Pre-Game Talk: -- Jets vs Oilers -- Oct 1st -- 8:00 MDT -- "Just Win, Baby" --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
I like this winny nickname

rzo.gif

Winnie the Pooh was named after Winnipeg so that's actually quite fitting. (I'm guessing you knew that but maybe some people didn't).

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
[GV][/GV]
Winnie the Pooh was named after Winnipeg so that's actually quite fitting. (I'm guessing you knew that but maybe some people didn't).

Awe...so cute and cuddly. Whiny pig. Poo.

Oilers named after man things. Steel. Power. Fire. Big rigs. Crazy dudes with hard hats. Muscle. Mud. Grease. Chains. Long tough days. Money.

Go oilers kick the stuffing out of the toy bear!

OileDrop

Sep 16, 2013
Winnipeg
I live in Winnipeg and yes Jets fans are cocky its just how it is here, its very college like at mtsc and IGField. So lets get ready to kick there ass tomorrow. Many Oilers fans here in peg city so will be representing wearing our Oilers colors.

Jets vs Oilers rivalry again! Im guessing couple hundred Jets fans will be in attendance. But last time Jets played in CGY well, there was like 3,000 of em, it was very pro jets! So im hoping not that many fill Rexall, but I dont think so.

Jets are my second team, I mean I gotta like em, but nothing over takes my Oilers. I just have to be honest, i dont think jets scare anyone and they played in weakest division lats 2 years still couldn't get in playoffs, west will be very tough for a team like Jets. They are not deep enough and Bryan little is not what u call #1 line center but they pay him ala Horcoff :O whatever its not my issue.

Joenssu I think will light lamp tomorrow! 3-1 Oilers!

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
This is the worst thread ever. I keep coming back hoping to hear some talk about the actual game, but it's nothing but childish name calling.

OileDrop

Sep 16, 2013
Winnipeg
Rivalry is either gonna start with US fans first or Jets fans will make it when we play there. They will boo our top player Hall and they will be giving Dubnyk rough ride its how it is, a long with Oilers suck chants.

So lets get pumped and loud n PROUD tomorrow.

LETS GO OILERS!!!!!!!!

PAAAAAAAAAAAVELECCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC

I did not know that till I read your post, Asher. LOL, thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnie-the-Pooh

Milne named the character Winnie-the-Pooh after a teddy bear owned by his son, Christopher Robin Milne, who was the basis for the character Christopher Robin. Christopher's toys also lent their names to most of the other characters, except for Owl, Rabbit, and Gopher. Gopher was added to the Disney version. Christopher Robin's toy bear is now on display at the Main Branch of the New York Public Library in New York City.[2]

Harry Colebourn and Winnie, 1914
Christopher Milne had named his toy bear after Winnie, a Canadian black bear which he often saw at London Zoo, and "Pooh", a swan they had met while on holiday. The bear cub was purchased from a hunter for $20 by Canadian Lieutenant Harry Colebourn in White River, Ontario, Canada, while en route to England during the First World War. He named the bear "Winnie" after his adopted hometown in Winnipeg, Manitoba. "Winnie" was surreptitiously brought to England with her owner, and gained unofficial recognition as The Fort Garry Horse regimental mascot. Colebourn left Winnie at the London Zoo while he and his unit were in France; after the war she was officially donated to the zoo, as she had become a much loved attraction there.[3] Pooh the swan appears as a character in its own right in When We Were Very Young.

And there it is. We come full circle.

OileDrop

Sep 16, 2013
Winnipeg
Ok about this whole Jets vs Oilers fans.

First off no matter how you slice it, Winnipeg and most cities had trouble filling the arena's back in the 90's, only after 2005 lockout all Canadian cities now have sold out there arena every game! So why even compare? When you got the likes of GRETZKY, MESSIER COFFEY, RANFORD TIKANNEN ETC... how could u not fill the building lol? Winnipeg broke attendance record for world juniors back in 1999 and made it a million dollar tourny and now look how amazing it is! Thats pure fact. Grand forks 2004 Wpgers made Canada #1 in attendance at world juniors over host nation USA! We also put them outta beer lol. Peg city fans are one hell'uv a hockey market, in 2011 Winnipeg was NHL'S#1 merchandise sold. Winnipeg also is Canada's 3rd highest average tix prices and have waiting list at 8,000 and sell out each game! just as Edmonton does.

Anywhere in Canada who has a NHL team have great fans. Now if you want to compare LOUDEST fans, that's different. Winnipeg for sure has best hands down loudest crowd in regular season and they will be hard crowd to beat come playoff time, but if there is ONE city that has thy LOUDEST nhl fans I ever heard, it has to be Edmonton. Edmonton and Winnipeg for full 60 minute game have loudest crowds I ever heard. So yes Wpg we have loudest reg season fans, but you cant say we are louder come playoffs, because Edmonton is is the NHL's loudest crowd when they make playoffs!

Jets 1.0 didn't leave due to attendance. They left because the arena, 5 rows at top of each upper deck had obstruction viewing where you could not see the half side of the ice, so those seats where only usually purchased in playoffs or a big game! They couldnt build a new arena which hurt the city to lose the Jets in the end a long with the player salaries went up and Winnipeg couldn't afford NHL with 60cents the dollar being at the time. Remember Winnipeg was VERY small market back in early 1990's.

The city now can afford it and has 20th most busiest arena (MTSCenter) and is 3rd best revenue in Canada over all since being built! Winnipeg has come a long way and is not cheap like it used to be, expenses and houses/properties went up! Winnipeg is not same as it used to be.

Anyways just for ppl to understand and not bicker who is more passionate, clearly any NHL Canadian city is passionate, some fans are louder, yes that is different.

If we don't like Jets fans being louder...THEN start getting more fired up at home games in reg season, lets DUUUUB it up tomorrow and rock Rexall for our first win, like Oilers fans can!

HERE WE GO OILERS HERE WE GO! <---- I miss this chant

Hallsy my boy lets grab a HATTY tomorrow :)

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
So much history between these two clubs.

Monumental last Avco cup which we lost despite the heroics of one Wayne Gretzky.

Fast forward to beating the jets senseless in playoff after playoff first rounds.

Then blockbuster 1990 year, Jets are up 3-1 in games, leading, threatening to close us out and the Oil comeback, win the series, and win the cup. Without so much as a speedbump after the Jets pushed us all the way.

Then some very forgettable years for both clubs ending with Jets relocating which was a shortighted Bettman dream travesty.

Now only one regular season game between the clubs played ever since. Probably a large part of the reason the itching to get this game under way is so pronounced. It seems like forever because its been like forever since we've seen the Jets here in regular season game. (what is it 17yrs?)

Only regular season game played since between the two clubs was in Winnipeg in Feb 2012 and Oilers won 5-3.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
How about a little line-by-line comparison...

Forwards

EDM #1: Smyth - Hall - Hemsky
WPG #1: Ladd - Little - Wheeler

- I really don't see much separating Little and Gagner, and I don't think anyone would argue that Hall is an upgrade on both (even out of position, though you wouldn't know Hall wasn't a centerman). For the first time in a long time, I give us the edge at #1C against another NHL team. With that said, Ladd represents a pretty big step up from Smyth at this point in their careers. I think Wheeler is a pretty underrated player and causes problems with his combination of size and skill. I also think Hemsky gets less credit than he deserves.

Overall, I give the edge to the Jets here, mostly on proven chemistry and strength at all 3 positions across the line. I do think it's pretty close though.

EDM #2: Perron - Arcobello - Eberle
WPG #2: Kane - Scheifele - Setoguchi

- As uncomfortable as I am with Arcobello starting as our #2C, I don't think the Jets are much better off. Sure Shiefele's draft position and junior numbers suggest he's going to have a good career, but he hasn't proven anything at the pro level. Arcobello was great in OKC and played very well with Eberle in particular. I still give Winnipeg the slight edge at center, but I think the Oilers have the edge on the wings, in large part due to the way Perron has played and the fact that I've never thought much of Setoguchi when he played with the Wild or the Sharks.

I give our guys the slight edge, but it's close, and I'm a homer.

EDM #3: Joensuu - Gordon - Yakupov
WPG #3: Wright - Jokinen - Frolik

Even though he's primarily a defensive guy, I like our 3C better because at least he's good at one end of the ice. Jokinen is kind of a bum IMO. I also feel like Yakupov and Gordon had some good chemistry in the preseason. Yakupov is a game-breaker and Winnipeg has nobody on their 3rd line who can match what he brings in the 3 spot. I do like Frolik, although the offense didn't come with him when he left the SE division. With that said, he's an underrated two-way player.

I give the advantage to the Oilers here at all 3 spots, but the Yakupov factor tips the scales heavily in our favor.

EDM #4: Gazdic - Acton - Eager
WPG #4: Tangradi - Slater - Thorburn

This one goes to the Jets unless all 6 guys take the ice without sticks or gloves. Eager has more skill than he's given credit for, and Acton has some value as a penalty killer, but overall there isn't much there and they lack the experience of their Winnipeg counterparts.

Defense:

EDM #1: Smid - Petry
WPG #1: Enstrom - Byfuglien

As much as I like the pairing of Smid and Petry, this is a pretty easy win for the Jets. Byfuglien is a handful when he wants to be and Enstrom is one of the better puck movers in the league and is very underrated defensively.

EDM #2: Ference - J.Schultz
WPG #2: Clitsome - Bogosian

There's lots of potential with Schultz, but Bogosian took some big steps last year and is already a legitimate top pairing defenseman. While I take Ference over Clitsome every day, overall the edge still goes to the Jets here.

EDM #3: N.Schultz - Belov
WPG #3: Stuart - Trouba/Postma

Despite the justifiable hype surrounding Trouba, I'll call this one a draw. Belov has been terrific and has already had a pretty good pro career in Russia, and Schultz is better than he was last year. Stuart looked good when he played with Bogosian, but I've always found him to be very overrated.

Goaltending:

EDM #1: Dubnyk
WPG #1: Pavelec

Some might disagree, but I actually consider this a pretty big edge for the Oilers. Pavelec runs hot and cold and can flat out steal games when he's on, but overall I take Dubnyk. That could change if he has trouble adjusting to the new equipment changes though.

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
I'm excited to see Arcobello, if he plays well I will breath a sigh of relief... If he plays like a career AHL'er I'm going to cry. I'm hoping Petry has come into this year focused as well, if he plays his game he can elevate this team... Will be interesting to see how we handle Byfuglien as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad