Jets Prospects 2018-2019 Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I would have liked Cederholm signed too.

Are you sure you mean Cederholm?

What about Valatti?
The signing period was extended. I think to June 30. So it is not over. But Cederholm is not even an AHL player. He has spent the last 2 years in the ECHL.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Are you sure you mean Cederholm?

What about Valatti?
The signing period was extended. I think to June 30. So it is not over. But Cederholm is not even an AHL player. He has spent the last 2 years in the ECHL.
Was it extended? Insider Trading discussed the possibility last week but I never saw confirmation. Jets media all treated June 1 at 4pm as the signinc deadline.

Last edited:

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
There are a lot of possibilities but I think most of those are gone.
Keep Brossoit (maybe), Beaulieu, DeMelo, Sbisa. Some of the others will get Moose contracts. If we don't keep Brossoit, we need to sign another backup. So count 1 contract either way.

Chisholm is the only unsigned prospect we need to add. Vallati is a maybe.
Aha. No worries. Chisholm is signed!! Try for Vallatinbut ha has another year right?

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Vallati was not signed .... and will eligible to be drafted again by another team. I do not see another team drafting or signing him for free after he is not drafted

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Chisholm is a good signing that I wanted to get done.

He reminds a lot ..... I believe him to be in same mould as Paul Postma. Postma was a late draft pick (7 Th round) who got a lot of points in the Whl in his draft plus 2 season. He had 80ish points in 70 games. He was also was tall with a light frame not overly physical.

Chisholm matching Postma’s stats would be a win.... Chisholm progressing past them to a bigger role would be great.

It all depends on how he handles the transition to a mans game over Junior hockey and if he can figure it out. If he can put in the right amount of effort dedication and fortitude to keep improving. Chairot is a good example...... He started off as a Dogs breakfast in the AHL and then all of a sudden it’s like a light switch turned on and he started to continue improving.

Our D prospects that are regressing/ standing still are Stanley and Green from the 2016 draft.....

D prospects that are improving /Starting to get it are Kovecevic / Gawanke /Heinola ...

Entering the process stage left are Sam...Berg and Chisholm.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

He reminds a lot ..... I believe him to be in same mould as Paul Postma. Postma was a late draft pick (7 Th round) who got a lot of points in the Whl in his draft plus 2 season. He had 80ish points in 70 games. He was also was tall with a light frame not overly physical.

Chisholm matching Postma’s stats would be a win.... Chisholm progressing past them to a bigger role would be great.

It all depends on how he handles the transition to a mans game over Junior hockey and if he can figure it out. If he can put in the right amount of effort dedication and fortitude to keep improving. Chairot is a good example...... He started off as a Dogs breakfast in the AHL and then all of a sudden it’s like a light switch turned on and he started to continue improving.

Our D prospects that are regressing/ standing still are Stanley and Green from the 2016 draft.....

D prospects that are improving /Starting to get it are Kovecevic / Gawanke /Heinola ...

Comparing him to Postma is damning with faint praise IMO. His offensive skills never materialized at the NHL level. Of course, there is always the caveat that it could have been bad coaching. :nod:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Aha. No worries. Chisholm is signed!! Try for Vallatinbut ha has another year right?

No, Valatti needs to be signed or he goes back into the draft this year. I think the deadline was extended to the end of June, but I'm not certain. I remember seeing it announced, but I can't find it anywhere. He is the only 1 in that position with Jets.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I didn't mind Valatti but the Jets have an awful lot of dmen that need AHL time to develop. I can see why they would elect to keep slots and resources for the ones that they deem have higher upside.

Valatti had a poor D+2 season. I hoped it was because he was given a shut down role, but I don't know about that. If there was no good explanation for the drop off, he didn't look like a strong prospect anymore.

Good point about the number of prospects they need ice time for. Does that say anything about their projections for Samberg and Heinola? Both expected to play in the AHL maybe?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I don't like the comparison to Postma because I have high hopes for Chisholm - but it looks valid, at least on the surface.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Valatti had a poor D+2 season. I hoped it was because he was given a shut down role, but I don't know about that. If there was no good explanation for the drop off, he didn't look like a strong prospect anymore.

Good point about the number of prospects they need ice time for. Does that say anything about their projections for Samberg and Heinola? Both expected to play in the AHL maybe?

I expect the team will have one open spot on for one of the two. The other will be in the AHL.

In the AHL they will need spots on the left for Stanley, Chisholm, Heinola/Samberg and on the right for Kovacevik, Gawke and possibly Green if finally healthy. Add in some vets to help the kids out and there isn't much room.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Chariot vs Postma is a good tale on opportunity vs limited opportunity.

Chariot got chance after chance after chance because he had big frame and was mean. His play for most of his tenure here was awful but because Maurice has a blind spot for big mean dmen he got more rope then he should have.

Meanwhile Postma was never given much of a shot due to not playing the type of game Maurice wants on the bottom pairing (See Niku for latest example) unlike Niku Postma had pretty good underlying numbers and was actually a plus bottom pairing dmen here. Maurice didn't value his game so he didn't play much and his development stalled.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Chiarot was getting first pairing time on the Habs from a coach that a lot fans wanted to be the Jets' coach...just saying.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Chiarot was getting first pairing time on the Habs from a coach that a lot fans wanted to be the Jets' coach...just saying.
If Chiarot was getting 1st pair usage on the Jets this board would have melted down, amidst a firestorm of #freeNiku posts.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If Chiarot was getting 1st pair usage on the Jets this board would have melted down, amidst a firestorm of #freeNiku posts.
That is my point....a coach some wanted Chevy to go after played Chiarot on the 1st pairing this year.

Reactions: Whileee

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
You missed the point...

What point would that be, another NHL GM known for going after big physical dmen went for Chariot and played him in an inappropriate role, colour me shocked. Colour me shocked that the habs performed poorly again.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
What point would that be, another NHL GM known for going after big physical dmen went for Chariot and played him in an inappropriate role, colour me shocked. Colour me shocked that the habs performed poorly again.
See post 719.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Chariot vs Postma is a good tale on opportunity vs limited opportunity.

Chariot got chance after chance after chance because he had big frame and was mean. His play for most of his tenure here was awful but because Maurice has a blind spot for big mean dmen he got more rope then he should have.

Meanwhile Postma was never given much of a shot due to not playing the type of game Maurice wants on the bottom pairing (See Niku for latest example) unlike Niku Postma had pretty good underlying numbers and was actually a plus bottom pairing dmen here. Maurice didn't value his game so he didn't play much and his development stalled.

Postma never managed to impress any other team either. You can blame that on stunted development. Or you can blame Postma for not doing enough. Maybe it is both. We'll never know what might have been.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Postma never managed to impress any other team either. You can blame that on stunted development. Or you can blame Postma for not doing enough. Maybe it is both. We'll never know what might have been.

I dunno. Postma averaged over a 50% CF and 50% xgf over the 4 years he played a decent games here. His scoring rates weren't bad either, to me it seems like more of a blind spot of many in the league towards his game style then his actual on ice results which were strong for his role.

Given the change towards puck moving dmen over he last few years he may have carved out a bigger role in the league had he come a few years later.

Reactions: Mud Turtle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad