TSN: Jets trying to trade Byfuglien before the deadline

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Why would the Jets pay the kings to take him when they can terminate his contract for free as mentioned in the article. Read the story before posting
ok so Buff + a second for a future 7th?

the thread is titled the Jets are trying to trade him. I am free to speculate.
Maybe you should spend less time ordering people around and worry about your own life

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013

Maybe you should spend less time ordering people around and worry about your own life
Why would the Jets do that. They don't need to trade away any assets,they can dump him for free if they want. You continue to prove that you are uninformed and didn't bother to read the article that this thread is about.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
If a team just wants Byfuglien for next summer they could just way for the contract to be terminated. But Jets won't terminate until after the trade deadline, which is the deadline when your playoff roster is set (you can actually trade after the trade deadline, but then that player is not eligible for the playoffs).

If you trade for him now though its because you think he might be helpful for the playoffs.

I imagine it would go something like this: trade is a fifth and a conditional 2nd. If Buff doesn't pass a physical the entire trade is cancelled. If he does pass buyer sends over a 5th. If Buff actually plays more than, I dunno, 10 games for you a 2nd round pick is thrown in.

He apparently hasn't been skating so you're not getting him before mid-March on the ice, but he could be a factor in the playoffs for someone.

Reactions: hn777

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Wonder what the real story is. I did some digging and none of it makes sense.

Buff doesn't show up to training.
Then gets surgery on his ankle.
Out until Dec, so I'm assuming his ankle is fine now.
Now he has an NHLPA case to get paid.

Also, this is more like a FA trade, aka getting rights to pre-negotiate before FA hits.

Can't be worth more than a 4th rounder IMO.
Also considering who ends up paying if he's due back salary

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
there is no package available for a player who isn't playing and is coming off a significant injury

you trade LTIR over the summer, not at the deadline

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
They'll just terminate in that case.

I don't think the Jets will get anything for him, since any team can sign him after his contract is terminated. May as well try up to the deadline though.
They won't get anything for him, he's not ready to play, or even close, and he makes 7mil.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
They won't get anything for him, he's not ready to play, or even close, and he makes 7mil.

I agree. Might as well try until Monday. If not, then just terminate as was the plan all along. Just hoping some team wants him badly enough and is desperate for the guarantee. It's a .1% chance.

Getting rid of the contract via trade isn't the goal, necessarily. The article states this as such.

Fainting Couch

Jun 21, 2019

Change the 7th to a 14th rounder and it is a done deal! Don't @ me, I am free to speculate!

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015
I love the comments from people, give a snide remark back after people say they should read the article, then double down on their original comment.

HF Boards at its finest.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
there is no package available for a player who isn't playing and is coming off a significant injury

you trade LTIR over the summer, not at the deadline

I believe he is suspended by the team, not on LTIR.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
There's no sweetener. Jets and Byfuglien have an agreement in principle to terminate the contract.

He's suspended by the team. He isn't earning salary, not using up cap space.
I misunderstood. Thought they wanted to get rid of his contract, never thought in a million years that they would think they could trade it. Confused me.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
There's no sweetener. Jets and Byfuglien have an agreement in principle to terminate the contract.
Exactly, the poster I replied to wanted the Jets to provide a sweetener in the deal as that poster didn't bother to read the article.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I misunderstood. Thought they wanted to get rid of his contract, never thought in a million years that they would think they could trade it. Confused me.

It is a confusing situation. How often do contracts get mutually terminated?

Not sure how much trade value the big guy has, but I guess we're going to see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad