Confirmed with Link: Jets sign Sam Gagner 1 year / 750 K

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yep, absolutely, been interesting to watch.

Samwise can't carry the puck all the time, but he can sure help carry the team.

He's the type of vet signing I had been advocating for for years. Has enough talent to contribute but is wiley enough to know how to play a responsible game and be good in the room.

All the best teams are now doing this, Perry in Tampa, Spezza the prior fee years in Toronto. I am glad teams are finally keying in on the fact that skill players make the best depth players, pk players etc.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Gagner has been a pleasant surprise this season so far. It's nice having some 3rd/4th offensive contributions! See him as another Perreault, not in skill set, but as a versatile vet who can be moved up and down the line-up as needed. Frankly, I'm surprised he isn't getting a look with the top line instead of Appleton.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Gagner was likely always going to be a good value given his contract. i do echo those who bring up he probably would fit better playing in the top-6 ahead of appleton (one of my takeaways of his deal was that he'd a better top-6 fill-in than appleton at rw).

i do think we could benefit of playing him a bit more. the Jets 4th line is basically getting maurice levels of 5v5 TOI share. we have 10 goals at 5v5 hockey this year, he has 2 of them, & we seem to rate-well in on-ice shot/chances for when he's been on the ice.

Last edited:

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
Gagner was likely always going to be a good value given his contract. i do echo those who bring up he probably would fit better playing in the top-6 ahead of appleton (one of my takeaways of his deal was that he'd a better top-6 fill-in than appleton at rw).

i do think we could benefit of playing him a bit more. the Jets 4th line is basically getting maurice levels of 5v5 TOI share. we have 9 goals at 5v5 hockey this year, he has 2 of them, & we seem to rate-well in on-ice shot/chances for when he's been on the ice.
That is the important part. When he was in Vancouver the expectation was much higher because Benning signed him for 3+mill x 3 years. Everyone was hoping for a top 6 guy at a bargain, not a bottom 6 guy with lots of upside.
Lucky Chevy got the higher skilled vet at such a good price.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

i do think we could benefit of playing him a bit more. the Jets 4th line is basically getting maurice levels of 5v5 TOI share. we have 10 goals at 5v5 hockey this year, he has 2 of them, & we seem to rate-well in on-ice shot/chances for when he's been on the ice.
There were 7 players that averaged less toi per game last year than any player on the Jets this year..

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
There were 7 players that averaged less toi per game last year than any player on the Jets this year..
im looking at FLAs toi distribution. and gagner is getting basically same portion of the 5v5 mins as their 4th line players. our bottom-6 was dreadful last year i can see why they didnt get minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: JetsUK

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
That is the important part. When he was in Vancouver the expectation was much higher because Benning signed him for 3+mill x 3 years. Everyone was hoping for a top 6 guy at a bargain, not a bottom 6 guy with lots of upside.
Lucky Chevy got the higher skilled vet at such a good price.
Yeah I'm hoping he posts similar stats /rates as to what he did in CBJ that one year at 0.65m. Given he has 30 pts on a rebuilding Detroit team bottom 6 he should smash that here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad