Confirmed with Link: Jets sign Sam Gagner 1 year / 750 K

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Decent depth piece for not much of a cost. Would like to see a move for an impact middle 6 winger to replace Copp or Stastny, but I’ll take this.

Reactions: hockeyarena

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I'm Confused . I get that he's a good penalty killer. Good "depth " player and good in the locker room. But hasn't the reason the top 6 has been played to death is because of lack of scoring punch in the bottom 6 especially the 3rd line?

He got 13 goals in a virtually full season. Lets say he plays 76 this season. That's what? 11 goals pace? That's Lowry production or worse. And many say we should move him to the 4th line as it is.

Don't get me wrong. Im not poo pooing this signing. I guess I'm not as impressed about it as most here. I don't see how this addresses our lack of bottom 6 scoring issues.
This signals shut down third line to me. Things won’t be as different as a lot hoped imo

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
This signals shut down third line to me. Things won’t be as different as a lot hoped imo

Wel then this means we're likely getting a stark top6/bottom 6 separation. Which by all accounts is a mothodogy that Bowness supports .

Personally, I would prefer a more balanced approach. But if the 3rd line will be a shutdown line, hopefully we can get closer to a Copp, Lowry, Tanev level of effectiveness. That line didnt have allot of scoring finish but it was fast and cycled allot in the O zone, tiring out the other team. Is that Gagner? Haven't really seen him play. Is he a break even hold your own in the D zone player or can he help eat up time/sustain pressure in the o zone and tilt the ice?

And please let's not have the 4th line play 4 minutes either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Teemusalami204

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I'm Confused . I get that he's a good penalty killer. Good "depth " player and good in the locker room. But hasn't the reason the top 6 has been played to death is because of lack of scoring punch in the bottom 6 especially the 3rd line?

He got 13 goals in a virtually full season. Lets say he plays 76 this season. That's what? 11 goals pace? That's Lowry production or worse. And many say we should move him to the 4th line as it is.

Don't get me wrong. Im not poo pooing this signing. I guess I'm not as impressed about it as most here. I don't see how this addresses our lack of bottom 6 scoring issues.
We all just watched vesalainen put up 3 points in 53 games last year, and he played up the lineup in quite a few of them. 31 points from Gagner is on a completely different level than some of the guys we iced in the bottom 6 last year

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
The bottom six competition looks good for once:

LW
Barron (the sizey new guy) VS Harkins (Copp 2.0 poised to take a big step?)

C
Lowry (big vet shutdown C with stone hands) VS Gus (big rookie shutdown C with okay hands)

RW
Appleton (hard working speedy grinder with a bit of scoring punch) VS Gagner (vet winger with above average offensive tools)

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Anybody else find it interesting the Oilers signed Ryan Murray 1 hour after Gagner signed in Winnipeg, for the same money?

Reactions: AlaskaJet

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
No because one plays defence and the other is a forward.
Well yes. My point is, Edmonton was heavily rumoured to be bringing Gagner back. Perhaps even on a PTO. So it’s almost like the two teams were waiting for him to make a decision. Once he chose Winnipeg, Edmonton decided to allocate their remaining resources to a different player for same money.

Maybe I’m wrong. Just seems like too much of a coincidence.

Reactions: Pongs21 and hn777

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016

It doesn't address our bottom 6 scoring. Ideally I would see Gagner on the 4th line.

If we can sign a decent bottom 6 scorer, say Rodrigues (I get the feeling he's waiting to sign with a specific team though), and try running a top 9 with our 6 best players spread out:

Connor-Dubois-Wheeler
Ehlers-Schiefele-Appleton
Harkins-Perfetti-Rodrigues
Barron-Lowry-Gagner

Doesn't look too bad.

Ideally, I'd put Apples on the 3rd and look for a better candidate than Rodrigues, but not sure who that could be. Maybe trade for Sam Bennet?

*shrug*

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

idk on what basis he is being considered a good PKer. he got 190 mins are you going off that?

our bottom-6 is not good offensively, whether it be scoring or creating chances. Gagner helps with that. he had 31 pts this past year, his scoring/TOI rates at 5v5 are better than anyone we iced in the bottom-6, & that stats/analytics folks rate him above-average in driving offensive opportunities. will he flourish if he's paired with players like harkins/lowry/appleton/toninato though :dunno:, i still think we need a middle-6 skilled Fwd to complement him. I don't know if he's at the level to drive any of those players to ~20 goals/0.5 PPG.

idk how much bowness will actually plan on using him though. Bowness seems to like his low-end grinders for 3rd and 4th lines from his DAL line up. But this is a step in the right direction to help the scoring depth. lets see how he's used, linemates, TOI etc. I also think he could help our PP2, and over his career (dating back years now though) has shown he can play with skill players. if an injury hits to one of our top-6ers id be a bit more comfortable with Gagner filling in than the aforementioned players above (leaving out Barron for now since dunno much about him, not a lot of NHL experience)

i think for 750kx1 if he gives you 20-30 pts while being average defensively that's pretty solid. At worst you trade him at the TDL if we're out of it for a pick.

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

I do fully believe that some more scoring is coming.

There's still some moves that need to be made by other teams, and some players looking for contracts.

I could even see some depth scorers potentially being waived.

We're not done yet

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

He put up 31 points last year. Toninato, Harkins, and Veslainen scored 30 points combined.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville

There's still some moves that need to be made by other teams, and some players looking for contracts.

We're not done yet
Well I hope you're right. While I think this is a "good" signing, particularly for the price, this hardly elevates us to contender status. We're still not looking as good as we did at the beginning of last year's horrendous season.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB

We're not done yet
Posted by Aavco Cup on twitter, they still have room to bring someone in.
069E1827-17CE-47F8-B6D0-7907847FE8E3.jpeg

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Well I hope you're right. While I think this is a "good" signing, particularly for the price, this hardly elevates us to contender status. We're still not looking as good as we did at the beginning of last year's horrendous season.
Yes and no.

Our blue chip prospects have had another year of development, and we have an entirely new coaching staff.

Hellebuyck tends to rebound after a less than stellar year.

Things are aligning well and I have a very positive feeling about this year
Posted by Aavco Cup on twitter, they still have room to bring someone in.
View attachment 581419
Yup, and Chevy has shown he's willing to spend up to the cap. The org must know it's now or never with this group.

Though its driving some guys mad right now, I think Chevy remaining patient is going to pay off.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Well yes. My point is, Edmonton was heavily rumoured to be bringing Gagner back. Perhaps even on a PTO. So it’s almost like the two teams were waiting for him to make a decision. Once he chose Winnipeg, Edmonton decided to allocate their remaining resources to a different player for same money.

Maybe I’m wrong. Just seems like too much of a coincidence.

Ah, I see what you mean. I don't think so. If the PTO was what Edmonton was thinking, I don't think they'd risk losing their other target just in case he earned a contract out of camp. It could've been coincidence. Done before the long weekend.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I'm curious if they consider

Connor Dubois Gagner
Perfetti Scheif Ehlers

I feel Gagner fits in well there, he's the guy who will go to the corners to dig the puck out.. like a more skilled Svech. Pushes Wheeler to the 3rd line Barron Lowry Wheeler and gives us a 4th line of Harkins Gus Apples.

It's something to consider

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad