Confirmed with Link: Jets sign Sam Gagner 1 year / 750 K

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Well Adam Lowry had more points than Bowness's 3rd line centre on the Stars last year (Faksa 19 pts in 77, on a playoff team), so I think the cinder block mitts that scored at the same rate as Dubois last year should be safe. Maybe gets the green light to hit more. Which should be fun.
I think Lowry is hitting less due to shoulder injuries. Once you hurt a shoulder like he did it never comes back totally and is very susceptible to further damage.

Reactions: voyageur

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Now maybe look into Derek Brassard, Alex Chiasson, Derek Stepan for another bargain signing.
Chiasson I read was skating with the Canucks, so I think he's clamouring there. Stepan's already invited to Carolina's camp. The Jets management used to be high on Brassard but I think that was Brassard after 2017. He managed to get less playoff games than Brad Malone last year in Edmonton. I wouldn't be surprised if he retired. I'm not sure you can't do better on the waiver at this point.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I think this is a great addition to the organization. I predict the Jets get more 4th line scoring as a result of bringing him on to the team.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I see Sam getting a bit more of an offensive green light in Winnipeg, and will probably even see some PP2 time. I think he will outscore Stastny this year and maybe even Copp :)
Both Stastny and Copp will get better players as linemates than Gagner to start the year. Both are guaranteed PP time. I'm not even sure if Gagner starts on the PP this year, last home game Lowry set up a nice PP goal on a line with Perfetti and Wheeler. I wouldn't be surprised if Lurch is given the chance to contribute offensively this year too. Gagner is going to be an improvement over Svetchnikov, I think that's his role, can also play in the top 6, and unlike Svetchnikov on a checking line. I'm hoping for 30 points out of him this year, I think he'll be a good leader to replace some of the leadership lost.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Both Stastny and Copp will get better players as linemates than Gagner to start the year. Both are guaranteed PP time. I'm not even sure if Gagner starts on the PP this year, last home game Lowry set up a nice PP goal on a line with Perfetti and Wheeler. I wouldn't be surprised if Lurch is given the chance to contribute offensively this year too. Gagner is going to be an improvement over Svetchnikov, I think that's his role, can also play in the top 6, and unlike Svetchnikov on a checking line. I'm hoping for 30 points out of him this year, I think he'll be a good leader to replace some of the leadership lost.
Gagner should easily clear 30 pts. That should be the minimum. If he is scoring 30 pts on a rebuilding Detroits bottom-6 there should be zero excuse to get less than that on a supposed contender.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I see Sam getting a bit more of an offensive green light in Winnipeg, and will probably even see some PP2 time. I think he will outscore Stastny this year and maybe even Copp :)
Appreciate your optimistic stance of late, but you've really underestimated Copp's loss and overestimated Gagner.

Gagner is a 33 yo on a league minimum contract and his 31 points on the Wings was a high point for him in the last 6 seasons. He's a year older and will likely have less opportunity here than on the Wings, barring injury.
Solid bottom 6 addition though.

Copp is at the peak of his career--his value is reflected in what the Rangers gave up for him and what the Wings are now paying him. Think of losing Bryan Little and everything he brought to the Jets core, on the ice and in the dressing room.

Last edited:

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Gagner should easily clear 30 pts. That should be the minimum. If he is scoring 30 pts on a rebuilding Detroits bottom-6 there should be zero excuse to get less than that on a supposed contender.
Depends if he get's only fourth line minutes. If so, will likely only put up ~15 points.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Appreciate your optimistic stance of late, but you've really underestimated Copp's loss and overestimated Gagner.

Gagner is a 33 yo on a league minimum contract and his 31 points on the Wings was a high point for him in the last 6 seasons. He's a year older and will likely have less opportunity here than on the Wings, barring injury.
Solid bottom 6 addition though.

Copp is at the peak of his career--his value is reflected in what the Rangers gave up for him and what the Wings are now paying him. Think of losing Bryan Little and everything he brought to the Jets core, on the ice and in the dressing room.
Yeah the Copp thing was more of a hot take, admittedly

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Depends if he get's only fourth line minutes. If so, will likely only put up ~15 points.
he was getting 4th line mins in detroit and put up those pt totals. he should have better linemates here too being on our 4th line vs detroit's, so if there's a drop-off a bit in TOI, perhaps better linemate mix mitigates that.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlaskaJet

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think Gagner essentially replaces the bottom 6 offense we lost when Perrault left.

I think Perfetti replaces Stastny's totals. We really don't have a ready made replacement for Copp so we will need a number of depth players ro step up and collectively replace it.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Gagner is the type of bottom 6 players we should have been adding for years.

Has skill enough to be able to finish and provide some offense, but also is a good worker and is versatile enough to be able to play on the PP or the PK. I could care less that he's not a huge guy with high hit totals.

Might be worth a shot to have him switch with Appleton and play with Scheifele and Connor while Ehlers is out.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Always liked Gagner as a player and loved the signing from the get-go. Exactly the kind of higher-impact elder statesman the best teams seem to manage to sign year after year and a huge improvement over the usual Letestus and Eakins.

Gotta say too that it's kinda great to see this emerging genre of former young guns remaking their game as wily vets who can slide up and down a lineup. It's a net benefit to the game IMO and helps counter the peak years or bust mentality that we've seen creeping in for a while now. Yeah, everyone wants 40 goal Laine on an ELC, but I really enjoy watching a super smart vet player work their magic a la Stats or now Gagner.

I can already see 33 year-old Cole Perfetti tearing up the league.... slowly, carefully, avoiding the cracks in the ice and leaving a few minutes before the game ends so he can beat the traffic and get home in time for Matlock...

Last edited:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Always liked Gagner as a player and loved the signing from the get-go. Exactly the kind of higher-impact elder statesman the best teams seem to manage to sign year after year and a huge improvement over the usual Letestus and Eakins.

Gotta say too that it's kinda great to see this emerging genre of former young guns remaking their game as wily vets who can slide up and down a lineup. It's a net benefit to the game IMO and helps counter the peak years or bust mentality that we've seen creeping in for a while now. Yeah, everyone wants 40 goal Laine on an ELC, but I really enjoy watching a super smart vet player work their magic a la Stats or now Gagner.

I can already see 33 year-old Cole Perfetti tearing up the league.... slowly, carefully, avoiding the cracks in the ice and leaving a few mind before the game ends so he can beat the traffic and get home in time for Matlock...
Skilled Vets >>> Unskilled Vets

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
I was at the game on Monday night and during one commercial break I watched Gagner closely. He was on the ice leaning over the boards onto the bench, it was right after Scheifele's goal. He was talking to Scheifele and Appleton and was extremely animated, flailing his arms around and pointing to spots on the ice and motioning to them which way they should've gone, or did go, hard to tell if it was a "you should be doing this" chat or a "great job at doing this". I believe it was the latter, though, because Scheifele was nodding along and saying ya, while Appleton was grinning and nodding as well. After that, Gags hopped the boards and plunked down beside Lowry and did the same thing, motioning to the ice as if to say, "I'll go here, you go there." Lowry also nodded in acceptance and Gags gave him a tap on the leg. AFTER THAT, same commercial break, he started chirping down the bench at Stanley, again pointing and motioning on the ice. Stanley looked back nodding and smiling.

When Gagner signed, i said to my buddies that was the best free agent signing in Jets 2.0 history, not only because he's always been one of my favorite players, but because of this stuff. He's a leader, he can get the most out of teammates. He can do it all. So happy with him, and his production so far. I realize it's early, but i was already firmly on the Gagner bandwagon, and I'm still crazy pumped.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Gagner is becoming my lunchbucket favourite player. What a great signing.

No nonsense, knows how to win.

I was at the game on Monday night and during one commercial break I watched Gagner closely. He was on the ice leaning over the boards onto the bench, it was right after Scheifele's goal. He was talking to Scheifele and Appleton and was extremely animated, flailing his arms around and pointing to spots on the ice and motioning to them which way they should've gone, or did go, hard to tell if it was a "you should be doing this" chat or a "great job at doing this". I believe it was the latter, though, because Scheifele was nodding along and saying ya, while Appleton was grinning and nodding as well. After that, Gags hopped the boards and plunked down beside Lowry and did the same thing, motioning to the ice as if to say, "I'll go here, you go there." Lowry also nodded in acceptance and Gags gave him a tap on the leg. AFTER THAT, same commercial break, he started chirping down the bench at Stanley, again pointing and motioning on the ice. Stanley looked back nodding and smiling.

When Gagner signed, i said to my buddies that was the best free agent signing in Jets 2.0 history, not only because he's always been one of my favorite players, but because of this stuff. He's a leader, he can get the most out of teammates. He can do it all. So happy with him, and his production so far. I realize it's early, but i was already firmly on the Gagner bandwagon, and I'm still crazy pumped.
He is a de facto playing coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad