down player what both Burke and Nonis did
That's insane lol. What did Gillis do exactly? I mean he seemed to hon them down and add some complimentary pieces but they already had Sedins-Lou-Kesler-Burrows, etc.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
If you exclude drafting he's had a terrible record with trades and signings. I don't understand the need to keep a GM solely on drafting when you have an entire department that does that for you. If you think Benning has done a good job through the draft, don't you think he should be the head of the scouting department rather than the manager of the team?

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Please correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there a number of Canucks fans who hated when Benning selected Olli Juolevi 5th overall in 2016 passing on Matthew Tkachuk. Plus they hated when he signed Lou Eriksson and Tyler Myers when you saw what they are getting paid, a long with other UFA's signings he made. Plus the fact he almost finned for tampering when talking about trading for P.K. Subban before Montreal traded him to Nashville.

Benning has been fantastic at drafting, has signed all of our RFA's to very good deals, and has made a number of very solid trades over the past few years. Sure he has made his mistakes, but his overall body of work has been very good. He took a playoff team, stripped it down, and rebuilt it to a playoff team in 5 years, that is a very good job. We still have a very strong prospect pipeline as well.

He is very underrated on these boards, easily in the top half of the league in terms of GM's.

Reactions: zeke

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
Those are mis steps but it's undeniable that he is responsible for their core.

Dubas has been trash and I really like the guy as a person. We already had our core when he overtook Lou. Dubas inherited an amazing core, and his main job was to sign them to as friendly cap deals as possible and build around them. What he's done since taking over is the opposite.

Mitch Marner gets out muscled by every player on the B's and Jackets in a confrontation and flails to the ice like a kid, but he somehow is really good at muscling management cause he bent Dubas and the Leafs over with that 10.9 AAV. Nylander's contract actually isn't bad but it took him basically wasting an entire year to get it done and he was horrible when he came back. We almost won the series in 6 over Boston. Maybe had we had a 100% Nylander it could have been different. He also hasn't really added to the core at all. JT was coming here anyway and do you really want to book that as a positive?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Those are mis steps but it's undeniable that he is responsible for their core.

Dubas has been trash and I really like the guy as a person. We already had our core when he overtook Lou. Dubas inherited an amazing core, and his main job was to sign them to as friendly cap deals as possible and build around them. What he's done since taking over is the opposite.

Mitch Marner gets out muscled by every player on the B's and Jackets in a confrontation and flails to the ice like a kid, but he somehow is really good at muscling management cause he bent Dubas and the Leafs over with that 10.9 AAV. Nylander's contract actually isn't bad but it took him basically wasting an entire year to get it done and he was horrible when he came back. We almost won the series in 6 over Boston. Maybe had we had a 100% Nylander it could have been different. He also hasn't really added to the core at all. JT was coming here anyway and do you really want to book that as a positive?
This is easy to with hindsight but originally Nylander was asking for the contract Leon Draisaitl signed which was 8 years and $8.5 million AAV. He signed that coming off a 77 point season. When Nylander was an RFA he was coming off a 61 point season. Let's say Dubas agreed to those terms would that have looked like a good contract or would he have been overpaid?

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
This is easy to with hindsight but originally Nylander was asking for the contract Leon Draisaitl signed which was 8 years and $8.5 million AAV. He signed that coming off a 77 point season. When Nylander was an RFA he was coming off a 61 point season. Let's say Dubas agreed to those terms would that have looked like a good contract or would he have been overpaid?
I don't hate the Nylander deal tbh. But the execution was pretty bad though. We lost an entire year of him essentially. I really think had he been with us for the majority of the season we could have won against Boston. He just wasn't himself when he came back. That is on the player so I won't kill Dubas for that but he's still not doing a great job. Leafs are lucky they had lottery luck and got Matthews. Can't imagine how dim things would be w/out him.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don't hate the Nylander deal tbh. But the execution was pretty bad though. We lost an entire year of him essentially. I really think had he been with us for the majority of the season we could have won against Boston.
I think if Nazem Kadri doesn't get suspended for a second straight playoff series they win that series against Boston.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Jim Benning is the worst GM in the league now that Dale Tallon and Jason Botterill are gone from their respective positions. The things a GM has the most direct contact with signing RFA's, Trades, and Cap management he has been a complete failure. he has made 53 trades since becoming GM and has won 4 of them. A 8% winning percentage is terrible.
His RFA signing have been atrocious at best we all know the list.
He is most likely going to have to wave goodbye to at least one of Toffoli, Tanev or Markstrom or a pile of depth players. Benning had to push all in this season to save his job and if the season wasn't abbreviated Vancouver was in very tough to make the playoffs.

As far as drafting and development the Vancouver organization has done a good job with all the high picks Dim Jim's handy work has brought them.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Benning straight up SUCKED his first few years, but the last few he's been pretty solid. Great drafting and getting J.T. Miller for has paid dividends.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Old school vs new school style of GM. One was part of a carefully planned rebuild that has produced an unbalanced roster and the other kind of stumbled his way into a rebuild without seeming to have a plan for one.

Who is the better GM? Which would you rather have running your team?
Can I ask you a question? You are aware that Benning was basically the guy who helped turn the Bruins into a powerhouse right?
Benning right from the start had a certain type of team he wanted to build but the owners pushed for a non rebuild and Linden was loyal to the old core.
Benning did not stumble into anything he has always been a very good judge of talent and places a huge onus on character, something our young core has in spades. But the #1 thing that has impressed me about Benning is the fact that he has zero ego. He knew he made some bad trades early in his tenor and instead of doubling down he fixed them.
His last 3 trades especially the Miller trade and Pearson trade changed the entire make up of the team. No Gm is perfect obviously and the test will be to sign the young core and find gems in later rounds. I do think when it comes to re-signing the young core, we're going to see the kids take a little less to stay together. Sorry but Petey, Quinn don't strike me as the type to only chase the money.
Brock signed a very friendly deal when you look at his #s and what other guys with similar production signed last summer.

Reactions: JoeMc

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It’s not really a fair poll as Benning was flat out awful his first couple of years. To his credit he at least has shown an ability to adapt and has moved away from drafting and over valuing meat and potatoes type players to valuing high end skill. He’s put together a pretty good mix of skill, grit and youth and experience. But aside from Hughes (which is a massive addition) he hasn’t really addressed the D. He also operated under ownership orders early on that necessitated trying to compete for the playoffs rather than rebuild. But even with that excuse his execution of that plan was terrible.
Overall his free agent acquisitions are abysmal, his drafting is strong and his trades have been good. He’s probably a good illustration of the fact that you can still make mistakes and build a good team as long as you hit a couple of home runs and get the right mix of players.
I voted Benning because he has adapted somewhat whereas Dubas hasn’t yet shown that. But neither guy is in the top half of GMs imo.

Reactions: Grantham

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Something non Nuck fans need to understand is what you see on HF for the most part doesn't represent most Canuck fans. CDC is more aligned with how most of us feel and is full of fans like me who actually attend games on a regular basis.
HF is full of kids who think you win with a team full of #1 draft picks and nobody over 28.
When LE was signed Benning was a new GM who was told to win not start a rebuild and TBF, most people we're on board with LE playing with his buddies.
Myers was a signing that had to be done. The right side was void of anything past Tanev and given the fact Tanev was usually only good for 50-60 games a year it left Stecher and Biega often in our top 4. Myers was actually much better then what Jet fans we're saying and I love the edge he plays with. MT I doubt was ever an option. It is no secret MT has a Dad who is not a fan of Vancouver and as talented as he is he has obvious character flaws. Benning got rid of Seguin in Boston based on how he carried himself.
Joulevi was the highest-ranked D by most scouts and it's a bit unfair to judge the kid with the injuries he's had to endure. He does seem to be finally healthy and earned a spot out of camp over 3-4 others that we're higher up than him on the depth chart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad