Prospect Info: Jett Woo, Pt. II

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I've been very pleasantly surprised by the first few games I've seen from him in Utica.

This was not a dominant WHL player and he wasn't standing out in games at that level. I expected a sort of Brisebois-level development curve where he'd require a couple seasons in the AHL and where he'd struggle with the pace and speed of this level for a while. I thought he'd be more physically ready than Brisebois but would have issues with his skating and decision-making with the puck.

Instead he's dropped in and looks totally at home. Skating looks substantially improved to me. Hasn't made a significant positional or puck error in the 3 full games I've watched. Looks confident and honestly doesn't look that far from pushing for an NHL spot. Will obviously spend the rest of the year in Utica - not that there's really much of a choice with COVID protocols - but has to have moved himself into a position where he'll be an interesting guy in training camp next year.

Really, really encouraging. Hasn't put up any points at the AHL level yet but if he plays the way he did in his last game those will start to come.

I've watched him live a lot. (WHL)

I commented previously that he had a pro body and a very mature pro game but agree with what you said here. At times he was underwhelming and i had some concerns with his tempo and speed. Last year wasn't a big step in his development and that tempered my expectations. In saying that the cancellation of his year also prevented what could have been a dominant 2nd half?

It's great to hear he's transitioning well. Was fairly confident he would be a solid player for us if he can physically handle NHL speed. Very smart solid low event shut down potential player. Thanks for the ongoing reports.....we'll see how it goes

I haven't followed him closely since he was drafted but I thought his skating was always one of his strengths? The concern was that he lacks offensive ability.

I'm happy to hear that he might be close to pushing for a spot.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I haven't followed him closely since he was drafted but I thought his skating was always one of his strengths? The concern was that he lacks offensive ability.

I'm happy to hear that he might be close to pushing for a spot.

Scouting reports on skating for prospects are weird.

Most seem to rate their skating vs. the level of players they're playing at. And virtually every player good enough to get drafted is a 'good skater' by that metric. And then becomes an average skater in the AHL. And then becomes a mediocre skater by NHL standards, were 95% of the players were 'elite skaters' when they were in junior. Carson Focht has a rep as a 'good skater' from the WHL but looks like a slug against AHLers. Kole Lind was an 'average skater' coming out of the WHL who was actually a terrible skater against pros. Cody Hodgson - same deal.

Woo was a 'good skater' against WHLers but I didn't think he projected to be a 'good skater' at the NHL level. If that makes sense? But his skating to me looks substantially improved from what I saw from him in the WHL games I saw last year.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Most seem to rate their skating vs. the level of players they're playing at. And virtually every player good enough to get drafted is a 'good skater' by that metric. And then becomes an average skater in the AHL. And then becomes a mediocre skater by NHL standards, were 95% of the players were 'elite skaters' when they were in junior. Carson Focht has a rep as a 'good skater' from the WHL but looks like a slug against AHLers. Kole Lind was an 'average skater' coming out of the WHL who was actually a terrible skater against pros. Cody Hodgson - same deal.

Woo was a 'good skater' against WHLers but I didn't think he projected to be a 'good skater' at the NHL level. If that makes sense? But his skating to me looks substantially improved from what I saw from him in the WHL games I saw last year.

I understand your point but I don't believe that's the case. These players you mentioned were heavily scouted players. If you go back to draft day scouting reports, there were skating concerns with Focht, Lind, and Hodgson. I don't remember reading anything about Woo potentially not being a good enough skater at the next level to translate his game. Certainly he accelerated a whole lot quicker than Lind and Hodgson did.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
the thing with Woo was not mobility, but agility and acceleration for me. I think he's above average between the ears, but ideally we want him to be a smarter Benn, doing what hes been doing with Rathbone for .....Rathbone or Hughes or Schmidt once he finds his offense. Hes a rare RHD for us so it would be great to see him pan out.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I understand your point but I don't believe that's the case. These players you mentioned were heavily scouted players. If you go back to draft day scouting reports, there were skating concerns with Focht, Lind, and Hodgson. I don't remember reading anything about Woo potentially not being a good enough skater at the next level to translate his game. Certainly he accelerated a whole lot quicker than Lind and Hodgson did.

Hodgson and Lind were considered 'average skaters' coming out of junior. There wasn't a lot of concern there, until they hit pro.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
the thing with Woo was not mobility, but agility and acceleration for me. I think he's above average between the ears, but ideally we want him to be a smarter Benn, doing what hes been doing with Rathbone for .....Rathbone or Hughes or Schmidt once he finds his offense. Hes a rare RHD for us so it would be great to see him pan out.
This is what i thought.

Thought he needed to play with a sense of urgency more as well. When he did he very much looked the part of a pro though. Very strong, technical skills were refined and rarely makes mental errors.

See how it goes

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver

Most seem to rate their skating vs. the level of players they're playing at. And virtually every player good enough to get drafted is a 'good skater' by that metric. And then becomes an average skater in the AHL. And then becomes a mediocre skater by NHL standards, were 95% of the players were 'elite skaters' when they were in junior...

That's a good point. I took a look at Gadjovich's scouting reports and he was usually described as an average skater. Button gave him a 2.5/5 for skating, which isn't good compared to other listed top prospects, but is considered adequate (2) to good (3) based on the rating descriptors.

Reactions: CanuckCity

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Hodgson and Lind were considered 'average skaters' coming out of junior. There wasn't a lot of concern there, until they hit pro.

Hodgson was referred to as Stamkos without the skating. Clearly the "concern" there was that his skating would hold him back. With Lind, I think the scouts overrated his skating. IIRC Lind's skating abilities was considered a plus and he was expected to get better with increased strength.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
That's a good point. I took a look at Gadjovich's scouting reports and he was usually described as an average skater. Button gave him a 2.5/5 for skating, which isn't good compared to other listed top prospects, but is considered adequate (2) to good (3) based on the rating descriptors.

With Gadjovich his skating was clearly a concern at the time of the draft though. This isn't some surprise surprise where guys were ranked according to their peers in juniors etc. and then we found their skating to be a problem when they turned pro. We knew Gadjovich's skating was a potential roadblock to him translating his game to the NHL at the time of the draft. You can go back to his draft thread. Nobody was saying he was a good skater.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
whoever plays with Hughes in the future has to play very conservatively. if we want someone that can support Hughes offensively too, that D has to have insane agility to anticipate which direction Hughes is going next. an eight direction skater like Hughes require a guy that can react on a dime in case he loses a edge to cover for him. While also having the physicality to box out in case they make a B line to the front of the net where Hughes loses most of his battles. Woo should be good enough with the physical tools, lets hope he works with his skating so he can be an option to cover for Hughes one day.

Still looking forward to one day have the PA announce the pairing with Blur's WooHoo! (Song 2) as track

wait... why are you guys talking about Gadjovich now? I almost thought I was replying to the wrong thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: CanuckCity

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Hoping we can call him up for a game or two and see what he can do. Just send Chatfield down if necessary. Not much time left in the season though.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
From all reports he was a fine partner for Rathbone this season. His only "regression" was in his D+2 season where he lost out on PP time when Zamula was brought in. PP isn't going to be his bread and butter anyway.
It's too bad his name isn't Kenworth Splatt, because that would describe his game much better.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Judging from the comments of Utica posters, Woo had a pretty solid first professional season. I think a lot of people underestimate how difficult it is to transition from junior to the AHL....and even tougher for d-men.

He'll need more time in Abbotsford, but I could see him easily transitioning to a depth role in the NHL at the very least. He hits a ton and is efficient at moving the puck.

Rathbone and Woo were Cull's top pairing in Utica....pretty rare for two raw rookies. I mean we're not talking about a Taylor Ellington here, who was actually drafted higher in the second round out of the Dub.

Reactions: bh53

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
it was an ahl season lacking in wiley veterans and fringe nhl guys so a tough year to fully evaluate a rookie defenceman, but so far i am encouraged by the lack of negatives. he does not appear to have serious weaknesses he needs to work on. it would not surprise me if he appeared to struggle a little next year against better competition, but i am hopeful he can build on this experience.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
The 1 game I watched - one of the last of the season- he looked really good. Mobile, physical, kept things simple and played an overall effective game. Skated well with the puck too.

LOL @ Johnny, couldn't even look up the most simplest of stats without screwing it up

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
He looked like the best defenceman in his own zone on the team. He made the quick, simple, correct play almost every time, which is nowhere near as easy as it looks and which a lot of defenders can't do consistently. He reminded me of Hjalmarsson lite, more or less plays in two zones but has command and confidence in those areas.

Reactions: RussianRacket

BrilliantBroReferee

May 18, 2021
Another hype job by Jim Benning. I remeber the times 2 years ago when all of Jim picks were going to make an impact.

I have question for evrybody. How many of our draft picks in the last 7 years would crack the 2009-2013 team and get real minutes to develop?

Last edited:

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Another hype job by Jim Benning. I remeber the times 2 years ago when all o Jim picks were going to make an impact.

I have question for evrybody. How many of our draft picks in the last 7 years would crack the 2009-2013 team and get real minutes to develop?
Nothing you've said has anything to do with what anyone in this thread is talking about. No one who has posted in it at any point in the last few months has mentioned Benning's drafting record or cited Woo as an example of it.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I for one is excited for Woo. I think he could become a solid bottom pairing who brings physical element for this team in the Future

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad