TSN: Jets trying to trade Byfuglien before the deadline

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
He quit on his team. Why would any team want a quitter in their dressing room?

He didn’t quit. His situation is no different than any other player who has requested a trade.

Teams would/will want him because he’s good.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
I believe he is suspended by the team, not on LTIR.
that makes it even worse
giphy.gif

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
He didn’t quit. His situation is no different than any other player who has requested a trade.

his name carries value. not playing all season, recovering from a significant ankle injury, and the attitude/situation detract from his value substantially.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
that makes it even worse

It is a bizarre situation.

Players who request a trade usually keep playing for their team in good faith while they work out a deal. Also I'm not sure this is even the case. If Buff wanted a trade you'd think he would at least be skating and working out, but reportedly he is not.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
his name carries value. not playing all season, recovering from a significant ankle injury, and the attitude/situation detract from his value substantially.

I agree that his value has diminished. However, if he recovers from his ankle injury he can return to be a force again. If he does play this year he will most likely struggle but next year could be a different story.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
It is a bizarre situation.

Players who request a trade usually keep playing for their team in good faith while they work out a deal. Also I'm not sure this is even the case. If Buff wanted a trade you'd think he would at least be skating and working out, but reportedly he is not.

We don’t know the details behind the scene. Maybe he asked for a trade at an earlier date in the summer or the end of last year. There are details we don’t know.

One thing he isn’t a quitter. Like I said many players have done similar things. Ie - Primeau, Roy, Lindros and many others. None of them could or would be considered quitters.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
We don’t know the details behind the scene. Maybe he asked for a trade at an earlier date in the summer or the end of last year. There are details we don’t know.

One thing he isn’t a quitter. Like I said many players have done similar things. Ie - Primeau, Roy, Lindros and many others. None of them could or would be considered quitters.

You're right, we don't know the details and I would love to hear Buff's side of the story because for whatever reason I find this to be an intriguing situation. However, because we lack the details you also can't claim that he's not a quitter. We just don't know. Maybe he wants to retire and fish. It's his life and I wouldn't think any less of him if that were the case.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
You're right, we don't know the details and I would love to hear Buff's side of the story because for whatever reason I find this to be an intriguing situation. However, because we lack the details you also can't claim that he's not a quitter. We just don't know. Maybe he wants to retire and fish. It's his life and I wouldn't think any less of him if that were the case.

Sorry we disagree on the quitter claim. I don’t buy it. Even if he wants to retire that doesn’t make him a quitter. The guy played hard his whole career.

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
if he was acquired by a team, he would be able to go on ir thus creating more cap space?

or did that only work for toronto because it was the start of the season?

Last edited:

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

? This situation is very different from requesting a trade. For one, he hasn't (publicly at least) requested a trade. In addition, he's injured. Thirdly, he's on indefinite suspension due to a complicated injury grievance. Finally, he may have already unofficially retired.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
So Buff isn't just AWOL, he actually went to get the knife? Well kept secret by the WPG and the NHL."Byfuglien underwent surprise ankle surgery in late October, after which the team announced that they were “aware” that he was considering the surgical option for a previously undisclosed injury."

Makes this episode a whole lot more understandable, including why WPG isn't just writing off his contract.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Based on Chevy’s interview yesterday, it looks like they will hold onto the contract into the offseason and not terminate right away.

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
I'll bet the Winnipeg Jets Will make a trade in the offseason Byfuglien and Ehlers for a Defenceman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad