Prospect Info: Jett Woo, Pt. II

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Look at Hamonic's contract.

But he's also the only one that might be a passable top 4 of those three. A guy like Woo is unlikely to be ready for such a task (honestly unlikely to ever be) so if he's going to force his way onto the roster it's at the expense of guys like Poolman, Julevi or Schenn.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Based on the FA signings today, it would not hurt to have Rathbone / Woo continue their strong showing down in the A. Give them top unit time and situations. Better than sitting on the bench watching the older guys play.

Reactions: deckercky

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Hamonic and Schenn contracts are the perfect term for Woo's development. I expect, if he earns it, he will get a taste of NHL action this season. Likewise, 10-20 games the following season. Followed by a roster spot starting 23/24. At that point he'll have just turned 23 and have played 2 to 2.5 seasons in the AHL. If he doesn't follow this trajectory then he probably won't be an NHL regular. I'm betting he will be.

Reactions: MarkMM

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Look at Hamonic's contract.
So we trade the best one? He also has a ntc for the first year - so I don’t think that assumption is entirely a guarantee.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
So we trade the best one? He also has a ntc for the first year - so I don’t think that assumption is entirely a guarantee.

What I meant is that he would get a big bonus starting second year.

So if we need to trade him next off season, it would be doable.

Reactions: Peen

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
What I meant is that he would get a big bonus starting second year.

So if we need to trade him next off season, it would be doable.
oh, then i agree

Blackjackz

Jun 23, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Woo is still a project... he will need at least 2 years of seasoning... I suspect he will be pressured to develop into a stay at home Dman... he needs to work on his decision making, passing out of the zone... but I think this kid could end up being a reliable defender, who can hit and log serious minutes... time will tell...

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
Woo is still a project... he will need at least 2 years of seasoning... I suspect he will be pressured to develop into a stay at home Dman... he needs to work on his decision making, passing out of the zone... but I think this kid could end up being a reliable defender, who can hit and log serious minutes... time will tell...

Wasn't he paired up with Rathbone for most of last year? Would be nice if they could continue to develop that chemistry and one day be a solid top 4 pairing for us down the road.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

A good path for Woo would be to impress at camp, be one of the first callups, get some NHL games under his belt and show some promise, then crack the team the following year.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
A good path for Woo would be to impress at camp, be one of the first callups, get some NHL games under his belt and show some promise, then crack the team the following year.
I think this is the best case scenario for Woo. Great if he can do it. I think he is probably more likely to get a regular gig in 23/24. He now has to contend with a list of veteran defenders like Hunt who can play both sides. Schenn. And Keeper, who has ample amounts of the toughness quality.

Reactions: MarkMM and F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think this is the best case scenario for Woo. Great if he can do it. I think he is probably more likely to get a regular gig in 23/24. He now has to contend with a list of veteran defenders like Hunt who can play both sides. Schenn. And Keeper, who has ample amounts of the toughness quality.

Agreed. Woo is also waiver exempt until 23-24 so he's got some time.

I think Schenn would be a great mentor for Woo though.

Reactions: iceburg

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Give Woo some heavy minutes in Abbotsford this year, try to use him in every situation and let him develop. It would be cool if he earned his way to first callup, and hopefully oneday become Rathbone's defensive partner.

That'd be good. It'll be interesting, however, to see how his season progresses. Given all the tweener vets the Canucks have signed, it might be difficult for Woo to find a lot of ice time on merit in Abbotsford. I'd like to see him paired with Hunt, if Hunt gets sent down. (Perhaps if it isn't Hunt, it's destined to be Juolevi, if he passes through waivers.)

WishfulThinker

Jun 10, 2021
I'm hopeful for Woo.

He plays the type of game I appreciate and I was glad to see him keep his head above water in the AHL. Hopefully he can do the same when the AHL fully normalizes but there's reason to think he can be a good NHLer.

I expect him to be down on the farm again for the whole year, and I wouldn't be surprised if Rathbone joins him again.

Reactions: NomadicCanadian

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This is a huge year for Woo in the AHL. His freshman audition in Utica was reasonably promising. But let's face it, it was basically a 26-game schedule in a watered down league, with a lot of the better AHL players languishing on NHL taxi squads.

He'll get big minutes in Abbotsford playing in a very competitive AHL and he likely won't be paired with somebody as mobile and dynamic as Jack Rathbone.

Still, when you examine the Canuck prospect depth on the blueline, he might be the best they have. Everybody else is playing either in junior or college, and as of now haven't even earned a contract yet from the Canucks.

Reactions: Get North

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Which one of Myers, Hamonic, and Poolman are tradeable with the term remaining?
I'm certain some GM out there would value Myers as of today.

Successfully dumping Gudbranson and then watching him still find landing places around the league has destroyed my faith in GM's.

Reactions: Hit the post

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
I'm certain some GM out there would value Myers as of today.

Successfully dumping Gudbranson and then watching him still find landing places around the league has destroyed my faith in GM's.

Trading Myers for anything without retaining would do a lot to rebalance our cap structure and position us strongly for the future, the wave of defencemen signings Benning did should allow us to shuffle things. Still looking for a genuine top two RHD but the problem is we currently have 4 RHD who are ideally bottom pairing, but Myers sticks out because he's being paid like a top pairing. Without Myers we may still have that top pairing hole but at least we're not handicapped with a bottom pairing guy being paid top pairing money (I think Myers can occasionally handle middle pairing minutes but he's been best when in a #5 role).

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hughes, Rathbone and possibly Woo....can it be that we're finally entering an era where the Canucks draft and develop d-men for the NHL roster? If so, it's about six years overdue.

With home-grown d-men, they wouldn't be forced to sign or trade for the likes of Myers, OEL, Benn, Gudbranson, Zel Zotto, Fantenberg and the seemingly endless list of d-men who've been paraded through this roster of the years.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Those underlying numbers of Rathbone and Woo together in the AHL
:towel:
They were such a good pairing.
Perfect ying and yang chemistry.

I would love to see these two in the NHL on a bottom pairing

ohh yeah and a side note. Tyler Myers sucks

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Rathbone and Woo together in Utica looked like an NHL pairing.

I dont think theres room or he even gets a chance with the shiny new toys but Woo could push for a spot this fall

Reactions: Breakers

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Given that Woo was clearly a Brackett pick, the theory goes that Woo will be traded? Maybe at the deadline?

Best thing for Woo is to show how big and tough he is.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
His main challenge is going to be staying healthy. He plays a heavy game that is rough on a body. If all goes well, I feel he has all the tools to become a steady shutdown NHL defenceman by next (22-23) season.

Reactions: Hit the post

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad