Pre-Game Talk: -- Jets vs Oilers -- Oct 1st -- 8:00 MDT -- "Just Win, Baby" --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conkanen*

Don`t beak the Jets and their fan base over what they do. Being an Oiler fan living in the Peg, you can see this is all our city really has to cheer about. The Bombers blow and not everyone watches baseball. Ever since we got the team back, this city feels like it has an identity again. When people mention Winnipeg, the first thing that comes to mind (after our winters) is the Jets. It`s who we are. Just like any fan base, we have a couple loose screws that "talk" a big game but can't back it up. But like I said, that's with every fan base.

Let them chant "True North". Let them be loud and over zealous with their celebrations. They're just happy to have something to look forward to and talk about everyday outside of their regular routines. You'd understand if you lost the Oilers in Edmonton and they came back one day as well.

Oh, and beaking Jets fans that we lost our original team is the equivalent to kicking a dude in the balls in a fist fight. Low blow.

With all that being said, i'll cheer for the Oilers till the day I die. Living in the Peg, I have to follow the local sports team though, whether I'm a fan or not.

I agree with all that but I hate when the fan boys start with "we are the best fans in the NHL" nonsense. I don't begrudge Winnipeg for getting their team back but let's dial down the hyperbole a bit. The attendance numbers of Jets 1.0 tell a different story than the current mantra of "best fans in the league". Yes. I actually have friends that believe that nonsense.

eS7

Dec 22, 2011
Saskatchewan
I don't quite remember but does CBC have the stream for the games available on their website (or is there another HD steam somewhere like the VLC one from Gamecenter we had during pre-season). We can't get our television hooked up until Thursday.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Whew. I'm glad the first two games are on CBC. :handclap:

Just called to add Center Ice to my satellite and turns out you need a new dish to get the HD Center Ice channels this year and they won't be able to do the upgrade until Thursday.

Free upgrade I hope.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
so, do these fans just yell True North during that verse of the national anthem?

Yes. They sing along, but when those words come up they get shouted.

It's not uncommon in some US markets - typically for college sports. In Carolina they shout out the word "red" in "rockets red glare", though the meaning escapes me right now.

Oct 30, 2011
I don't quite remember but does CBC have the stream for the games available on their website (or is there another HD steam somewhere like the VLC one from Gamecenter we had during pre-season). We can't get our television hooked up until Thursday.

Yes, they usually stream.

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
When Jets fans banter about EDM's futility over the last few years, it makes me chuckle considering it was ATL fans who suffered through the failures of this current Jets squad. Jets fans are reaping the rewards paid for by a different fan base.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I agree with all that but I hate when the fan boys start with "we are the best fans in the NHL" nonsense. I don't begrudge Winnipeg for getting their team back but let's dial down the hyperbole a bit. The attendance numbers of Jets 1.0 tell a different story than the current mantra of "best fans in the league". Yes. I actually have friends that believe that nonsense.

I'll remain silent on who, exactly, are the "best fans in the league", but you can't really judge based on 20 year old attendance figures.

Take a look at Edmonton's attendance history:

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendance/att_graph.php?tmi=5632

But that's not to pick on Edmonton. Every Canadian city shows a similar pattern - weak attendance in the 90s, but constant sell-outs since 2000 or so.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
I think moving from the weakest division in hockey to their new division in the "Western Conference" is going to be hard on the Jets, and they're my pick to drop the farthest relative to last year's finish (or the last 2, even).

With that said, without Nuge and Gagner, we're going to have our hands full, even against a weaker team like Winnipeg (sorry Jets fans).

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
You could still argue WPG is in a relatively easy division. They have CHI and STL to deal with but are competing with MIN, DAL, COL, and NSH for 3rd (and PHX, EDM, CGY, ANA/VAN) for the wildcard spots.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think moving from the weakest division in hockey to their new division in the "Western Conference" is going to be hard on the Jets, and they're my pick to drop the farthest relative to last year's finish (or the last 2, even).

With that said, without Nuge and Gagner, we're going to have our hands full, even against a weaker team like Winnipeg (sorry Jets fans).

no offense taken.

I worry more about ourselves than our division........Chicago and St Louis are good but after that I don't see much that really scares me. We are bubble boys and will probably remain so this year. Maybe it breaks our way in 13-14?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Meh an argument could easily be made that your division the last number of years was just as weak if not weaker.

Anyways look forward to seeing the game tomorrow and will be routing for you guys whenever your not playing the Jets.

Conkanen*

I'll remain silent on who, exactly, are the "best fans in the league", but you can't really judge based on 20 year old attendance figures.

Take a look at Edmonton's attendance history:

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendance/att_graph.php?tmi=5632

But that's not to pick on Edmonton. Every Canadian city shows a similar pattern - weak attendance in the 90s, but constant sell-outs since 2000 or so.

You are seriously comparing Oiler fan attendance to what the Jets did?
The Oilers had 3 years of sparse atendance in the 13k range in the 90's.

The Jets??

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendance/att_graph.php?tmi=9024

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
You really can't use attendance to determine the quality of a fan base anyways.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
You are seriously comparing Oiler fan attendance to what the Jets did?
The Oilers had 3 years of sparse atendance in the 13k range in the 90's.

The Jets??

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendance/att_graph.php?tmi=9024

With the exception of 1995-1996 (which was lame duck season where the team was already announced to be leaving) they look pretty similar to me.

But like I said, go to Vancouver or Calgary's attendance figures. Heck everywhere but Toronto and Montreal. Attendance sucked in the 90s in Canada.

Daemar

Sep 13, 2011
Edmonton
I'll be there with a Jet's fan buddy of mine... bragging rights are on the line, don't let me down boys!

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
When Jets fans banter about EDM's futility over the last few years, it makes me chuckle considering it was ATL fans who suffered through the failures of this current Jets squad. Jets fans are reaping the rewards paid for by a different fan base.

Yup, I always think about this when I read a Jets fan ripping on us on this board.

Jets fans bug me, hope we win this one in convincing fashion.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Yes. They sing along, but when those words come up they get shouted.

It's not uncommon in some US markets - typically for college sports. In Carolina they shout out the word "red" in "rockets red glare", though the meaning escapes me right now.

When the Dallas Stars come to town, the ones that are in the stands shout STARS during star spangled banner in this manner as well.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
With the exception of 1995-1996 (which was lame duck season where the team was already announced to be leaving) they look pretty similar to me.But like I said, go to Vancouver or Calgary's attendance figures. Heck everywhere but Toronto and Montreal. Attendance sucked in the 90s in Canada.

You cant be serious how many years did Winnipeg sellout I count 0 And there attendance capacity was 15,393 even when Jets were a strong team their attendance was poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad