Pre-Game Talk: Jets vs Preds - Sat May 5 8:30pm CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Listened to the Maurice interview - when asked about Perrault not playing in game 4 -Maurice's reply was -- "bad attitude in the morning skate" --so what does that tell you? and what do you think happened, and what will happen for the "next game ?"

This is what probably happened- Perrault was telling the guys at the morning skate that he was perfectly fine, but Maurice had not given him the OK and clearance to play. Perreault may have said something to piss off Maurice, and tried to belittle him by saying--"I don't know why he'd want to play Hendricks over me"-- I'm perfectly ready, and I should be in the lineup--"but still hasn't given me the ok."

Likely something along this line happened, and Maurice felt his authority was being challenged --so he decided to make a statement. I can see this happening, and if this is what happened Maurice did the right thing-"you can't have the players running the team."

With that being said--in the end--"winning is King" and Maurice would be severely judged and criticized if he plays Hendricks in Game 5 -- and if we lose, it could really tarnish his image as coach, and contribute to the possibility he could lose his job over his stubbornness on this matter. There would be other things as well that would have to happen-- but this issue could cost the Jet's the series-if MP is not back in.

What will likely happen- I think Maurice will realize this, and have to give in, for the good of the team-- but he still made his point and was able to save face, as to "who's the boss". I think he'll talk with MP, and they'll work it out, for the good of the team, and their future relationship.

Result-- Perrault will be back in the lineup -- I'm 95 % sure-- because Maurice will not want to be remembered or judged for losing this series on his "ego" and stubborness for not playing MP. If Perrault is not in--you can bet Roslo or Mathias will be in, as there is to much "backlash" with having Hendricks play. Maurice can't let his ego get in the way of the team here--and I believe he's no fool, and full well realizes this.

If this was the regular season I would agree if Perrault undermined him but its the playoffs and you need to put your ego aside. As a coach he needs to do what he can to get the win, you can't afford any missteps. If you are pissed with him you pull him aside and have a talk about it and put him in to get the win.

Reactions: Coach and GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
If this was the regular season I would agree if Perrault undermined him but its the playoffs and you need to put your ego aside. As a coach he needs to do what he can to get the win, you can't afford any missteps. If you are pissed with him you pull him aside and have a talk about it and put him in to get the win.

Very good post Surixon !!! --and I totally agree with you, and how Maurice should have handled this. With his recent success as a coach, I think his ego got a little bit "puffy" and he wants to believe he's the King around here.

I think your suggestion is the way it should have been handled--especially with a possible Stanley Cup on the line. I like your approach way better, and I also think Maurice likely regrets how he handled this. Just a good talk would have been fine !!!

If Maurice doesn't respond properly--this could really tarnish his image, and maybe contribute to him losing his job down the road--and I think he would realize that.

Note--I'd be absolutely shocked to see Hendricks in tomorrow night !!!

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
Listened to the Maurice interview - when asked about Perrault not playing in game 4 -Maurice's reply was -- "bad attitude in the morning skate" --so what does that tell you? and what do you think happened, and what will happen for the "next game ?"

This is what probably happened- Perrault was telling the guys at the morning skate that he was perfectly fine, but Maurice had not given him the OK and clearance to play. Perreault may have said something to piss off Maurice, and tried to belittle him by saying--"I don't know why he'd want to play Hendricks over me"-- I'm perfectly ready, and I should be in the lineup--"but still hasn't given me the ok."

Likely something along this line happened, and Maurice felt his authority was being challenged --so he decided to make a statement. I can see this happening, and if this is what happened Maurice did the right thing-"you can't have the players running the team."

With that being said--in the end--"winning is King" and Maurice would be severely judged and criticized if he plays Hendricks in Game 5 -- and if we lose, it could really tarnish his image as coach, and contribute to the possibility he could lose his job over his stubbornness on this matter. There would be other things as well that would have to happen-- but this issue could cost the Jet's the series-if MP is not back in.

What will likely happen- I think Maurice will realize this, and have to give in, for the good of the team-- but he still made his point and was able to save face, as to "who's the boss". I think he'll talk with MP, and they'll work it out, for the good of the team, and their future relationship.

Result-- Perrault will be back in the lineup -- I'm 95 % sure-- because Maurice will not want to be remembered or judged for losing this series on his "ego" and stubborness for not playing MP. If Perrault is not in--you can bet Roslo or Mathias will be in, as there is to much "backlash" with having Hendricks play. Maurice can't let his ego get in the way of the team here--and I believe he's no fool, and full well realizes this.

We need a double face palm emoji!

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
I already know I am going to be a nervous wreck. I am like the team, they seem to play better down in games, or tied in the series. Not as good when having a series lead. I am confident and enjoy watching more up in the series. Nervous wreck when tied in the series. Especially in a 2-2 tie in Nashville

Reactions: untouchable21

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
Totally agree. But to blame that on why they lost game 4 is wrong. You score 1 goal and you're probably gonna lose 99% of those games.
If the 4th line didn't give up that first goal we easily could of had a different game. That goal was against the flow of the game at that point. No way they trap if we score first.
Why choose a player that makes both your 3rd and 4th line weaker. If those lines can't score becomes easier for the Preds to shut down our first two lines. We know the result of putting Hendricks in game 4 impossible to know result if we selected someone else.

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011

Very good post Surixon !!! --and I totally agree with you, and how Maurice should have handled this. With his recent success as a coach, I think his ego got a little bit "puffy" and he wants to believe he's the King around here.

I think your suggestion is the way it should have been handled--especially with a possible Stanley Cup on the line. I like your approach way better, and I also think Maurice likely regrets how he handled this. Just a good talk would have been fine !!!

If Maurice doesn't respond properly--this could really tarnish his image, and maybe contribute to him losing his job down the road--and I think he would realize that.

Note--I'd be absolutely shocked to see Hendricks in tomorrow night !!!

Makes assumptions about what happened. Then criticizes Maurice's response to the assumption. Then psychoanalyzes Maurice afterwards. Ends with saying he may be fired for it. Well done.

Reactions: ERYX and Deedog99

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
I'm pretty sure Maurice would rather win a Stanley Cup than choose a sub-optimal line-up to prove he's the man. But feel free to spend time worrying about whatever you like. ;)
Great so we have a coach who feels Hendricks gives us the better option of winning rather than playing MP.
That's a better thing to focus on.

Reactions: Board Bard

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
Great so we have a coach who feels Hendricks gives us the better option of winning rather than playing MP.

We don't know this is true either. We don't know how hurt MP is. MP wanting to play and saying he's ready does not say how healthy he is. My kid earlier this year wanted to play even though I could tell he was hurt. He said he was fine. I knew better. It wasn't even the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Reactions: Puckatron 3000

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone

Feel free to come to whatever conclusions you like. My conclusion, based on Maurice always playing MP when he's healthy, is that he didn't view MP as ready to go. Seems reasonable to me there could be some lingering health issues, considering how bad Perreault got ragdolled a bunch of times a few weeks ago, badly enough that he couldn't finish a playoff game.

Or yeah, Maurice suddenly decided that Hendricks is better than Perreault. :P

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
Are you sure Pomo wasn't kidding when he said that? I think maybe he was..because he gave a different explanation a few sentences later.

HockeyGuy100

Apr 15, 2018
MP may of been upset he was being slotted in on the 4th line instead of the 3rd line.. maybe he felt it was a demotion unfairly caused from coming back from an injury and said something leading to a "bad attitude in the morning skate".

We all just want to see the Jets dress the best team and if we end up losing with that at least we can say we gave ourselves the best chance possible. To lose tight games with a sub-optimal lineup is frustrating beyond belief.. we will always wonder what if. Hopefully the Jets can just win the series and we can forget about all of this soon! I'm still confident the Jets can get it done. We almost won both games in Nashville in games 1 and 2 and we are fully capable of doing it again!!

Reactions: GNP

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
We don't know this is true either. We don't know how hurt MP is. MP wanting to play and saying he's ready does not say how healthy he is. My kid earlier this year wanted to play even though I could tell he was hurt. He said he was fine. I knew better. It wasn't even the Stanley Cup playoffs.
I asked this question earlier, but has there been any other reports on MP's medical clearance other than his self report and the media's repeating of that self report. I remember earlier this year when Lowry went back in after an injury and then was re-injured in short order and missed an extended amount of time. Everyone blamed Maurice for rushing him back in and risking his health. It is not like the public gets a detailed report on the injury and any associated risks.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I want the JETS to take this in 6 games.

But I think JETS take this in 7 games.

Premise: Jets are a lesser team when hesitant or careful.
Hypothesis: The Jets need to go HAM from the drop of the puck through to the buzzer. Laine's last shift rush (game 4) was a thing of beauty. Need more of those rushes, foot on throat, balls to the wall, nothing less.
Feasibility: Relies on rolling 4 lines wherein the least used line provides >11 minutes in 60.
Novelty: None.
Preliminary Data: Game 3, and arguably, some segments of game 4.
Conclusion: you know.

200w.gif

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I feel like this is a must win.
Not as much as you will for game 6 if we don't win tomorrow. But fundamentally I agree. Teams have won losing game 5 in our situation, but the odds drop from +75% with a win to below 25% with a loss.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If Mo does that he may as well stay in Nashville after the loss!
What if they win? But in all seriousness I think everything has been taken care of behind closed doors. After the game skate Mo will announce MP is good to go. MP will be interviewed and throw out a few cliches and say he just wants to help the team win and the team will move on.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
What if they win? But in all seriousness I think everything has been taken care of behind closed doors. After the game skate Mo will announce MP is good to go. MP will be interviewed and throw out a few cliches and say he just wants to help the team win and the team will move on.

Stupid decisions are what separates Mo from a good coach like Lavs!

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Stupid decisions are what separates Mo from a good coach like Lavs!

Lets not kid ourselves. Lavs has made dumb moves as well such as removing a clearly superior player in Fiala out of the lineup. Moves like that is why I feel the Jets can come back in this series. I just wish we had made Lavy pay for the awful decision to take Fiala out of the lineup.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria

But wait. Everything in life is binary, just black and white! Everything else is too complex to consider!

FWIW I agree with you. But let's just hedge our bets now so when we have an excuse to turn tears into anger if we have to.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Lets not kid ourselves. Lavs has made dumb moves as well such as removing a clearly superior player in Fiala out of the lineup. Moves like that is why I feel the Jets can come back in this series. I just wish we had made Lavy pay for the awful decision to take Fiala out of the lineup.

Yeah Lavs is a dumb coach, first place was just a fluke as was his team playing in the Stanley Cup Finals last season and his Stanley Cup ring!

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
He was asked if Perrault would make them difficult to match against. He could have easily said as a play driver Perrault would help whatever line he is own etc. He wouldn't have had to tip his hand at all. IMO I think he just didn't like that the question was alluding to him making a stupid lineup decision and got defensive and that was how he chose to handle it.

These jokes on Perreault began with these comments/questions from the media.

"On Matthieu Perreault, who we spoke to, he was pretty clear that if it was his choice he felt he could have played last night"

"Would he have been considered a healthy scratch?"

I think it's reasonable (and should be no surprise to us fans) that Maurice dodges these types of questions, and for good reason (avoid discussing player injuries). The question about line matching occurred just after that. Sure, he made one more joke about Perreault then, because he was already joking around about Perreault. I just don't read into this the same things you're seeing.

At the end of the interview, when he was asked again about Perreault, he started to say "I'm not saying how close he is", then "he feels he's ready to play" (implying to me, that Maurice might not agree).

Again, to me, all the available evidence points to Maurice not thinking Perreault was ready. This could either mean he thinks Perreault wouldn't have played well, or is at risk of reinjury, or both. It's a decision I can respect.

Anyway, that's how I see it. No problem surixon if you're reading it differently, but I disagree.

Reactions: ERYX
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad