Pre-Game Talk: -- Jets vs Oilers -- Oct 1st -- 8:00 MDT -- "Just Win, Baby" --

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Perfect Human*

If Yak can hit that Hall-like level where he can carry that 3rd line we could be .500 by the time RNH/Gags are both back.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
How about a little line-by-line comparison...

Forwards

EDM #1: Smyth - Hall - Hemsky
WPG #1: Ladd - Little - Wheeler

- I really don't see much separating Little and Gagner, and I don't think anyone would argue that Hall is an upgrade on both (even out of position, though you wouldn't know Hall wasn't a centerman). For the first time in a long time, I give us the edge at #1C against another NHL team. With that said, Ladd represents a pretty big step up from Smyth at this point in their careers. I think Wheeler is a pretty underrated player and causes problems with his combination of size and skill. I also think Hemsky gets less credit than he deserves.

Overall, I give the edge to the Jets here, mostly on proven chemistry and strength at all 3 positions across the line. I do think it's pretty close though.

EDM #2: Perron - Arcobello - Eberle
WPG #2: Kane - Scheifele - Setoguchi

- As uncomfortable as I am with Arcobello starting as our #2C, I don't think the Jets are much better off. Sure Shiefele's draft position and junior numbers suggest he's going to have a good career, but he hasn't proven anything at the pro level. Arcobello was great in OKC and played very well with Eberle in particular. I still give Winnipeg the slight edge at center, but I think the Oilers have the edge on the wings, in large part due to the way Perron has played and the fact that I've never thought much of Setoguchi when he played with the Wild or the Sharks.

I give our guys the slight edge, but it's close, and I'm a homer.

EDM #3: Joensuu - Gordon - Yakupov
WPG #3: Wright - Jokinen - Frolik

Even though he's primarily a defensive guy, I like our 3C better because at least he's good at one end of the ice. Jokinen is kind of a bum IMO. I also feel like Yakupov and Gordon had some good chemistry in the preseason. Yakupov is a game-breaker and Winnipeg has nobody on their 3rd line who can match what he brings in the 3 spot. I do like Frolik, although the offense didn't come with him when he left the SE division. With that said, he's an underrated two-way player.

I give the advantage to the Oilers here at all 3 spots, but the Yakupov factor tips the scales heavily in our favor.

EDM #4: Gazdic - Acton - Eager
WPG #4: Tangradi - Slater - Thorburn

This one goes to the Jets unless all 6 guys take the ice without sticks or gloves. Eager has more skill than he's given credit for, and Acton has some value as a penalty killer, but overall there isn't much there and they lack the experience of their Winnipeg counterparts.

Defense:

EDM #1: Smid - Petry
WPG #1: Enstrom - Byfuglien

As much as I like the pairing of Smid and Petry, this is a pretty easy win for the Jets. Byfuglien is a handful when he wants to be and Enstrom is one of the better puck movers in the league and is very underrated defensively.

EDM #2: Ference - J.Schultz
WPG #2: Clitsome - Bogosian

There's lots of potential with Schultz, but Bogosian took some big steps last year and is already a legitimate top pairing defenseman. While I take Ference over Clitsome every day, overall the edge still goes to the Jets here.

EDM #3: N.Schultz - Belov
WPG #3: Stuart - Trouba/Postma

Despite the justifiable hype surrounding Trouba, I'll call this one a draw. Belov has been terrific and has already had a pretty good pro career in Russia, and Schultz is better than he was last year. Stuart looked good when he played with Bogosian, but I've always found him to be very overrated.

Goaltending:

EDM #1: Dubnyk
WPG #1: Pavelec

Some might disagree, but I actually consider this a pretty big edge for the Oilers. Pavelec runs hot and cold and can flat out steal games when he's on, but overall I take Dubnyk. That could change if he has trouble adjusting to the new equipment changes though.

Winnipeg definitely has the edge due to injuries. I'm going to sound like a complete homer but I honestly think we are the better team when healthy.

Our top 6 would have been miles ahead. I would even take our third line of Joensuu-Gordon-Hemsky over Wright-Jokinen-Frolik.

The jets have a slightly better defence but not by much. Big Buff isn't as great as they make him out to be.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
I think this one comes down to the goalies. They can both stink it up on a regular basis or be lights out. My prediction is whoever wins will win by at least 2 goals. I hope it is the Oilers.

Heck, for us the whole year comes down to goaltending.

Last edited:

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
If the Oilers stink you'll be very angry at yourself and possibly out of work. Not worth it IMHO.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
Any U of A people: me an some friends will be hitting up Hudson's on campus for the game. Come join us if you like.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Would it be wrong to blow off work to watch this game?

Girlfriend is deferring a year before graduate school. She has a new photography class at my university between 7-9, and doesn't know the campus. Guess who gets to take her..

Thank god for PVR, but I'll be on a technological black out from 8-9.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad