Prospect Info: Jett Woo, Pt. II

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
His main challenge is going to be staying healthy. He plays a heavy game that is rough on a body. If all goes well, I feel he has all the tools to become a steady shutdown NHL defenceman by next (22-23) season.

I think he is physically there and the least of the worries should be his physical health or injuries. I think his biggest challenge will be the speed of the NHL - as is most players who look great in the AHL and don't transition.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Canucks usually always run into a string of injuries on their blueline....and when you consider that Myers, OEL, Hamonic and Schenn are 30 or older, there's bound to be the need for a lot of callups from Abbotsford.

Canucks do have some NHL-AHL 'tweeners down on the farm who could step up in the pinch. But here's hoping that the guy at the head of the list for an early call-up is Woo. Would be very interesting to see how he adjusts to the NHL pace.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Woo has the most development upside of any D-man in the system. That's not saying much but it's worth pointing out. They either have guys who have shown they are tweeners (Brisebois), solid depth veterans (Hunt & Schenn), or prospects that project to be tweeners (Jurmo). Woo is the only guy that has significant NHL upside.
(Caveat: I am very curious about Persson)

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Woo has the most development upside of any D-man in the system. That's not saying much but it's worth pointing out. They either have guys who have shown they are tweeners (Brisebois), solid depth veterans (Hunt & Schenn), or prospects that project to be tweeners (Jurmo). Woo is the only guy that has significant NHL upside.
Rathbone? Or is already considered nhl player? I think Joulevi also has potential if included of course if we include nhl players Hughes had the most potential. But yeh non nhl d Woo is the best d prospect.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

i'd agree woo is next after rathbone and juolevi, who are both still prospects in our system.

otherwise, you run into covid interuptus for development of prospect from last year and this year.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I have Persson right behind Woo. Only guys that I think have realistic top 4 potential.

Reactions: iceburg

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
i'd agree woo is next after rathbone and juolevi, who are both still prospects in our system.

otherwise, you run into covid interuptus for development of prospect from last year and this year.
If Rathbone and Juolevi count as prospects, I would rank them like this:

Rathbone (top pair potential)
Woo (top 4 potential)
Persson (top 4 potential)
Juolevi (borderline top 4 potential)

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Rathbone? Or is already considered nhl player? I think Joulevi also has potential if included of course if we include nhl players Hughes had the most potential. But yeh non nhl d Woo is the best d prospect.

yeah, I wasn’t considering Juolevi or Rathbone in the thought process. Rathbone I would group with the other solid NHLers but I do appreciate he has a lot of growth ahead of him and he may have some dips in his development as he fights for ice time on the left side.
Juolevi, to me, is beyond a prospect and if he plays in the AHL this year for any stretch of time he will fall squarely into the Brisebois category. He’ll be 24 before the playoffs end this coming season.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009

Juolevi was drafted a lifetime ago. He’s not a prospect anymore.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I have Persson right behind Woo. Only guys that I think have realistic top 4 potential.
Jurmo is a polarizing prospect. A 6'4" and 200 d-man who can skate like the wind but supposedly lacking in the hockey sense department. But I see a couple of scouting services that rank each NHL team's prospects have this guy solidly in the top-10 for the Canucks.

I'm not sure I'd rank him behind Persson, but it's a big year for both these guys. Jurmo is trying to make a team in the Finnish Liga and Persson will play a full season in Kamloops. Will be interesting to see where there at by the end of the season.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Juolevi was drafted a lifetime ago. He’s not a prospect anymore.
Three or four more years down in the AHL and i think he can be a regular call up as a #6/7 by then. Dmen take time to develop, dont wanna rush these things, you people are too impatient...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Canucks really need Woo to work out.....a right shot d-man who skates well; hits a ton; and looks like he might be able to generate some offense. At least he did in junior.

Canucks have drafted a bunch of d-man in the last number of drafts; guys like Jurmo, Persson, Truscott, Myrenberg, Gabrielson, Utenen, Gunnarson and Brassard.....but they're either 'longer-term projects' or who guys who have 'aged out' as legitimate prospects.

Other than Hughes and possibly Rathbone, it's been a dry run for the Canucks in drafting d-men. Sooner or later somebody has to step up.

Reactions: Kreator

Blackjackz

Jun 23, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I am a firm believer that Dmen take longer to season, especially the type of Dman expected of Woo... A couple of years in the AHL learning the pro game, learning to be a pro, developing his craft, building confidence and (hopefully) a sound foundation for defensive decision making, coiuld turn Jett into the type blueliner that the Canucks and every team craves... not flashy.. but solid.. that would be great...

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I am a firm believer that Dmen take longer to season, especially the type of Dman expected of Woo... A couple of years in the AHL learning the pro game, learning to be a pro, developing his craft, building confidence and (hopefully) a sound foundation for defensive decision making, coiuld turn Jett into the type blueliner that the Canucks and every team craves... not flashy.. but solid.. that would be great...

Agreed. He also has two years of waivers exemption left. He's basically the type of Dman the team was looking for this past summer.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
a 23 year old with 23 nhl games is a prospect by any objective definition .

Hahahahahah what??? He’s in his draft +6 year hahahahahah what in Christ’s sake are you talking about.

His 23 games played has nothing to do with prospect or not. It has to do with he’s the shits.

draft +6 and he’s a prospect. My god this board sometimes ….

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
he is a prospect by any objective definition. for example, here is one.

NHL Prospect Criteria - Hockey's Future

How often does a top 5 pick fail to establish themselves as a bonafide NHLer by their D+6 season, and then go on to become a legit NHLer?

I mean, objectively, he's still technically a prospect, but that definition is meaningless if he finds himself behind both Rathbone and Hunt on the depth chart after training camp. Personally, I'd love to see OJ prove he's a solid NHL dman this season, but I just don't think it's reasonable to expect that to happen.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
How often does a top 5 pick fail to establish themselves as a bonafide NHLer by their D+6 season, and then go on to become a legit NHLer?

I mean, objectively, he's still technically a prospect, but that definition is meaningless if he finds himself behind both Rathbone and Hunt on the depth chart after training camp. Personally, I'd love to see OJ prove he's a solid NHL dman this season, but I just don't think it's reasonable to expect that to happen.
Juolevi was pretty good in games he had lots of ice-time in. His game in the AHL is dominant at this point and he needs regular playing time to establish himself as a regular NHLer. Last season he was behind Benn, now it's Rathbone.

Is a kid with 22 NHL games in a good role to come in and out of the line-up sporadically? Is it good for his development? That's my only concern with Juolevi as a pressbox D.

Juolevi will be a NHLer in this league though, plenty of teams could use his IQ and puck-moving skills. His physical battles have improved which was a weakness. There's guys like Haydn Fleury, Derek Forbort, Ryan McDonagh that take along time to be solid defencemen.

Last edited:

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Juolevi was pretty good in games he had lots of ice-time in. His game in the AHL is dominant at this point and he needs regular playing time to establish himself as a regular NHLer. Last season he was behind Benn, now it's Rathbone.

Is a kid with 22 NHL games in a good role to come in and out of the line-up sporadically? Is it good for his development? That's my only concern with Juolevi as a pressbox D.

Juolevi will be a NHLer in this league though, plenty of teams could use his IQ and puck-moving skills. His physical battles have improved which was a weakness. There's guys like Haydn Fleury, Derek Forbort, Ryan McDonagh that take along time to be solid defencemen.

His weakness, at least as I saw it last season, was his skating when defending against the rush. Cedes the blueline readily because he fears being beat wide. Ends up getting beat wide anyway.

Not sure that this is correctable at his stage of development.

Reactions: bh53

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003

This. On every point. Exactly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad