Status
Not open for further replies.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I expect David Gustafsson to make the Jets this year, Vesalainen 40/60

It’s a bit of a log jam

Top 6 is set where Gus and Ves have little to no chance of cracking right away.

Bottom Six:
1. Copp
2. Lowry
3. Roslovic
4. Harkins
5. Perreault
6. Appleton

There’s also Perfetti who some think has a chance, but he should get another season in the OHL or even sneak away to Europe so he isn’t stuck in a no-hitter season.

I think Gus should be first call up, and Ves should be next and I sincerely hope to see Thompson and Dano as Moose and Moose only.

In the next 12-24 months I’d like to see Lowry and Perreault move on, and Gus and Ves take their places.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
It’s a bit of a log jam

Bottom Six:
1. Copp
2. Lowry
3. Roslovic
4. Harkins
5. Perreault
6. Appleton

There’s also Perfetti who some think has a chance, but he should get another season in the OHL or even sneak away to Europe so he isn’t stuck in a no-hitter season.

I think Gus should be first call up, and Ves should be next and I sincerely hope to see Thompson and Dano as Moose and Moose only.

In the next 12-24 months I’d like to see Lowry and Perreault move on, and Gus and Ves take their places.
Also isn't Roslovic not signed therefore could end up being moved for a 2nd or whatever. I don't want Perfetti getting 4 minutes a game.
If Roslo is moved
Copp Lowry Apple/Harkins
Perrault Thompson/Gus/ Harkins/Apple

I think Ves should get 1st crack at top 6 if one of those guys get injured. Unless it's centre. Then I'd love to see
Ehlers/KFC Harkins Wheeler/Laine. I think Harkins has the best chance of being a tweener. Unless they move Wheeler to centre then ves as winger.
Unless the injury is very early on in camp or something than Perfetti should stay as one of the top 2 centres.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It’s a bit of a log jam

Bottom Six:
1. Copp
2. Lowry
3. Roslovic
4. Harkins
5. Perreault
6. Appleton

I agree, but I think Thompson has a better than 75% chance at 4C.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Nice article about Vesalainen in the WFP today (paywall - Vesalainen not fooling around). Basic messages:
  • KV is focused on playing a style that will be successful in the NHL,
  • knows that he needs to earn a spot on a roster deep with wing talent,
  • has been working very hard in the off-season
  • really liked Vincent as a coach, and appreciated how he communicated with KV

Really good on Vincent. Love having a coach like that working with the young guys on the Moose.

Yep. I've posted a few times about the excellent mentorship that PV provides to the kids and his thoughts on KV -- plenty of positive signs there even through the darkest Kristian Bustaleinen days.

I have a lot of respect for Vincent and the work he does, especially given the difficulty of coaching a turnstile using systems that are not his own and don't necessarily reflect the team he has. I hope he sticks around, and gets some consideration for the Jets HC job when (and if) that opens up.

Reactions: KingBogo and hn777

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Nice article about Vesalainen in the WFP today (paywall - Vesalainen not fooling around). Basic messages:

Glad to see that the light bulb has appeared to go off in Ves. Hes got the skill and size we need and if he bow has that drive and work ethic I see a valuable add to this roster.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Glad to see that the light bulb has appeared to go off in Ves. Hes got the skill and size we need and if he bow has that drive and work ethic I see a valuable add to this roster.
Especially if he can be the gritty mean guy that our top 6 badly needs.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Especially if he can be the gritty mean guy that our top 6 badly needs.

He def has the size and wheels, and reputedly bit of a mean streak, but I haven't seen much of that in his games for the Moose. One thing he has definitely worked on is his cycle and puck protection skills -- his ability to hold up and then just explode out of the corners with the puck and release quickly is pretty amazing, like a revved-up KC on Hulk-juice, or an emergent Armia plus top-end shot.

It's a skill-set we don't have in spades, and a real asset to a revamped PP.

Reactions: hn777 and surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He def has the size and wheels, and reputedly bit of a mean streak, but I haven't seen much of that in his games for the Moose. One thing he has definitely worked on is his cycle and puck protection skills -- his ability to hold up and then just explode out of the corners with the puck and release quickly is pretty amazing, like a revved-up KC on Hulk-juice, or an emergent Armia plus top-end shot.

It's a skill-set we don't have in spades, and a real asset to a revamped PP.

He doesn't need throw his body around. It's the ability to hold up the puck and shield it that you mentioned that we need more of.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
He doesn't need throw his body around. It's the ability to hold up the puck and shield it that you mentioned that we need more of.
I would disagree and think physicality and better defense is where our top 6 suffer. I want a top 6 player who is mean and players have to be wary when he is on the ice. Like a Tkachuk.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Having guys like KV, Gus, and Harkins seemingly ready for a bottom 6 role, there really is a log jam now.

I wonder what our lineup would look like now if Konecny was still available and selected by Jets instead of Roslovic. His price point would have necessitated a move of a higher priced player or two by now.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Boy you like hearing that about a coach don’t you? Really Glad The light bulb has gone off for KVes.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Looks like Nikkanen's stock is rising as a prospect this season. He's playing a top-2 C role in Liiga play and is a possibility for Team Finland in the World Juniors. He's probably still a longshot for the NHL, but he might have a chance.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I’m afraid you’re going to be proven correct. Knowing Maurice, even Dave Lowry has a 25% chance at seeing time on the 4th line...
Assuming Roslovic signs and we are healthy for Thompson to play he would need to dress above either Copp, Lowry, MP, Roslovic, Harkins or Appleton. I don't see this happening, though the chances of being completely healthy is unlikely so I do see him as the 13th or 14th PB forward but still getting a fair amount of games. The truth is you need the Nate Thompson's of the world to play this role as you don't want to have to do it with one of your young developing players.

Reactions: mazmin

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Looks like Nikkanen's stock is rising as a prospect this season. He's playing a top-2 C role in Liiga play and is a possibility for Team Finland in the World Juniors. He's probably still a longshot for the NHL, but he might have a chance.
I seem to remember some saying he was actually projected as a first rounder and had an injury that prevented him from finishing out his draft season(or a large part of it)

has the size and frame. I think he has potential for sure.

Reactions: hn777 and mazmin

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg

You can’t go wrong with size and skill in the 4th round! His team in Liiga is pretty bad, so here’s to hoping he gets a full season in the WHL with the Ice before going pro.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I’m afraid you’re going to be proven correct. Knowing Maurice, even Dave Lowry has a 25% chance at seeing time on the 4th line...

:laugh: Maurice does love him his Lowrys.

Copp and Lowry are not going to be broken up. Just not happening. That leaves Thompson as the most likely 4C.

Reactions: Bigfish and mazmin

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

Hey, as long as he passes the beep test in training camp, I'm fine with that. In fact, maybe all coaches should have to perform the beep test along with the players. None of this do as I say, not as I do nonsense. Let them lead by example. Especially Maurice. You don't want to see him coughing and wheezing on the bench after an extended haranguing of the on-ice officials. :laugh:

Reactions: mazmin

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
And who then sits in the PB? Harkins or Appleton?
Perreault, if he doesn't produce and is pharting around getting bad penalties again. Expensive " popcorn seat filler" but...better off letting Harkins and Appleton play, grow their games. PB and spot duty minimum will only stymie their progression.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad