Pre-Game Talk: Jets vs Preds - Sat May 5 8:30pm CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Feels like the winner of game 5 is going to win the series. Both teams are so tough to beat twice in a row.

Warning - I “may” have to bail on the GDT. I’m in Surrey BC for the weekend and had some work emergencies as well. If I am able to pull it off it will be my first on location GDT. If anyone wants to jump in here let me know. I’ll be back on track for sure for Game 6.

I had so many ideas to collaborate on next season but I'm just not ready yet! :eek:

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Agreed. And hierarchy will be restored and all will be forgotten. I'd have to imagine Blake would have waded in today with MP and pulled in the reigns.

Reins. Sounds imaginary alright. Wheeler has said before that he's okay with outspoken comments, and he probably is again.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
Man. The fact that a 4th liner wasn't in for another is not why the jets lost. They scored 1 fkn goal and it was way late. Maybe lines 1 and 2 should be held to the fire. People forget how much Perrault was struggling before the injury. 1 goal in like 30 games. He hasn't been a difference maker. We needed the big guns to score 2 more goals to win that one.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Absolutely true. But you can't undermine the coach in practice. You just can't do it. And as a coach you can't let that go unpunished either as other players see that, especially young ones and start to think that it's okay. Then you lose the room and you are out of a job.

Do we know for sure that MP “undermined the coach” at practice? Doesn’t seem like something he’d do, at this point in the playoffs, and as a vet with a seemingly strong relationship with his coach and team.

If, on the other hand, he said something like “Playing Gramps over me? WTF are you thinking, you gum-chewing clod?” Then I get it. My sympathies are still with MP, but I get it.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Do we know for sure that MP “undermined the coach” at practice? Doesn’t seem like something he’d do, at this point in the playoffs, and as a vet with a seemingly strong relationship with his coach and team.

If, on the other hand, he said something like “Playing Gramps over me? WTF are you thinking, you gum-chewing clod?” Then I get it. My sympathies are still with MP, but I get it.

A new sign for Maurice's office door.

Reactions: Robinson2187

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Man. The fact that a 4th liner wasn't in for another is not why the jets lost. They scored 1 fkn goal and it was way late. Maybe lines 1 and 2 should be held to the fire. People forget how much Perrault was struggling before the injury. 1 goal in like 30 games. He hasn't been a difference maker. We needed the big guns to score 2 more goals to win that one.

there always needs to be a scape goat on HFboards.

that being said. Hendo wasn't imo the best available player to insert to the lineup but oh well. Lets go game 5!!!! big W

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Some people also remember how Perreault looked playing on the 4th line against other 4th lines.

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
Do we know for sure that MP “undermined the coach” at practice?

Of course not. Maurice has jokingly deflected from the question as he has done about player personnel all playoffs and some people are taking his words literally.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
Some people also remember how Perreault looked playing on the 4th line against other 4th lines.
Cool. But that's not why they lost. You have to score goals to win. That's not put on the 4 th line. The big guns need to score. You allow 2 you should win. Bottom line.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Her name is Sam Wheeler, she's done a few things for the Jets as well as outside of the org but as of now she is mostly dedicated to the Jets charity drives.

Board of Directors - Sam Wheeler

She's on the board of directors for the Jets and heads the True North Youth Foundation. If you follow her on twitter like 99% of her posts are charity related. Seems like a gal with a big heart which is probably why Wheeler is a big softie.

Fantastic, always great to see the family's of the players getting involved in the community.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Cool. But that's not why they lost. You have to score goals to win. That's not put on the 4 th line. The big guns need to score. You allow 2 you should win. Bottom line.

It's true, the big guns need to score. Still, if the Preds only score once in game 4 it goes to OT (maybe) and then it's a crapshoot, and there's probably no trap. And in game 2, when it did go to OT, maybe Dano results in a better ending. A lot of what ifs, but what isn't an if is there are better options than Hendricks to maximize the roster.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
It's true, the big guns need to score. Still, if the Preds only score once in game 4 it goes to OT (maybe) and then it's a crapshoot, and there's probably no trap. And in game 2, when it did go to OT, maybe Dano results in a better ending. A lot of what ifs, but what isn't an if is there are better options than Hendricks to maximize the roster.
Totally agree. But to blame that on why they lost game 4 is wrong. You score 1 goal and you're probably gonna lose 99% of those games.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Totally agree. But to blame that on why they lost game 4 is wrong. You score 1 goal and you're probably gonna lose 99% of those games.

I’m not sure MP over Hendricks is the difference last night, but as others have said, you look for every advantage in such a situation, and in no scenario is Hendy an advantage over MP.

Reactions: Coach

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
If Perreault doesn't play the next game I am done with Maurice. My biggest fear right now is that Maurice keeps Perreault out of the lineup to make a point about "who's the boss" now that all this has come in public.

I'm pretty sure Maurice would rather win a Stanley Cup than choose a sub-optimal line-up to prove he's the man. But feel free to spend time worrying about whatever you like. ;)

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Judging by the GDT and PGT it would seem a lot of folks thought we were winning in 4 strait against the preds.

Hopefully we can get MP back so we don't have to inundate every thread with PoMo and Hendricks talk.
After splitting games 1 and 2, the Jets could take the series by winning their home games. Time will tell how losing game 4 will effect their fortunes. Thats what I think a lot of people are worried about. (At least I am)

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Just heard the exchange and I'm disapointed in Maurice. Why even have media scrums if your not going to give a legit answer to question. Acting like a jerk and making stupid comments about his hair is just really unprofessional. He could have handled it differently by saying something like when healthy Perrault helps us by driving the play on whichever line he's in. All stuff he's said before.

What if the real answer is that he's watched Perreault on the ice, and still thinks he's favoring some injury? Medically cleared to play does not mean you're uninjured, people play injured all the time. Should he spill the beans on that and give the Preds inside info on how Perreault's injury is affecting him?

It seems to me that most often when Maurice jokes around, it's because he doesn't want to tip his hand to the opposing team, e.g. with line-up decisions. Not to dick around the media. He generally gives very thoughtful answers to most questions. All the joking about Perreault started with a question on him being out of the line-up.

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Preds 4th line scored in our barn. Now its time to return the favour. And wouldnt it be sweet if it were to be the opening goal of the game.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
What if the real answer is that he's watched Perreault on the ice, and still thinks he's favoring some injury? Medically cleared to play does not mean you're uninjured, people play injured all the time. Should he spill the beans on that and give the Preds inside info on how Perreault's injury is affecting him?

It seems to me that most often when Maurice jokes around, it's because he doesn't want to tip his hand to the opposing team, e.g. with line-up decisions. Not to dick around the media. He generally gives very thoughtful answers to most questions. All the joking about Perreault started with a question on him being out of the line-up.

He was asked if Perrault would make them difficult to match against. He could have easily said as a play driver Perrault would help whatever line he is own etc. He wouldn't have had to tip his hand at all. IMO I think he just didn't like that the question was alluding to him making a stupid lineup decision and got defensive and that was how he chose to handle it.

Reactions: pucka lucka

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Listened to the Maurice interview - when asked about Perrault not playing in game 4 -Maurice's reply was -- "bad attitude in the morning skate" --so what does that tell you? and what do you think happened, and what will happen for the "next game ?"

This is what probably happened- Perrault was telling the guys at the morning skate that he was perfectly fine, but Maurice had not given him the OK and clearance to play. Perreault may have said something to piss off Maurice, and tried to belittle him by saying--"I don't know why he'd want to play Hendricks over me"-- I'm perfectly ready, and I should be in the lineup--"but still hasn't given me the ok."

Likely something along this line happened, and Maurice felt his authority was being challenged --so he decided to make a statement. I can see this happening, and if this is what happened Maurice did the right thing-"you can't have the players running the team."

With that being said--in the end--"winning is King" and Maurice would be severely judged and criticized if he plays Hendricks in Game 5 -- and if we lose, it could really tarnish his image as coach, and contribute to the possibility he could lose his job over his stubbornness on this matter. There would be other things as well that would have to happen-- but this issue could cost the Jet's the series-if MP is not back in.

What will likely happen- I think Maurice will realize this, and have to give in, for the good of the team-- but he still made his point and was able to save face, as to "who's the boss". I think he'll talk with MP, and they'll work it out, for the good of the team, and their future relationship.

Result-- Perrault will be back in the lineup -- I'm 95 % sure-- because Maurice will not want to be remembered or judged for losing this series on his "ego" and stubborness for not playing MP. If Perrault is not in--you can bet Roslo or Mathias will be in, as there is to much "backlash" with having Hendricks play. Maurice can't let his ego get in the way of the team here--and I believe he's no fool, and full well realizes this.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Listened to the Maurice interview - when asked about Perrault not playing in game 4 -Maurice's reply was -- "bad attitude in the morning skate" --so what does that tell you? and what do you think happened, and what will happen for the "next game ?"

This is what probably happened- Perrault was telling the guys at the morning skate that he was perfectly fine, but Maurice had not given him the OK and clearance to play. Perreault may have said something to piss off Maurice, and tried to belittle him by saying--"I don't know why he'd want to play Hendricks over me"-- I'm perfectly ready, and I should be in the lineup--"but still hasn't given me the ok."

Likely something along this line happened, and Maurice felt his authority was being challenged --so he decided to make a statement. I can see this happening, and if this is what happened Maurice did the right thing-"you can't have the players running the team."

With that being said--in the end--"winning is King" and Maurice would be severely judged and criticized if he plays Hendricks in Game 5 -- and if we lose, it could really tarnish his image as coach, and contribute to the possibility he could lose his job over his stubbornness on this matter. There would be other things as well that would have to happen-- but this issue could cost the Jet's the series-if MP is not back in.

What will likely happen- I think Maurice will realize this, and have to give in, for the good of the team-- but he still made his point and was able to save face, as to "who's the boss". I think he'll talk with MP, and they'll work it out, for the good of the team, and their future relationship.

Result-- Perrault will be back in the lineup -- I'm 95 % sure-- because Maurice will not want to be remembered or judged for losing this series on his "ego" and stubborness for not playing MP. If Perrault is not in--you can bet Roslo or Mathias will be in, as there is to much "backlash" with having Hendricks play. Maurice can't let his ego get in the way of the team here--and I believe he's no fool, and full well realizes this.
Then you woke up...

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Then you woke up...

Can you not do better than that ??? -- we're looking for "constructive" comments on here--that help the forum and make it interesting--then again, maybe that's all you have.:dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad