Confirmed with Link: Jets sign Sam Gagner 1 year / 750 K

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Wel then this means we're likely getting a stark top6/bottom 6 separation. Which by all accounts is a mothodogy that Bowness supports .

Personally, I would prefer a more balanced approach. But if the 3rd line will be a shutdown line, hopefully we can get closer to a Copp, Lowry, Tanev level of effectiveness. That line didnt have allot of scoring finish but it was fast and cycled allot in the O zone, tiring out the other team. Is that Gagner? Haven't really seen him play. Is he a break even hold your own in the D zone player or can he help eat up time/sustain pressure in the o zone and tilt the ice?

And please let's not have the 4th line play 4 minutes either.
Bowness in dallas seemingly was a one-line team that carried the bill offensively, and a large reliance on players like Faksa/Glendening/Raffl for the bottom-6.

i haven't followed Gagner for years so might not have the most qualified opinion. but his game when he was younger i would say was predicated more on offense, playmaking and using his hands/stick-handling, & wasn't really noted for physicality or defensive acumen. i don't think he's similar to either tanev or copp really, perhaps closer to copp, but still think different stylistically. stats seem to say his defensive game has improved but still teetering on average (which is fine if he's a Winger).

personally i think he should be paired w/ more of a shooter/finisher to capitalize on the scoring opps he can create.

I'm curious if they consider

Connor Dubois Gagner
Perfetti Scheif Ehlers

I feel Gagner fits in well there, he's the guy who will go to the corners to dig the puck out.. like a more skilled Svech. Pushes Wheeler to the 3rd line Barron Lowry Wheeler and gives us a 4th line of Harkins Gus Apples.

It's something to consider
id say v little chance they'd do that

Last edited:
Reactions: DannyGallivan

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Who did Gagner play with most in Detroit last year?

While he is definitely an upgrade offensively to the Jets bottom 6, if he got the majority of his points playing with top players or being fed PP time, the numbers may not translate if he is stapled to the fourth line especially if that line only gets 4 minutes per game. Or if he’s alongside someone like Lowry who is known to often be snake bitten.

He and Ehlers seem like their play styles could be mutually beneficial. Wouldn’t surprise me if they had instant chemistry.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Who did Gagner play with most in Detroit last year?

While he is definitely an upgrade offensively to the Jets bottom 6, if he got the majority of his points playing with top players or being fed PP time, the numbers may not translate if he is stapled to the fourth line especially if that line only gets 4 minutes per game. Or if he’s alongside someone like Lowry who is known to often be snake bitten.

He and Ehlers seem like their play styles could be mutually beneficial. Wouldn’t surprise me if they had instant chemistry.
other than some time with Vrana it's no one really of note. he had 21 5v5 pts, for 1.51 pts/60 (for reference Jets bottom-6ers: Lowry 0.7 pts/60, Ves 0.4 pts/60 Harkins 1.1 pts/60, Toninato 1.03 pts/60....) so pretty solid scoring efficiency comparatively.

wouldn't doubt he and ehlers has chemistry.... ehlers has solid chemistry w/ most players :laugh:

1662245912335.png

Reactions: hn777

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
other than some time with Vrana it's no one really of note. he had 21 5v5 pts, for 1.51 pts/60 (for reference Jets bottom-6ers: Lowry 0.7 pts/60, Ves 0.4 pts/60 Harkins 1.1 pts/60, Toninato 1.03 pts/60....) so pretty solid scoring efficiency comparatively.

wouldn't doubt he and ehlers has chemistry.... ehlers has solid chemistry w/ most players :laugh:

View attachment 581470

Yup Gagner was pretty much on their fourth line most of the year. He gives us that production from the fourth and that will help us a lot.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
idk on what basis he is being considered a good PKer. he got 190 mins are you going off that?

our bottom-6 is not good offensively, whether it be scoring or creating chances. Gagner helps with that. he had 31 pts this past year, his scoring/TOI rates at 5v5 are better than anyone we iced in the bottom-6, & that stats/analytics folks rate him above-average in driving offensive opportunities. will he flourish if he's paired with players like harkins/lowry/appleton/toninato though :dunno:, i still think we need a middle-6 skilled Fwd to complement him. I don't know if he's at the level to drive any of those players to ~20 goals/0.5 PPG.

idk how much bowness will actually plan on using him though. Bowness seems to like his low-end grinders for 3rd and 4th lines from his DAL line up. But this is a step in the right direction to help the scoring depth. lets see how he's used, linemates, TOI etc. I also think he could help our PP2, and over his career (dating back years now though) has shown he can play with skill players. if an injury hits to one of our top-6ers id be a bit more comfortable with Gagner filling in than the aforementioned players above (leaving out Barron for now since dunno much about him, not a lot of NHL experience)

i think for 750kx1 if he gives you 20-30 pts while being average defensively that's pretty solid. At worst you trade him at the TDL if we're out of it for a pick.
I was going off Gagner himself. When asked on CJOB he mentioned the penalty kill specifically. He also said he's more of a defensive player at this point in his career. Not saying that's true but that's what I was basing it off of.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I'm curious if they consider

Connor Dubois Gagner
Perfetti Scheif Ehlers

I feel Gagner fits in well there, he's the guy who will go to the corners to dig the puck out.. like a more skilled Svech. Pushes Wheeler to the 3rd line Barron Lowry Wheeler and gives us a 4th line of Harkins Gus Apples.

It's something to consider
Well, if someone thought Svech was an actual top six candidate then that scenario would make sense. However, he almost certainly fits a third line role.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I do fully believe that some more scoring is coming.

There's still some moves that need to be made by other teams, and some players looking for contracts.

I could even see some depth scorers potentially being waived.

We're not done yet
I wonder about that. I could see the Jets giving Mathieu Perreault a tryout, but not much else. I hope to heavens we don't sign Antoine Roussel, I am not a fan of rat hockey, but maybe that's a guy that gets an offer.

Let's say Barron wins a job in camp, as many of us expect to. Gagner is set for the 4th line likely, and you have Gus, Toninato and Harkins fighting to play on that line. One in the PB. That's 13 players already.

Waiver eligible players like Reichel and Maenalanen have little chance now to make the team. Mallot and Stenlund probably pass through waivers. As do Eyssimont and Limoges. Then from the prospect list you have Torgersson, Nikkanen, Lucius, Bongiovanni. Possibly Lambert. Polei-Maier-Jones are probably the 4th line on the Moose to start the campaign, that was Morrison's guys last year to kickstart the team. Then you have some other AHL signings like Bilek trying to make the team, and there doesn't seem to be enough roster spots for the players already here. Of course an injury or two takes care of that.

With the defensive logjam, there's probably a chance that the Jets carry 2 extra d-men. Although maybe thery are waiting for TC, to see how Kovacevic performs before making any moves, such as moving Stanley out to break that logjam on defense and make an easier path for Heinola and Chisholm to move up the lineup.

Another signing/trade decreases Barron's chance to make the team, which I don't think is necessarily a bad thing, as he's in my mind the best replacement level player the organization has for Lowry at centre. But by the same token we always talk about blocking the path of young players on here. Another addition to this team would be precisely that kind of management move.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Awesome. I really liked him when he was with the Oilers as part of the youth movement in their first attempt at a rebuild.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I wonder about that. I could see the Jets giving Mathieu Perreault a tryout, but not much else. I hope to heavens we don't sign Antoine Roussel, I am not a fan of rat hockey, but maybe that's a guy that gets an offer.

Let's say Barron wins a job in camp, as many of us expect to. Gagner is set for the 4th line likely, and you have Gus, Toninato and Harkins fighting to play on that line. One in the PB. That's 13 players already.

Waiver eligible players like Reichel and Maenalanen have little chance now to make the team. Mallot and Stenlund probably pass through waivers. As do Eyssimont and Limoges. Then from the prospect list you have Torgersson, Nikkanen, Lucius, Bongiovanni. Possibly Lambert. Polei-Maier-Jones are probably the 4th line on the Moose to start the campaign, that was Morrison's guys last year to kickstart the team. Then you have some other AHL signings like Bilek trying to make the team, and there doesn't seem to be enough roster spots for the players already here. Of course an injury or two takes care of that.

With the defensive logjam, there's probably a chance that the Jets carry 2 extra d-men. Although maybe thery are waiting for TC, to see how Kovacevic performs before making any moves, such as moving Stanley out to break that logjam on defense and make an easier path for Heinola and Chisholm to move up the lineup.

Another signing/trade decreases Barron's chance to make the team, which I don't think is necessarily a bad thing, as he's in my mind the best replacement level player the organization has for Lowry at centre. But by the same token we always talk about blocking the path of young players on here. Another addition to this team would be precisely that kind of management move.
Valid. As I've said before, I'm not as angsty as many on here about starting the season with the roster we have.

There are so many variables , it's almost worth it to go through tc and exhibition as is to evaluate all of our assets, reassess after that.

However, the one thing I don't want to see is Chevy waiting too long to make an adjustment should we see an obvious need in the early season.

We really need to see how quickly the team buys into new systems and whether some of our question marks are ready to become everyday contributors.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Valid. As I've said before, I'm not as angsty as many on here about starting the season with the roster we have.

There are so many variables , it's almost worth it to go through tc and exhibition as is to evaluate all of our assets, reassess after that.

However, the one thing I don't want to see is Chevy waiting too long to make an adjustment should we see an obvious need in the early season.

We really need to see how quickly the team buys into new systems and whether some of our question marks are ready to become everyday contributors.
Angsty- I like it !

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

I agree with you on the latter point. I thought last year Chevy was way too slow or inept at addressing the clear RW deficiency on this team. His spending to the Cap on a 22 player roster left no manoeuvrability, which was need when the defense wasn't clicking, and the PK was struggling.

If the Jets can count on 150 goals out of Connor, Scheifele, Ehlers, Dubois, Wheeler combined, really you only need 100 goals from the rest of the team to reach the same scoring rate as last year. And that doesn't seem out of reach when you start to put up at least 10 goals besides the names of Gagner, Lowry, Appleton, Morrissey and potentially Perfetti, Barron, perhaps even Harkins.

I still think the objective for this team should be to score 250 goals in a season and allow 225. Improved goaltending, defensive systems and special teams make that a realistic goal. Achievement is always a matter of execution, maybe one part luck.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
KFC-PLD-Perfetti
Ehlers-Scheif-Gagner
Harkins-Wheeler-Apples
Barron-Lowry-Gus

That would be my preferred lineup

Gagner with two trigger men would work - we saw that Stas elevated his game here so don’t see what Gagner couldn’t

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
KFC-PLD-Perfetti
Ehlers-Scheif-Gagner
Harkins-Wheeler-Apples
Barron-Lowry-Gus

That would be my preferred lineup

Gagner with two trigger men would work - we saw that Stas elevated his game here so don’t see what Gagner couldn’t
I wonder if anyone in the org has the balls to replace second line captain Wheels (vet) with a sub $1M vet -
But for the sake of what we "prefer", I agree - worth a look

Reactions: JetsUK and DRW204

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I wonder if anyone in the org has the balls to replace second line captain Wheels (vet) with a sub $1M vet -

I just hope Wheeler is ready to start on time this year. We can't wait a 1/4 to 1/3 of the way in for him to find his game. I hope our new coaching staff is on top of this and is quick to move him down tye lineup if he has yet another incredibly slow start.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I think he'd be a great asset as a 3C - I liked when he filled in as 2C and didn't think he looked out of place. Definitely still worried that Scheif-Wheeler line combo are too predictable and too slack on D

Gagner and Ehlers give Scheif a play driver and a defensive playmaker... would be tough for him to dog it all season with that line.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I think he'd be a great asset as a 3C - I liked when he filled in as 2C and didn't think he looked out of place. Definitely still worried that Scheif-Wheeler line combo are too predictable and too slack on D

Gagner and Ehlers give Scheif a play driver and a defensive playmaker... would be tough for him to dog it all season with that line.
Agreed -
From what i hear, Gagner still has a fair amount of compete in his game - I'd love to see him with a couple of high end shooters

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
The bottom six competition looks good for once:

LW
Barron (the sizey new guy) VS Harkins (Copp 2.0 poised to take a big step?)

C
Lowry (big vet shutdown C with stone hands) VS Gus (big rookie shutdown C with okay hands)

RW
Appleton (hard working speedy grinder with a bit of scoring punch) VS Gagner (vet winger with above average offensive tools)
IIRC "Stone Hands" slid a number of shorties past opposition goalies last year.

Wright was stone hands.
Lousy, I believe, played the role Mo asked of him.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
IIRC "Stone Hands" slid a number of shorties past opposition goalies last year.

Wright was stone hands.
Lousy, I believe, played the role Mo asked of him.
Last season Lowry had 3 short handed goals as the teams #1 PK middle man. I hope Bowness puts those old cinder block mitts on the 4th line and builds a 3rd line around more skilled puck movers

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Last season Lowry had 3 short handed goals as the teams #1 PK middle man. I hope Bowness puts those old cinder block mitts on the 4th line and builds a 3rd line around more skilled puck movers
Well Adam Lowry had more points than Bowness's 3rd line centre on the Stars last year (Faksa 19 pts in 77, on a playoff team), so I think the cinder block mitts that scored at the same rate as Dubois last year should be safe. Maybe gets the green light to hit more. Which should be fun.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Well Adam Lowry had more points than Bowness's 3rd line centre on the Stars last year (Faksa 19 pts in 77, on a playoff team), so I think the cinder block mitts that scored at the same rate as Dubois last year should be safe. Maybe gets the green light to hit more. Which should be fun.
What stat are you looking at that had Lowry scoring at the same rate as Dubois?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad