TSN: Jets trying to trade Byfuglien before the deadline

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
So let me get this straight, Chevy thinks Byfuglien, a guy known for being out of shape, who has been in offseason mode for almost a whole calendar year, and carries a cap hit over $7m for the next couple years, has positive value? Chevy might actually be dumber than I originally thought. I'd be shocked if Buf's contract got terminated and a team even signed him with the intention of playing him this season. No contender is going to trade assets for the privilege of having $7.5m of dead weight on their cap for the season

He has no value except as a cap dump
even then he is not expiring this yr, but next season
also cf has him at 34 so presumably 35/+ conditions may kick in.

We were always concerned he'd be a knee blow-out away.
his actual playing contribution is a huge risk

unless compliance buyouts come and do so soon, his contract will stay thru next year.

best to keep status quo semi attached as to roster but basically off and w/o pay.

If Chevy wants him gone cuz that ain't enuf, then
assuming he waives b'c Rangers D glut Staal 5.7
+ Smith 4.35
both also expiring next year
+ NYR 2021 2nd

for
WPG 2020 1st + Buf

somethin like that
and even then, assuming this guy shows up and I can't put him on a similar suspend list, I need to be able to tell this guy we are sending you to the A on paper. Collect your paycheck, don't bother showing up.
If I can't do that, 3+ m cap relief and a 1st is still not worth it.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I disagree that it’s a “low risk opportunity” for the acquiring team.

Is that team going to keep him suspended? If not then Buff’s cap hit comes into play and the acquiring team has no grounds to terminate Buff’s contract.

If that new team keeps Buff suspended then he’s being traded into an already acrimonious situation.

Yes, the acquiring team would keep him suspended. Why wouldn’t they? You think Buff’s camp would be upset with this figuring he should now get paid to sit on his arse just because he was traded?

Clearly, Buff should recognize by now that if he wants to be paid, he actually needs to play.

It’s low risk if it’s built on conditional compensation. Even if you think Buff would be upset for some reason, you terminate him and not give the Jets anything.

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009

unless compliance buyouts come and do so soon, his contract will stay thru next year.

best to keep status quo semi attached as to roster but basically off and w/o pay.

+ Smith 4.35
+ NYR 2021 2nd

for
WPG 2020 1st + Buf

somethin like that
and even then, assuming this guy shows up and I can't put him on a similar suspend list, I need to be able to tell this guy we are sending you to the A on paper. Collect your paycheck, don't bother showing up.

So the Jets take on two terrible D that add up to significantly more salary than Buff and trade down in the draft? You realize the Jets can just terminate his contract right? Or even continue with him suspended?

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.

+ Smith 4.35
+ NYR 2021 2nd

for
WPG 2020 1st + Buf

somethin like that
This might be the worst post of all time.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

+ Smith 4.35
+ NYR 2021 2nd

for
WPG 2020 1st + Buf

somethin like that
haven't got a clue what your talking about. his injuries were not career threatening and before a trade is completed he would need to pass a physical. no one in Winnipeg was worried about him blowing out a knee. if he wants to play he will get a lot of interest cause even as of last year he had lots in the tank. nonsense that he has no value. if he wants to play teams will be lining up to sign him.

Reactions: DRW204

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas

+ Smith 4.35
+ NYR 2021 2nd

for
WPG 2020 1st + Buf

somethin like that
Wow. You don't even have the slightest understanding of the actual situation and contact statuses do you?

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
To wpg
K. Russell
P. Russell

to edm
Buff 50% retained
Vesalainen
2nd 2020

This is bad and you should feel bad. If you had looked into the rumor at all you'd have noticed that Buff's contract can be terminated, so why would the Jets retain, give up a prospect and pick AND take on your cap dump instead of just terminating Buff's contract?

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Strakanator

Sep 21, 2007
The only value I see is if a team wants to be under the cap floor the remaining of this year and next year.

So a small-market team could deal a player in order to save cash money.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Chevaldayoff may have reason to believe that Buf might want to play again, just not in Winnipeg. Convincing other GM's at this juncture might qualify him as salesman of the year.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Chevaldayoff may have reason to believe that Buf might want to play again, just not in Winnipeg. Convincing other GM's at this juncture might qualify him as salesman of the year.
not really ...you let the other GM talk to his agent or the player first. no GM is going to risk it otherwise, if he has no plans on playing again, unless the Jets are sweetening the deal (ala marleau)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Keep telling you Jets fans.... Habs and Petry is your best shot at unloading Buff's contract and adding a very good top 4RD. Habs can even retain 50% to give you more cap flexibility but you better be willing to pony up the futures and Grade A prospects.

Reactions: Destopcorner

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Keep telling you Jets fans.... Habs and Petry is your best shot at unloading Buff's contract and adding a very good top 4RD. Habs can even retain 50% to give you more cap flexibility but you better be willing to pony up the futures and Grade A prospects.
No from Winnipeg. The Jets can just terminate Buff's contract. They don't have to move him unless it benefits the Jets.

Reactions: DRW204

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
maybe try reading the article or the thread... we can just terminate buffs contract and pay nothing at all...

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016

We can terminate Buff’s contract at any time without a salary cap charge. We don’t have to give up assets to “unload Buff’s contract”.

Given that we have to make this point several times in this thread and that is clear in the article, why do we still get so many ignorant posts like this?

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
If I was trading for this Buff mess I'd be expecting high draft picks (Both confirmed and conditional) coming with him.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Jets fans keep telling you that we don't want to give up futures and prospects for one season of Petry but that doesn't stop you from continually offering him unsolicited for 1sts and high end prospects.

The contract will be mutually terminated if he doesn't get traded.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I would think a conditional trade would make sense...no cost to the team that picks him up if he doesn't play, and only a returning draft pick if he plays next year

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
haven't got a clue what your talking about. his injuries were not career threatening and before a trade is completed he would need to pass a physical. no one in Winnipeg was worried about him blowing out a knee. if he wants to play he will get a lot of interest cause even as of last year he had lots in the tank. nonsense that he has no value. if he wants to play teams will be lining up to sign him.
According to the article in the OP, which I'm sure everyone read, totally, he "declined" doing his on ice rehab part of his recovery. Not "can't". Not "hasn't gotten that far" - "declined". That says "no value" to me. Not fit to play and doesn't want to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad