Jets Prospects 2018-2019 Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
If a D-man can’t produce in the CHL by their D+2 season it probably means they lack puck skills. At the NHL level they won’t be able to make the plays required to get out of their own zone or get the puck to skilled players in the offensive zone. This means that not producing in D+2 usually means they are never going to be a regular NHL player. Producing in your D+2 year doesn’t mean they will be NHL players however, as this is a minimum skill requirement not a sufficient basis for becoming an NHL player. Scoring may not mean as much for D-men in better leagues than the CHL.

Wrt Chisholm, it’s worth remembering that he was also having a very productive D+1 year until they traded for Merkly and Chisholm’s role changed. Good production in D+1 and D+2 can mean more than just having a good D+2.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I'm guessing that usage is playing a part in that, but I don't know. Does anyone here look at Oshawa Generals?

They're one of the teams I used to pay attention to but haven't seen much of them this year. In terms of usage looks like he's still being depended on across situations but definitely a downtick in points, though he's still middle of the pack on the team -- think he was 6th last year and something like 10th or 11th this year after 60 or so games, and my friend in NM who is a longtime OG fan says he's still the best defender on the team by some distance.

The Gs are having a good season, but maybe not scoring as much? They were solidly mid-table in offensive production when I last saw them play last year, and not sure that's changed or will change under Walters. GV's goal-scoring has definitely plummeted.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
They're one of the teams I used to pay attention to but haven't seen much of them this year. In terms of usage looks like he's still being depended on across situations but definitely a downtick in points, though he's still middle of the pack on the team -- think he was 6th last year and something like 10th or 11th this year after 60 or so games, and my friend in NM who is a longtime OG fan says he's still the best defender on the team by some distance.

The Gs are having a good season, but maybe not scoring as much? They were solidly mid-table in offensive production when I last saw them play last year, and not sure that's changed or will change under Walters. GV's goal-scoring has definitely plummeted.

Yeah, his numbers are way down but I think the team's numbers are too. We should see him in the A next year. See how he does.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Pretty sure that was his first game back from injury too.

Nikkanen scores on a penalty shot in a 7-4 loss in game 1 of the playoffs for his U20 team.

Yeah, he was day-to-day after banging into Gross (?) on Friday, so maybe it was a charley horse or a groin tweak. Good to see him back and in dominant form. Gotta be close to top 2 or 3 in the league now for D-men, and really liking his chances to make the show after this season, especially given his all-round game and work ethic and think Vincent and his team are a great match for him in terms of development going forward.

EDIT: Nice recent-ish update on DC's prospect profile from THN:

Declan Chisholm, D (Winnipeg, fifth round, 150th overall in 2018)
Chisholm is definitely taking a shot at the OHL’s top defenseman award this season, and it’s easy to see why. Sitting third in scoring among defensemen (only Noel Hoefenmayer, 74, and Ryan Merkley, 69, have more points), Chisholm has exploded with 61 points in 55 games in his fourth year in the OHL and was a member of Canada’s Super Series team against Russia back in November. Chisholm was highly regarded as an OHL prospect years ago but injuries slowed down the start of his career. With Winnipeg needing to build a strong defensive pipeline, Chisholm’s contract status is about to get interesting.

Future Watch: 10 CHL players looking for contracts with their NHL clubs - TheHockeyNews

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Yeah, he was day-to-day after banging into Gross (?) on Friday, so maybe it was a charley horse or a groin tweak. Good to see him back and in dominant form. Gotta be close to top 2 or 3 in the league now for D-men, and really liking his chances to make the show after this season, especially given his all-round game and work ethic and think Vincent and his team are a great match for him in terms of development going forward.

Chisholm is definitely taking a shot at the OHL’s top defenseman award this season, and it’s easy to see why. Sitting third in scoring among defensemen (only Noel Hoefenmayer, 74, and Ryan Merkley, 69, have more points), Chisholm has exploded with 61 points in 55 games in his fourth year in the OHL and was a member of Canada’s Super Series team against Russia back in November. Chisholm was highly regarded as an OHL prospect years ago but injuries slowed down the start of his career. With Winnipeg needing to build a strong defensive pipeline, Chisholm’s contract status is about to get interesting.

Future Watch: 10 CHL players looking for contracts with their NHL clubs - TheHockeyNews

WTF does that mean? Is he hinting the Jets might have trouble signing him?

Reactions: probablywrongbut

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
WTF does that mean? Is he hinting the Jets might have trouble signing him?

I think he might be hinting at a max contract maybe? The Jets own his rights even if he refuses to sign, unless they lapse them, so he has no leverage to go elsewhere. Only thing that might get interesting is how much he signs for. I'm guessing he will want max, especially if he wins OHL's Dman of the year. Either way he will likely get at least 900k. I think Samberg will likely get max as well, which is 925k right now.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I think he might be hinting at a max contract maybe? The Jets own his rights even if he refuses to sign, unless they lapse them, so he has no leverage to go elsewhere. Only thing that might get interesting is how much he signs for. I'm guessing he will want max, especially if he wins OHL's Dman of the year. Either way he will likely get at least 900k. I think Samberg will likely get max as well, which is 925k right now.

I thought this might be a situation like Brendan Kichton, where if we don't get him signed to an ELC this year he would go back into the draft.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015

For context, Some of the Past ohl dman of the year. Many of them weren't D+2.

2018-19: Evan Bouchard (London Knights)
2017-18: Nicolas Hague (Mississauga)
2016-17: Darren Raddysh (Erie)
2015-16: Mikhail Sergachev (Windsor)
2014-15: Anthony DeAngelo (Sault Ste. Marie)
2013-14: Aaron Ekblad (Barrie)
2012-13: Ryan Sproul (Sault Ste. Marie)
2011-12: Dougie Hamilton (Niagara)
2010-11: Ryan Ellis (Windsor)
2009-10: Jacob Muzzin (Sault Ste. Marie)
2008-09: Ryan Ellis (Windsor)
2007-08: Drew Doughty (Guelph)
2006-07: Marc Staal (Sudbury)
2005-06: Andrej Sekera (Owen Sound)
2004-05: Danny Syvret (London)
2003-04: James Wisniewski (Plymouth)
2002-03: Brendan Bell (Ottawa)
2001-02: Erik Reitz (Barrie)
2000-01: Alexei Semenov (Sudbury)

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
For context, Some of the Past ohl dman of the year. Many of them weren't D+2.

2018-19: Evan Bouchard (London Knights)
2017-18: Nicolas Hague (Mississauga)
2016-17: Darren Raddysh (Erie)
2015-16: Mikhail Sergachev (Windsor)
2014-15: Anthony DeAngelo (Sault Ste. Marie)
2013-14: Aaron Ekblad (Barrie)
2012-13: Ryan Sproul (Sault Ste. Marie)
2011-12: Dougie Hamilton (Niagara)
2010-11: Ryan Ellis (Windsor)
2009-10: Jacob Muzzin (Sault Ste. Marie)
2008-09: Ryan Ellis (Windsor)
2007-08: Drew Doughty (Guelph)
2006-07: Marc Staal (Sudbury)
2005-06: Andrej Sekera (Owen Sound)
2004-05: Danny Syvret (London)
2003-04: James Wisniewski (Plymouth)
2002-03: Brendan Bell (Ottawa)
2001-02: Erik Reitz (Barrie)
2000-01: Alexei Semenov (Sudbury)
Pretty awesome for a 5th round pick. Gives cred to those who don't want to trade 3rd rounders or later because you never know what you got.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Nikkanen - Second game of the playoffs, down 1-0 going into the third, scores shorthanded to tie it then again to go ahead 2-1, ended up winning 4-1.

Great to see him starting to put it together in a big way. He was one of the prospects that most stood out to me at the camp. Strong skater with good hands and shot and a Heinola-like propensity for being in the right place at the right time. Can see him developing into a Gus Plus with extra offence.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Apparently this 18 year old kid is 6 ' 4" 203 lbs and plays center.
Just gonna go make myself a martini and let my imagination run wild for a bit.
I think we have a good one here, great value for a 4th round pick in any case. Was projected as high as a first round pick but fell due to injuries last year. Kid has a lot of good tools and while he isn't in the men's league putting up big numbers like some higher draft picks his numbers in the U20 league are solid. He played as high as the 2nd line C in Liiga this season, so Jukurit seems to see promise there too.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Great to see him starting to put it togethin ea big way. He was one of the prospects that most stood out to me at the camp. Strong skater with good hands and shot and a Heinola-like propensity for being in the right place at the right time. Can see him developing into a Gus Plus with extra offence.
One of my favourite prospects.

Reactions: Upperdeckjet

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Great to see him starting to put it together in a big way. He was one of the prospects that most stood out to me at the camp. Strong skater with good hands and shot and a Heinola-like propensity for being in the right place at the right time we. Can see him developing into a Gus Plus with extra offence.

Delete

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
I think we have a good one here, great value for a 4th round pick in any case. Was projected as high as a first round pick but fell due to injuries last year. Kid has a lot of good tools and while he isn't in the men's league putting up big numbers like some higher draft picks his numbers in the U20 league are solid. He played as high as the 2nd line C in Liiga this season, so Jukurit seems to see promise there too.
Seems pretty lanky in the photos of the Finnish papers I've been googling. Maybe another year of his mothers cooking and he fills out a bit more. The injury history is a little concerning, but yeah, I do like this pick as well.

Reactions: Atoyot

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Would seem the coaches were impressed with Wong's 1G1A performance last night as he's been moved to the top line with Jack Drury.

Blaisdell has 1A
Samberg 4A
Smith 1G
Chisholm 1G
Wong 1A

Edited for update

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad