TSN: Jets trying to trade Byfuglien before the deadline

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009

Did you miss this part of the article or just choose to ignore it?

At the worst case, if Byfuglien refuses to report, then he will remain suspended without pay – at no salary cap consequence to the acquiring team. That team could then move to terminate Byfuglien’s contract, like the Jets can now, or opt to hold his rights into the summer to see if he has interest in resuming his career next season.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Did you miss this part of the article or just choose to ignore it?

At the worst case, if Byfuglien refuses to report, then he will remain suspended without pay – at no salary cap consequence to the acquiring team. That team could then move to terminate Byfuglien’s contract, like the Jets can now, or opt to hold his rights into the summer to see if he has interest in resuming his career next season.
Sounds like a hassle. If the Jets want a team to take this guy off their hands they need to offer some sort of motivation to do so.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Wings are open for cap dump negotiations. Have absolutely no interest in the player.

Edit: oh I see WPG can terminate his contract at any time. So no can do, good luck anyway.

Last edited:

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
The motivation is possibly getting that last year of the contract for a mammoth D-man who tilts the ice. There's literally no drawback to taking it since it can be terminated.
When he can play he's great but that all seems to be in the past so why bother?

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
because the cost would be very low and you have a chance of getting an impact player for the playoffs and if he doesn't want to play then the team could just buy him out as well, but all this was covered in the article you said you read.

Fainting Couch

Jun 21, 2019

You answered your own question. A team could gamble a 4th round pick for the chance he plays next year. The Jets get a 4th instead of getting nothing when they terminate.

Reactions: mondo3

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario

I'm sure GMs don't make decisions on internet rumors and flat-out uninformed guesses. If he wants to play, he'll pass a physical, his performance will be evaluated. If a team with cap space doesn't want to give up even the smallest asset for a player like Buff, that's on them.

Reactions: Curufinwe

varano

Jun 27, 2013
The motivation is possibly getting that last year of the contract for a mammoth D-man who tilts the ice. There's literally no drawback to taking it since it can be terminated.
I wonder how good that mammoth man's conditioning would be after a year off

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Buyouts cost quite a bit. The Jets can terminate his contract, which costs nothing. There's a world of difference. If you'd read the article...
I miss wrote something, if you look at the thread you would see 15 other post's where I said we can just terminate...

Last edited:

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
If MTL trades Petry, then we'd have a hole on the right side. I'd take a flyer on Big Buff for a middle-round pick.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
I wonder how good that mammoth man's conditioning would be after a year off

That and his motivation are the big question marks, and things that I'm sure GM's will be asking the Jets and / or Buff and his agent.

Bottom line is though, that if it were not for those 2 big questions, he wouldn't be on the market at all, much less available for a minor asset.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Buyouts cost quite a bit. The Jets can terminate his contract, which costs nothing. There's a world of difference. If you'd read the article...
Can the Jets (legally) unilaterally terminate Buff’s contract though? They can, of course, try, but is it an absolute?

BuddyTheGoon

Oct 23, 2019
Chicago
Bowman loves his retreads (Sharp, Oduya, Campbell, Saad, Versteeg, Shaw...) so I can see him ending up in Chicago, where it all began!

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Can the Jets (legally) unilaterally terminate Buff’s contract though? They can, of course, try, but is it an absolute?
He refused to continue his rehab from injury. They can absolutey terminate. They're just grasping at straws trying to get an asset of any kind out of this.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
This article is a bit nonsensical to me. Who would be trading for Byfuglien at the deadline. The guy hasn't skated for 10 months, had ankle surgery, and just got back from a Caribbean vacation ie he's not getting into game shape. What playoff bound team is going to give something up on the hopes in the next month he suddenly decides that he wants to get into game shape, move his wife and children to a new city, to play in the playoffs for zero pay.

If the hope is he decides to return next season, that seems like an off-season deal to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad