Pre-Game Talk: -- Jets vs Oilers -- Oct 1st -- 8:00 MDT -- "Just Win, Baby" --

Status
Not open for further replies.

oilersrule14

May 13, 2003
Visit site
I just feel like the anthem isn't really an appropriate time to be praising a business.

Especially doing it outside of Winnipeg, where these ties mean even less.

A business that brought back a national pasttime to their city, don't see the issue.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Meh, I am fine with it. If they want to use that as their way of thanking the True North group that brought their team back, I don't have any issues with it.

I just don't like any opposing team's fans making noise at Rexall :laugh:.

Could you imagine a Jets/Oilers playoff series? That would get interesting.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Edmonton-residing Jets fan, I come in peace.

I don't think it's confidence, just trying to pump up the fans. And, lets face it, the OIlers are a perennial bottom-feeder team, and have been for several years. Now maybe this is the year they turn it around like the Isles did last year, but until they prove themselves, this is a game a bubble team like the Jets will circle as a "should win".

Not "will win" of course - anything can happen. But it's a game they should win if they want to make the playoffs.

I'll be rocking a Jets white tomorrow at the game, and I'm curious to see how many fellow Jets fans make the trip. Hopefully we can all just get along...

Just curious, when have the Jets been so good that they are such a contender? What year have they proven this?

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I just don't like any opposing team's fans making noise at Rexall :laugh:.

Could you imagine a Jets/Oilers playoff series? That would get interesting.

That would be a fun series for sure. But I think and Oilers/Flames or Nucks series would be much more of a bloodbath. Canuck fans in particular seem to bring out the worst in Oiler fans.

But I am getting off topic..

McSaviour

Mar 6, 2013
Edmonton
Please tell me you realize they do that because of their ownership group...

1. I don't particularly care about the Jets as they played in the weakest devision and still had a weak record
2. I don't care about ownership groups for hockey teams other than the Katz group.

Sorry I'm not as intelligent and hockey savvy as you about owners of teams.

Thank you for informing me btw, as an outsider watching their games it seems as if they're saying it because Winnipeg has a reputation for being very cold.

Last edited:

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
That would be a fun series for sure. But I think and Oilers/Flames or Nucks series would be much more of a bloodbath. Canuck fans in particular seem to bring out the worst in Oiler fans.

But I am getting off topic..

I think that's what would make it interesting, theirs no inherent hate (yet) between the clubs. Just a bit of geographic pride.
We've hated the Canucks and Flames for so long that it's getting boring.

Katz Group! Katz Group! Katz Group!

O Katz-nada!

Conkanen*

I can't stand the Jets...My 2 buddies are season ticket holders and one of them is a complete fan boy. Believes they have the best fans in the league blah blah blah. Then I show him the attendance stats of the Old Jets teams compared to Edmonton Oiler attendance stats(even when we sucked). I told him City's with the Best Fans don't lose their teams! OUCH! :sarcasm:

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
Don`t beak the Jets and their fan base over what they do. Being an Oiler fan living in the Peg, you can see this is all our city really has to cheer about. The Bombers blow and not everyone watches baseball. Ever since we got the team back, this city feels like it has an identity again. When people mention Winnipeg, the first thing that comes to mind (after our winters) is the Jets. It`s who we are. Just like any fan base, we have a couple loose screws that "talk" a big game but can't back it up. But like I said, that's with every fan base.

Let them chant "True North". Let them be loud and over zealous with their celebrations. They're just happy to have something to look forward to and talk about everyday outside of their regular routines. You'd understand if you lost the Oilers in Edmonton and they came back one day as well.

Oh, and beaking Jets fans that we lost our original team is the equivalent to kicking a dude in the balls in a fist fight. Low blow.

With all that being said, i'll cheer for the Oilers till the day I die. Living in the Peg, I have to follow the local sports team though, whether I'm a fan or not.

EVBetting Site

Jun 29, 2011
Edmonton
Oilers open up as -145/134 favorites against Winnepeg. Either some decent respect for the Oilers despite injury situation or disrespect to a bad Winnepeg team

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Whew. I'm glad the first two games are on CBC. :handclap:

Just called to add Center Ice to my satellite and turns out you need a new dish to get the HD Center Ice channels this year and they won't be able to do the upgrade until Thursday.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Just curious, when have the Jets been so good that they are such a contender? What year have they proven this?

We would need to take it back.........way back....... to the Avco cup days and 3 championships in 4 seasons (1976-79) but hey what's 35 years and a transleague leap amongst WHA friends :laugh::sarcasm:;)....never great to peak just before you join the NHL.

Things have been a shade leaner since 1980.....and there was that pesky black hole from 1996 to 2011 but the sun always shines brighter until the first puck drops on the new season.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Whew. I'm glad the first two games are on CBC. :handclap:

Just called to add Center Ice to my satellite and turns out you need a new dish to get the HD Center Ice channels this year and they won't be able to do the upgrade until Thursday.

What's upsetting is the 4 day break between those two games. Not sure I'm made for that kind of patience, I'm already tweaking since pre-season ended..

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

Umm, I didn't call them a contender.

I called them a bubble team. Which is what they have been since returning to the league fighting right up to the end of the year for a playoff spot, and ultimately failing.

It's somewhat more gratifying to be a bubble team that a lottery team, but they're not what I would call "good".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad