Jets Prospects 2018-2019 Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Maybe it is possible bonuses that is holding things up. Chevy has to be careful with the easily attainable bonuses.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Maybe it is possible bonuses that is holding things up. Chevy has to be careful with the easily attainable bonuses.
Probably.

Also, a player like Chisholm might want more than you would normally pay to a 5th round pick. Vallati was picked just 3 spots after Chisholm, but hasn't had nearly the junior production that Chisholm has had.

Chevy tends to grind all of his negotiations, and very often uses deadlines to force final agreements.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Probably.

Also, a player like Chisholm might want more than you would normally pay to a 5th round pick. Vallati was picked just 3 spots after Chisholm, but hasn't had nearly the junior production that Chisholm has had.

Chevy tends to grind all of his negotiations, and very often uses deadlines to force final agreements.

With Villati I can see Chevy forcing his hand but there would be tons of interest in Chisholm and would definitely be drafted again and I’m sure Declan knows that. I think he will be an NHL player (5/6 guy) and Chevy should sign him, even if there is a modest bonus attached.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
With Villati I can see Chevy forcing his hand but there would be tons of interest in Chisholm and would definitely be drafted again and I’m sure Declan knows that. I think he will be an NHL player (5/6 guy) and Chevy should sign him, even if there is a modest bonus attached.
Chisholm might look at the Jets' depth chart (Morrissey, Samberg, Heinola, Niku) and decide another franchise will offer better options. What's the downside for Chisholm to going back into the draft?

Reactions: hn777

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Chisholm might look at the Jets' depth chart (Morrissey, Samberg, Heinola, Niku) and decide another franchise will offer better options. What's the downside for Chisholm to going back into the draft?

Absolutely none unless we picked him again lol. Never thought of that side of it but would hope that if he didn’t want to play here because of the logjam, I would like to see Chevy try and get an asset for him before the deadline. He would definitely get more than his own original draft position in return I would think.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
He must think he can beast out Niku.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Yeah I noticed that in the Canada Russian series games. It's something he will likely be an are of focus for him on the Moose next year.

He's still young and very "green" in international play, representing your country's flag 1st time on big stage. As he matures to " next levels" he should be fine.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
Ok how many won't be re-signed...any idea?
Maybe half?

I don't think all of Kulikov, Beaulieu, Sbisa, DeMelo and Bitetto will be back, maybe two of them. Eakin, Shore, Chibisov and Brossoit could go either way. Griffith, Shaw, Schilling Lipon are all Moose guys, so could get another deal, could get an AHL deal, or could move on. Letestu and Bourque are probably gone.

upload_2020-5-29_10-50-39.png

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Maybe half?

I don't think all of Kulikov, Beaulieu, Sbisa, DeMelo and Bitetto will be back, maybe two of them. Eakin, Shore, Chibisov and Brossoit could go either way. Griffith, Shaw, Schilling Lipon are all Moose guys, so could get another deal, could get an AHL deal, or could move on. Letestu and Bourque are probably gone.

View attachment 348125
As long as Demelo is one resigned.

Reactions: Heldig

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Maybe half?

View attachment 348125

There are a lot of possibilities but I think most of those are gone.
Keep Brossoit (maybe), Beaulieu, DeMelo, Sbisa. Some of the others will get Moose contracts. If we don't keep Brossoit, we need to sign another backup. So count 1 contract either way.

Chisholm is the only unsigned prospect we need to add. Vallati is a maybe.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
There are a lot of possibilities but I think most of those are gone.
Keep Brossoit (maybe), Beaulieu, DeMelo, Sbisa. Some of the others will get Moose contracts. If we don't keep Brossoit, we need to sign another backup. So count 1 contract either way.

Chisholm is the only unsigned prospect we need to add. Vallati is a maybe.
Exactly. Plenty of room, the contract limit is not in any way a factor in signing Chisholm or Vallati.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Thanks for the videos.

To echo the other comments there is a lot to like in his game.

Pros:

He is very sound without the puck, good positioning, good anticipation and great gap.
He is a very good all around skater and can rush the puck out of trouble if he has some time and space
Good first pass out of his end and is also solid at moving the puck in the nz

Cons:

He doesn't have particularly great puck skills (Something I have noticed at other events as well)
Plays it very safe offensively and doesn't show strong offensive instincts

I think people are bang on in that he looks to be a good defensive foil to an offensive puck moving dmen. In fact he reminds me a decent amount of DeMelo in his strengths and how he plays the game. I don't see much in the way of offensive upside but he should be a very nice addition to the team. Maybe the defensive version of Lowry if he develops well in the NHL.

Just what the Jets need. A developing draft pick of this regard and talents. Just hope many fans do not expect too much offensively on the stats sheet for a while, until he evolves and adjusts to the NHL level, caliber. He has had excellent offense finish and skills at high school level. University hockey experience and coaching taught him to concentrate and develop strong defensive instincts and habits first, as a defenseman, and grow these strengths. The offense will come for the whole team, if your defenders defend first and foremost, and learn toquicklystart plays back the other way from your own end, from neutral zone and in the offensive zone. Jets fans and team should be thrilled to have Dylan Samburg vying his most prominent skills as a strong defender and puck-mover to teammates to take control of games. He showed this consistently, more successfully each season in Duluth.
I read other articles (U.S sports writers) regarding recent U.S.. draft picks and their assessments. Many were not so "hum" on D.S. because of his mediocre points stats. A few who are in the "know" sang his praisesfor being strong, solid, fluid, very steady and determined to defend his team's zone, with strong vision, passing and a decent shot for helping offensively. He did not try to do too much all over the ice on his own and ultimately did not get burned more often than not.
'Old school here'but he reminds of a young Niklas Lidstrom in Detroit! Not a bad mentor and realistic, very positive hope for this young man to help Jets evolve and solidify their future growth.
Just tamper the expectations of "a huge difference maker" and 60+ point-man too early on. We can demand this ( with positive wishing) from Josh Morrissey by now. Go Jets Go!
With Morrissey, Niku, Heinola, Chisholm, Samburg and even Stanley still, there is possible hope for strong defensive future. And forgot about Leon Gawanke!! A possible next Leon the Great on defense, like Leon the Great forward on Edmonton!!??

Last edited:

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Wasted draft pick you lose any rights to, control or negotiating power.
Thrown away so to speak or lost anyways. Not necessarily GM's fault (unless he refused to negotiate fair and devalued a potential prospect to a point of pissing them off and refusing to sign because of this).
Realistically, another team could draft Chisholm and he turns into solid top-4 D on a division rival!

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Wasted draft pick you lose any rights to, control or negotiating power.
Thrown away so to speak or lost anyways. Not necessarily GM's fault (unless he refused to negotiate fair and devalued a potential prospect to a point of pissing them off and refusing to sign because of this).
Realistically, another team could draft Chisholm and he turns into solid top-4 D on a division rival!
Chisholm does remind of many of Duncan Keith's style, skill-set, actions on the ice. He could evolve into a similar level player? Never know until proven over time in the "show". Get him signedChevy, please.
At this point,I would almost rather see Chevy try to package Logan Stanley in a deal to get another top Center and put hopes into Chisholm developing further, sooner, that is if Chisholm gets signed. Lots of time left if counting by the minutes.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Just what the Jets need. A developing draft pick of this regard and talents. Just hope many fans do not expect too much offensively on the stats sheet for a while, until he evolves and adjusts to the NHL level, caliber. He has had excellent offense finish and skills at high school level. University hockey experience and coaching taught him to concentrate and develop strong defensive instincts and habits first, as a defenseman, and grow these strengths. The offense will come for the whole team, if your defenders defend first and foremost, and learn toquicklystart plays back the other way from your own end, from neutral zone and in the offensive zone. Jets fans and team should be thrilled to have Dylan Samburg vying his most prominent skills as a strong defender and puck-mover to teammates to take control of games. He showed this consistently, more successfully each season in Duluth.
I read other articles (U.S sports writers) regarding recent U.S.. draft picks and their assessments. Many were not so "hum" on D.S. because of his mediocre points stats. A few who are in the "know" sang his praisesfor being strong, solid, fluid, very steady and determined to defend his team's zone, with strong vision, passing and a decent shot for helping offensively. He did not try to do too much all over the ice on his own and ultimately did not get burned more often than not.
'Old school here'but he reminds of a young Niklas Lidstrom in Detroit! Not a bad mentor and realistic, very positive hope for this young man to help Jets evolve and solidify their future growth.
Just tamper the expectations of "a huge difference maker" and 60+ point-man too early on. We can demand this ( with positive wishing) from Josh Morrissey by now. Go Jets Go!
With Morrissey, Niku, Heinola, Chisholm, Samburg and even Stanley still, there is possible hope for strong defensive future. And forgot about Leon Gawanke!! A possible next Leon the Great on defense, like Leon the Great forward on Edmonton!!??

I think Stanley now rates higher than Niku, JMO. You didn't mention a single RHS. On the right we have Kovacevic, Gawanke and Lundmark. Gawanke is promising Kovacevic has a chance and Lundmark could still turn out to be a good one. Correction, I see you got to Gawanke. :laugh:

Peter Tagli Eddie

All 3 of them?
Apr 14, 2009

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Chisholm - nice signing. They were probably haggling over signing and performance bonuses, considering he was a 5th round pick with a good D+1 and D+2 performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad