Jets Prospects 2018-2019 Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Need to make allowance for it being a highlight reel, but Smith shows a good wrister, good vision and good passing. Seems to have a knack for finding the man in scoring position.

This kid has great vision.
He’s always been one of my favourite dark horses. Hope he lights it up next year.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yup he definitely has some talent. I'm not sure why it doesnt translate into more point production.

I think that what we tend to see as inconsistency is just the natural variance of creative players. They can't make those plays if the opportunity doesn't arise. So it is always going to appear inconsistent as they score in bunches and then go dry. So he is probably producing at about the right rate in a larger sample.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Which prospects do we need to sign before we lose them this July 1?

Just Declan Chisholm and Giovanni Vallati, I think? I also think the signing date is actually June 1st rather than July, I'm not sure if it's something that would get extended due to the current circumstances.

Jacob Cederholm's rights expire, but he's essentially a bust at this point and is already signed to a minor league deal with Jacksonville. He's "in the system" but without an NHL ELC.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Samberg's highlights and a shift by shift.

thanks KillEmAll83

As advertised he is very sound defensively and seems to be really comfortable in open ice during 1 on 1 situations. Great gap, and really nice stick, good aggressive routes, smooth 4 way skating, and strong body control. He creates allot of turnovers.

His challenge is puck security below the hash marks. He gets bit loose with it and can turn it over under pressure. I think they just need to pair him with a Pionk type eventually and they will compliment each other really well. He is so good at defending which will compliment Neil and Pionk is great at retrieval and that 1st pass.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
thanks KillEmAll83

As advertised he is very sound defensively and seems to be really comfortable in open ice during 1 on 1 situations. Great gap, and really nice stick, good aggressive routes, smooth 4 way skating, and strong body control. He creates allot of turnovers.

His challenge is puck security below the hash marks. He gets bit loose with it and can turn it over under pressure. I think they just need to pair him with a Pionk type eventually and they will compliment each other really well. He is so good at defending which will compliment Neil and Pionk is great at retrieval and that 1st pass.
I think the only area that needs some work is tightening up his puck handling. He is terrific without the puck, and makes quick crisp passes. As you note, he's a very good complement to Pionk and other D because he is such a big and effective defender. He's also quite solid in the offensive zone, making good, crisp passes.

Reactions: ps241

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think the only area that needs some work is tightening up his puck handling. He is terrific without the puck, and makes quick crisp passes. As you note, he's a very good complement to Pionk and other D because he is such a big and effective defender. He's also quite solid in the offensive zone, making good, crisp passes.

Yea that puck handling “consistency” around his net needs work. The rest looks really solid.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Samberg's highlights and a shift by shift.

Thanks for the videos.

To echo the other comments there is a lot to like in his game.

Pros:

He is very sound without the puck, good positioning, good anticipation and great gap.
He is a very good all around skater and can rush the puck out of trouble if he has some time and space
Good first pass out of his end and is also solid at moving the puck in the nz

Cons:

He doesn't have particularly great puck skills (Something I have noticed at other events as well)
Plays it very safe offensively and doesn't show strong offensive instincts

I think people are bang on in that he looks to be a good defensive foil to an offensive puck moving dmen. In fact he reminds me a decent amount of DeMelo in his strengths and how he plays the game. I don't see much in the way of offensive upside but he should be a very nice addition to the team. Maybe the defensive version of Lowry if he develops well in the NHL.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Thanks for the videos.

To echo the other comments there is a lot to like in his game.

Pros:

He is very sound without the puck, good positioning, good anticipation and great gap.
He is a very good all around skater and can rush the puck out of trouble if he has some time and space
Good first pass out of his end and is also solid at moving the puck in the nz

Cons:

He doesn't have particularly great puck skills (Something I have noticed at other events as well)
Plays it very safe offensively and doesn't show strong offensive instincts

I think people are bang on in that he looks to be a good defensive foil to an offensive puck moving dmen. In fact he reminds me a decent amount of DeMelo in his strengths and how he plays the game. I don't see much in the way of offensive upside but he should be a very nice addition to the team. Maybe the defensive version of Lowry if he develops well in the NHL.

I also like that he has spent 3 years in an excellent defensive development program at UMD playing against 20 something's in the top division in the NCAA. His reads, positioning, and fundamentals are excellent. You can tell he has been well coached.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Shift by shift from his second last game of the season. They beat up on UAA a little bit but the score was fairly close until the end of the 2nd.

Well I have to say I liked a lot of what I saw from Smith in this game. He is fairly sound positionally and has pretty good instincts. I like his combination of size\hands and skating and how he uses them down low to shield the puck and cycles. He has the speed and hands to be a good transition player but I found he tended to over think some of his zone entries a bit. Another year or two of NCAA refinement and I expect to see improvements there. He will also need to work on his shot a bit if he is to beat NHL goalies with any regularity.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Couple more:

Chisholm was pretty high event this game. He shows very good offensive instincts and is a good passer in the offensive zone.

He however needs a decent amount of refinement in his own end. He tends to take himself out of defensive position looking for a quick break up the ice. He also isn't an amazing one on one defender, can be dummied and gotten around. I also have to say that his first pass was very hit and miss. He is going to need to simplify his defensive game and really work at it for this organization.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Chisholm was pretty high event this game. He shows very good offensive instincts and is a good passer in the offensive zone.

He however needs a decent amount of refinement in his own end. He tends to take himself out of defensive position looking for a quick break up the ice. He also isn't an amazing one on one defender, can be dummied and gotten around. I also have to say that his first pass was very hit and miss. He is going to need to simplify his defensive game and really work at it for this organization.
Any chance he replaces Pionk in a few years?
Mo Heinola/Demelo.
Sam chis
Xx poolman or someone cheaper

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Way too soon to say. We will need to see how he adapts to the pro game over the next couple of seasons.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I wonder if the Jets will soon sign Chisholm (and Valatti). Otherwise, both go back into the draft...

Reactions: snowkiddin

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
https://illegalcurve.com/winnipeg-jets-have-three-draft-picks-to-sign-before-june-1st-2020-deadline/

While many calendar dates this off-season are still up in the air, the ‘Must Sign By’ date of June 1st for certain drafted players is still in effect.

For the Winnipeg Jets this list include three players being:

Jacob Cederholm (2014 4th round)
Declan Chisholm (2018 5th round)
Giovanni Vallati (2018 5th round)

I doubt we sign Cederholm. Not sure about Vallati. His production fell off pretty sharply in D+2. Generally don't like to see that but there may be an explanation. Maybe he was used in a more defensive role. His lack of offense says to me that he would need to show very good defensive play to earn a contract.

I think signing Chisholm is pretty important. Him choosing to go back into the draft would be very disappointing (I assume he has been offered a contract :laugh:).

None

Feb 22, 2012

Relevant for the Jets draft picks that would re-enter the draft otherwise, but they obviously won't be playing in the play-ins/playoffs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad