Pre-Game Talk: Jets vs Preds - Sat May 5 8:30pm CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yeah Lavs is a dumb coach, first place was just a fluke as was his team playing in the Stanley Cup Finals last season and his Stanley Cup ring!
But you praise him for the exact same things you criticize Maurice for. Is there a rational you base your decisions on?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
But you praise him for the exact same things you criticize Maurice for. Is there a rational you base your decisions on?

Most NHL coaches seem to have the same flaw. I think we are still in a transitionary phase with regards to how NHL coaches make decisions. I think in another 5 years the glue guys wills will be a thing of the past and analytics will play a far larger role in lineup composition and utilization. I think Maurice understands analytics quite well and utilizes the data better than a good majority of coaches but there is still some old school stubbornness in him that he needs to continue to purge.

Reactions: Jack722 and GNP

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
Ok enough about game 4 almost time to start Game Day Thread for Game 5.
If the coach is our biggest concern we still have a chance.
Go Jets Go

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Maurice made a mistake so whatever. It's not a first for a coach to mess up a roster decision. Lavi looks like a genius for putting in Hartnell, both coaches were getting equally ripped before puck drop.

The thing that actually matters is that the Jets understand what went wrong in that game and fix it. Maurice understands neutral zone play really well so I think things are good on that front.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
Maurice made a mistake so whatever. It's not a first for a coach to mess up a roster decision. Lavi looks like a genius for putting in Hartnell, both coaches were getting equally ripped before puck drop.

The thing that actually matters is that the Jets understand what went wrong in that game and fix it. Maurice understands neutral zone play really well so I think things are good on that front.
How about we get some production from the big boys instead of worrying about the fkn 4th line!!

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Most NHL coaches seem to have the same flaw. I think we are still in a transitionary phase with regards to how NHL coaches make decisions. I think in another 5 years the glue guys wills will be a thing of the past and analytics will play a far larger role in lineup composition and utilization. I think Maurice understands analytics quite well and utilizes the data better than a good majority of coaches but there is still some old school stubbornness in him that he needs to continue to purge.
I've posted many times on the glue factor and group dynamics in which I find fascinating. As fans we can look at stats and make judgements. But in the room a whole other world exists. The coach sees first hand how each player interacts with the next. What weight to they place on the "clue guy" who sits with the rookie talking hockey and drawing him into the group? Or the guy who steps quickly into any internal conflict to restore order, or the guy how goes 1st on the ice after a bad loss and drives as hard as he would in a game 7. The calm hand of the captain balanced against the PB guy who calls out the young superstar for floating or cheating for goals even when he is not in the lineup.

Reactions: Puckatron 3000

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
zGHQb4O.gif

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I've posted many times on the glue factor and group dynamics in which I find fascinating. As fans we can look at stats and make judgements. But in the room a whole other world exists. The coach sees first hand how each player interacts with the next. What weight to they place on the "clue guy" who sits with the rookie talking hockey and drawing him into the group? Or the guy who steps quickly into any internal conflict to restore order, or the guy how goes 1st on the ice after a bad loss and drives as hard as he would in a game 7. The calm hand of the captain balanced against the PB guy who calls out the young superstar for floating or cheating for goals even when he is not in the lineup.

I agree that its a fascinating study but I don't see why these positive lockeroom guys need to see the ice. All of this off ice stuff can be accomplished in the room behind the scenes off ice. Heck why can't you hire Hendricks or an equivalent as a motivation or whatever your want to call it coach. I get that there are certain lines between staff and management but you could get creative with positions. Quite frankly I think its inefficient to have someone around who can't actually do his job on the ice but gets along with everyone in the room. Surly you can find people who are adapt at both.

Reactions: GNP

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Because it is easier for them to take their anger out on Maurice and Hendricks than their top line heroes.
***** at line 1-3 and stop blaming **** on a 1/3 of the 4th line.
I am fully capable of noting that our top lines are playing poorly while also noting that we could have one of the best 4th lines in the league with Perreault, and for some reason didn't.

Perreault would likely be the best 4th liner in the league. Hendricks is one of the worst. Is it really that odd that people are upset that Hendricks played over Perreault.

This is a game of inches, especially against such a good team as the Preds. Having the better 4th line may very well be the difference between a win and a loss, especially if they manage to neutralize our top 2 lines like they did yesterday.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
These jokes on Perreault began with these comments/questions from the media.

"On Matthieu Perreault, who we spoke to, he was pretty clear that if it was his choice he felt he could have played last night"

"Would he have been considered a healthy scratch?"

I think it's reasonable (and should be no surprise to us fans) that Maurice dodges these types of questions, and for good reason (avoid discussing player injuries). The question about line matching occurred just after that. Sure, he made one more joke about Perreault then, because he was already joking around about Perreault. I just don't read into this the same things you're seeing.

At the end of the interview, when he was asked again about Perreault, he started to say "I'm not saying how close he is", then "he feels he's ready to play" (implying to me, that Maurice might not agree).

Again, to me, all the available evidence points to Maurice not thinking Perreault was ready. This could either mean he thinks Perreault wouldn't have played well, or is at risk of reinjury, or both. It's a decision I can respect.

Anyway, that's how I see it. No problem surixon if you're reading it differently, but I disagree.
Still... #freeDano

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I am fully capable of noting that our top lines are playing poorly while also noting that we could have one of the best 4th lines in the league with Perreault, and for some reason didn't.

Perreault would likely be the best 4th liner in the league. Hendricks is one of the worst. Is it really that odd that people are upset that Hendricks played over Perreault.

This is a game of inches, especially against such a good team as the Preds. Having the better 4th line may very well be the difference between a win and a loss, especially if they manage to neutralize our top 2 lines like they did yesterday.
Agree. Under par on-ice performance is on the star players (I called them out in my "quick thoughts"). Icing a less-than-optimal roster is on the coach. When the team underperforms I think it's reasonable to discuss both.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Agree. Under par on-ice performance is on the star players (I called them out in my "quick thoughts"). Icing a less-than-optimal roster is on the coach. When the team underperforms I think it's reasonable to discuss both.

The top line can't carry the team all the time. Heck the Preds top line has been MIA most of this series thanks to JoMo and Trouba. The more depth you have the better chances you have. Most cup winning teams get good contributions from their depth talent.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
The top line can't carry the team all the time. Heck the Preds top line has been MIA most of this series thanks to JoMo and Trouba. The more depth you have the better chances you have. Most cup winning teams get good contributions from their depth talent.
Hopefully Perrault will be in next game and game 4 will just be a distant memory.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Makes assumptions about what happened. Then criticizes Maurice's response to the assumption. Then psychoanalyzes Maurice afterwards. Ends with saying he may be fired for it. Well done.

You can't be serious -- this post is ridiculous :huh:

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow

your post did not deserve better than that

MrvJets

Apr 23, 2018
Maurice is a good coach but not a great one. You have a chance to step on the throats of the Preds and he leaves Perrault out. Damn missed opportunity.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I don't know about my fellow posters here ?-- but I honestly believe the Jet's are the superior team. I think they have better offensive scoring, especially if the young guys are producing, defense is about equal, and we have a slight edge in Goaltending.

I was listening to Brian Burke on Sport's Net -- the General Manager of the Flames, and he said their organization felt that the Preds were the top team in the beginning of the year, but towards the end of the year--they thought the Jets were the NHL's top team.

I agree with this assessment, and if the Jet's lose this series, it may be that we get outcoached--I hope this does not happen, as the Jet's have the better talent IMO.

Note- because the Preds now have home ice advantage --they will be favored by Sports Books to win this series, by a slim margin - like 55 % to 45 % - however should the Jet's win Game 5--I say the Jet's win this series in 6 games. If the Preds win Game 5--this series goes to 7 games--and it's really 50-50 as to who will win. I'm really hoping the Jet's take this series. :thumbu:

Last edited:
Reactions: Eyeseeing

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Whoever wins games 5 will likely win the series.

I hope the Jets stars actually show up for this game and contribute when it matters.

Reactions: GNP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->