Recalled/Assigned: Jets Recall Sami Niku (UPD re-assigned to the Moose April 21)

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
This has to stay on HFBoards, but I've been doing some ROI work for selling my companies products to NHL teams, and the 7th round is a fun thing to study.

In general the average value obtained in the 7th round is higher than the 6th round (this is including the busts who never make the NHL).

Here's the real interesting part: If you exclusively look at "who makes it" (NHL GP >0 GP), the average value in the 7th round is higher than the 3rd-6th round.

That is a crazy stat?

Giddy up Croix Evingson all aboard the bandwagon.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Where are they now?
Jets 6th and 7th round picks:
Jason Kasdorf (G) - ECHL
Aaron Harstad (D) - ECHL
Ryan Olsen (F) - AHL/ECHL
Jamie Phillips (G) - AHL/ECHL
Marcus Karlstrom (D) - Sweden (Div 1 = 3rd tier)
Brenden Kichton (D) - AHL
Matt Ustaski (F) - NCAA/ECHL
Pavel Kraskovsky (F) - KHL
Matteo Gennaro (F) - WHL
Sami Niku (D) - AHL/NHL
Mason Appleton (F) - AHL
Mikhail Berdin (G) - USHL
Croix Evingson (D) - NCAA
Skylar McKenzie (F) - WHL
Arvid Holm (G) - Sweden (SuperElit/SHL)

Just looking at some other teams' 6th and 7th rounders since 2011:
CBJ - Nutivaara, Anton Forsberg (Chicago's backup G)
NYI - Alan Quine
TOR - Andreas Johnsson, Sparks?
ANA - Kase, Manson
PIT - Scott Wilson
TBL - Palat, Dotchin, Nikita Gusev (KHL)
WSH - Djoos
OTT - Dzingle
DAL - Jokipakka (KHL)
SJS - DeMelo, Labanc
CHI - Hinostroza
FLA - Pakarinen
BOS - Benning
NJD - Bratt
NSH - Mazanec

I think Anaheim is winning - two very good players in Josh Manson and Ondrej Kase. Niku and Appleton from the same draft is looking pretty good too.

Would you trade a mid first-rounder for 7 or 8 7th round picks?

Reactions: Saidin

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
From what I've heard Chevy say about the draft. The seventh round, even the sixth round is for individual scouts. If there is a player(s) left on the board an individual scout has passion about they will consider making that pick. If there isn't any passion they will even try and trade the pick for the next draft.
There's that, but I think there's also a tendency to just pick the most skilled player on the board, as opposed to all the pet prospects etc which may be off the board. I'm also reminded of the story Sather told about taking Lundqvist. They didn't know anyone left on the board but one of the Euro scouts had mentioned HL being a talented goalie.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Always a chance when he's on th NHL roster.

I'm going to need some of your knowledge here.

So we've used our 4 recalls, meaning this has to be an emergency recall, right? And if it's emergency, doesn't that mean we have less than 6 dmen good to go tonight?

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011

So we've used our 4 recalls, meaning this has to be an emergency recall, right? And if it's emergency, doesn't that mean we have less than 6 dmen good to go tonight?

I dont think we have used our 4. Not even close. This is a regular callup. It is one of the four but I don't know what the current count is.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

The regular season is over so those rules no longer apply.

Playoff callup rules limit the Jets to a total of 3 callups (other than emergency) while the Moose are still alive. Once a team is eliminated there are no restrictions on the number of callups! So every player on an NHL deal could be part of the black aces. But not while the Moose are still alive in the playoffs.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
The regular season is over so those rules no longer apply.

Playoff callup rules limit the Jets to a total of 3 callups (other than emergency) while the Moose are still alive. Once a team is eliminated there are no restrictions on the number of callups! So every player on an NHL deal could be part of the black aces. But not while the Moose are still alive in the playoffs.

Awesome, thanks for the clarification!

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I’m extremely excited, I thought we where gonna use Poolman but I just love the idea of Nikus speed and skill on the LD combined with this teams lack of that on the LD...

Jets1975

Dec 9, 2011
Hope a speedy recovery for Myers, but at the same time, I feel more comfortable with Niku in the lineup. Strange. (Edit: Sounds like Poolman will be in tonight. If Myers is out long term, hope Niku gets a chance at some point......)

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Hope a speedy recovery for Myers, but at the same time, I feel more comfortable with Niku in the lineup. Strange.

He’s in the press box. Unlikely he gets in the lineup for the playoffs unless someone else goes down

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad