Prospect Info: Jett Woo, Pt. II

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Give me some............

200.gif

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Yup Woo looked quite good in his time in Utica if not a bit inconsistent but it was a weird year. Guy won't be an offensive stalwart at the NHL level but his physicality, and defensive ability is really good. Also decent puck moving (gets the puck out quick and doesn't hold it for too long like a lot of other defensive defenders)

"5 points in 50 games" like no one is going to look up and easily find that he played under 30 ???

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sooner or later the Canucks will actually draft a decent d-man from the WHL. It may not happen in my lifetime, but after awhile the law of averages has to take over.

I mean how many times can you draft a d-man from the Dub in rounds 1-7 and have them flame out year after year? Heck, half the guys they draft from the WHL don't even get a contract offer.

Maybe Woo will be the guy...or maybe Lind...or Focht. But I'm not holding my breath.

Reactions: mossey3535

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Watched Woo a few times this year. Mobile, physical, good outlet. Not much offense but looked very good paired with Rathbone. I see him getting a few games next year when the inevitable injuries hit the top 7. He easily projects as a bottom pairing RHD with a full time roster spot to start the 22/23 season or a year later. It's a stretch to say he will be a top 4 shutdown RHD but he is young and has lots of room to grow so who knows.

Overall, really excited about this prospect.

And no JC he did not regress this past year. In fact, he took a significant step forward.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
5 points in 28 games which works out to a 17 point season in 82 games. For an offensive defensman....
I don't think you're actually interested in knowing what you're talking about, but he wasn't projected as an offensive defenceman in the NHL and has been used in a defensive role and been praised for his performance in it. From a 2018 draft capsule:

"The key thing to remember about Woo is that he’s probably not destined to be a high-octane offensive player. But if you want a meat-and-potatoes defender displaying some old school physical play and some offensive upside, Woo has those attributes in spades."

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
I actually liked the pick when it was made. Im not expecting him to be an offensive defender, if he can be a steady, responsible dman with some physicality on the right side thats a win

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
With the RHD clogged on the big club for at least the next two years (Myers, Hamonic, Poolman, Schenn), is there a future here for Woo? Seems like a long time for a high draft pick to be marinating in the minors - means he won't get a sniff of the roster until he is at least 23.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
With the RHD clogged on the big club for at least the next two years (Myers, Hamonic, Poolman, Schenn), is there a future here for Woo? Seems like a long time for a high draft pick to be marinating in the minors - means he won't get a sniff of the roster until he is at least 23.
He can change that if he wants to, by playing his way onto the team.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
If anything, I like his odds more after today to get a shot sooner rather than later.

Myers has only played 82 games twice in his entire career. Poolman missed time last year. Hamonic's career high of games played is 74, he's a lock to get injured.

Reactions: Love

Love

Feb 29, 2012

He damn well better have a future here. He's easily our most important prospect. None of our defenceman can actually defend so having a guy like Woo who is a right handed defenceman who projects to be solid defensively, he's by far our most valuable prospect at this point (I'm not including Rathbone and Podkolzin).

Reactions: arttk and sting101

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
have you seen Benning operate

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
He damn well better have a future here. He's easily our most important prospect. None of our defenceman can actually defend so having a guy like Woo who is a right handed defenceman who projects to be solid defensively, he's by far our most valuable prospect at this point (I'm not including Rathbone and Podkolzin).

DiPietro is also more valuable than Woo, the need at RD notwithstanding, because DiPietro is a level above Woo as a prospect.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
DiPietro is also more valuable than Woo, the need at RD notwithstanding, because DiPietro is a level above Woo as a prospect.

I disagree wholeheartedly but understand where you’re coming from. DiPietro has lots of potential but the Canucks basically didn’t let him play hockey last season so that makes him a question mark. Also in general goalies are more random and harder to project than deffenceman.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I disagree wholeheartedly but understand where you’re coming from. DiPietro has lots of potential but the Canucks basically didn’t let him play hockey last season so that makes him a question mark. Also in general goalies are more random and harder to project than deffenceman.

Fair enough, we will agree to disagree wholeheartedly because in my opinion DiPietro is clearly above Woo.

Reactions: Love

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
If Woo forces his way on the team, I'm sure Benning is more than happy to make room.

If anything's this motivates Woo to work harder.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
If Woo forces his way on the team, I'm sure Benning is more than happy to make room.

If anything's this motivates Woo to work harder.
Which one of Myers, Hamonic, and Poolman are tradeable with the term remaining?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: