jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
#1 with a bullet on hockeyDB!

Screenshot from 2022-09-02 13-10-01.png

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
First thing I did. I wanted to see his last year's totals. Pretty nice actual. 31 point season with the Wings.

Yeah imo he's the vet to play with Gus and Barron on line 4. He still is a good playmaker and has rounded his game out over the years. This will give our kids a skilled player to play with and create more of a two-way fourth line. I think he will really help those two and it will mark a change in the types of vets we run for depth.

I also agree with @Jet that one more middle 6 to play on line 3 is needed.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yeah imo he's the vet to play with Gus and Barron on line 4. He still is a good playmaker and has rounded his game out over the years. This will give our kids a skilled ayer to pkay with and create more of a two-way fourth line. I think he will really help those two and it will mark a change in the types of vets we run for depth.

I also agree with @Jet that one more middle 6 to play on line 3 is needed.
He has also developed a reputation of a hard worker and positional sound as his career has gone on. Went and checked the main boards and is generally seen as a good signing by the Jets.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
This is a good move, and exactly the kind of thing I expected. Veteran depth guy, PKer, and a right hand shot to boot.

Really hoping Gustafsson still gets that #4C spot since Gagner usually plays center, IIRC.

If Maurice was still here, I'd worry we'd see a 4th line of Harkins-Gagner-Stenlund with Toninato on popcorn duty and Gustafsson back with the Moose. But that's what training camp is for.:popcorn:

Reactions: hn777

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
This is a good move, and exactly the kind of thing I expected. Veteran depth guy, PKer, and a right hand shot to boot.

Really hoping Gustafsson still gets that #4C spot since Gagner usually plays center, IIRC.

If Maurice was still here, I'd worry we'd see a 4th line of Harkins-Gagner-Stenlund with Toninato on popcorn duty and Gustafsson back with the Moose. But that's what training camp is for.:popcorn:
Even with Maurice as coach I doubt Gus is with the Moose. He is no longer waiver exempt, so a trip to the Moose likely means he is out of the organization.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Even with Maurice as coach I doubt Gus is with the Moose. He is no longer waiver exempt, so a trip to the Moose likely means he is out of the organization.
Wow, thanks, I had completely missed that.

So worse case, Gus is the one eating the popcorn :D

But seriously, would think it's more like Harkins-Gus-Gagner in that case. Hopefully, anyway.

Reactions: KingBogo

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
I know of the player, but didn't know much about him. From what I have read, he seems like a good bottom 6 player. A pretty good signing for $750K.

One more signing for a decent 3rd line player would be nice. Try to balance out the lines and running a top 9 with 2 great players + Eh player could be a good way to go.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
The Jets have ~4.75M to add another forward by trade or FA. My #1 target would be Sam Bennett from Florida. They need to make a move at some point. There are a couple options on the market.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Been waiting for something I can feel positive about this off season....

Here is a recent reference that reflects my sentiments. (His wife is from Edm and he played there for years, so they know him well)

... Gagner had a very respectable year in Detroit in 2021-22. In 81 games, he went 13-18-31 and was just -4 on a bad team. And 21 of those points were at 5v5. Sam is not the player he was when Edmonton first drafted him. But in some ways, that could work in his favor. Gagner is a Center on Hockey DB only. He is now primarily a Right Wing, coincidentally the position where the Oilers may be the weakest (sound familiar??)....And he has re-invented himself defensively, spending 191 total minutes on the ice short-handed last year. Further, past teammates and coaches have nothing but good things to say about Gagner as a teammate and a good pro who sets a great example. At 33, Sam is not “old” …

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad