Recalled/Assigned: Jets Recall Sami Niku (UPD re-assigned to the Moose April 21)

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I cannot see him not making it. His skating is too good. I think if he "gets" the NHL pro game he could be very productive. Everything he has done this year in the AHL has been great. Even his slight improvements in the defensive zone. He doesn't need to be this stalwart because his greatest asset is the ability to move the puck quickly and effectively out of his zone. Plus he has that good enough size that he won't get completely dominated down low.
I completely agree. It's not just Niku's skating, which is outstanding, but also how quickly he seems to process the game and move the puck. He'll need to increase his pace and intensity defensively to close gaps and disrupt plays in his zone, just as Morrissey did. He will probably also need to improve his strength a bit to have a full-time NHL role. I think that by sometime next year he should be able to play effectively at the NHL level, at least in a bottom pairing role. In the future, I think he has top-4 potential.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
NHLPA put this one out

IMG_0832.jpg

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
They grow up so fast...your son looked pretty slick in his first game. Love that PMo tossed him out there in OT.
Yep, that's the side of PMo I want to see a lot more of. Trust the kids & the rookies enough to put them out there 3 on 3, PP & PK, and even shootout (if they're hot). Not saying everyone is cut out for that role, but the business of guys like Morrissey needing to earn those opportunities just isn't right

Reactions: Insthofen

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He reminds me of Erik Karlsson.

Trying to restrain the excessive exuberance - but at least stylistically, yes.

Karlsson has about 15 lbs on Niku and Sami may need to gain about that without losing speed/agility. But I'm pretty confident that he is going to be a good one.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The Jets capitalised on a market inefficiency. I like it. Also, I hope Beyak fixes his pronunciation of Niku's last name for the next game. "Ni-Q" is wrong.

Agree - but I expect he will. Beyak is usually pretty good with that kind of detail. He is very professional - despite his quirks.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Trying to restrain the excessive exuberance - but at least stylistically, yes.

Karlsson has about 15 lbs on Niku and Sami may need to gain about that without losing speed/agility. But I'm pretty confident that he is going to be a good one.
Pumped about this guys upside DEFINITELY. Jets need a good rushing/speedy defenseman in their lineup & looks like this kid could fill that role. Put him alongside a good stay at home defenseman like Poolman & we've got it made.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He played very well. Terrific in the offensive zone, great skating. Needs to clean up his defensive zone play though.

1st game rarely says anything on that.

That's likely true but these kids rarely play their game on their 1st game.

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Used him in the Sports Name game thread on here.

Hopefully will take awhile to figure out another name ....

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Mostly posted it since I discussed why Niku dropped at the time from a projected 2nd rounder to 7th round, and how the reasoning behind that drop was illogical.

Yea it’s solid and also talks about why he had better value at the time.

jets2020champs

Nov 6, 2016
Canada
Did anyone else catch the play where Niku was skating out of the zone, (almost got to the blue line),then you hear Buff calling for the puck at the opposite corner wall. So Niku passes back towards his own net where Buff gets the puck behind the net. I watched that about 3 times, and I’m sure if Niku didn’t pass it back, he would have been stripped of the puck. There were 3 Canadiens going to him on the play.

Reactions: Evil Little

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Did anyone else catch the play where Niku was skating out of the zone, (almost got to the blue line),then you hear Buff calling for the puck at the opposite corner wall. So Niku passes back towards his own net where Buff gets the puck behind the net. I watched that about 3 times, and I’m sure if Niku didn’t pass it back, he would have been stripped of the puck. There were 3 Canadiens going to him on the play.

No, do you have the approximate time code for that?
Btw Buff was smiling so hard when Niku scored, maybe he took him as his project :)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad