Line Combos: Jets Projected line up next season

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
That's very well on the realms of possibility. I just did dig into our regular TOP-6 forwards 5-on-5 GF, GA & goal differential stats for last 4 seasons and if Laine & Connor can stay out of their 18-19 form, things could look pretty nice for Connor-Scheifele-Laine, but I would sleep my nights much better with Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine as those 3 guys are leading the Jets top forwards in terms of 5-on-5 goal differential last 4 seasons:

View attachment 373418

Their bad 18-19 season omitted, things look pretty nice:

View attachment 373419

No empty netter situations included, just pure real 5-on-5 performance, regular season and playoffs.

Connor is btw. the only TOP-6 regular with negative goal differential, 5-on-5.

I did not include Stastny as he had only one half season as a Jet so far, but he did very well on his short stint here.

Thanks

Yes and we need to look at the highs and low.
And assess why does spikes up or down happened other than the advance stats.

Reactions: Halberdier

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
What are the chances if the chances that both Samberg and Heinola start off the team? How long do you think the pre-season will be?
Samberg will probably start with the team.
Heinola skills wise is probably better already than mosy Jets dman. And better at transition plays to the forward. Which the team sorely lacks. But it his physical ability that might be the factor. But if he can elude players and not get hammered each time.
He should , for me should make the team.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Samberg will probably start with the team.
Heinola skills wise is probably better already than mosy Jets dman. And better at transition plays to the forward. Which the team sorely lacks. But it his physical ability that might be the factor. But if he can elude players and not get hammered each time.
He should , for me should make the team.
Whatever's best for Heinola's development. If being on the 3rd pairing will slow him down vs 1st pairing all situations in a lower league, they gotta do what is right for him as they have a gem on their hands.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Whatever's best for Heinola's development. If being on the 3rd pairing will slow him down vs 1st pairing all situations in a lower league, they gotta do what is right for him as they have a gem on their hands.
My personal thought is the Jets won't want to disrupt what is shaping up to being a very nice developmental year for Heinola. He has had a really nice start to the season and is playing on the the top pair in Liiga. He will be on Finland's WJC team very likely on the top pairing and likely a #1 PP role. The way it looks for the NHL season his Liiga commitment will be over long before the NHL gets close to any type of playoffs so he will be available to the Jets down the stretch and into the playoffs.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
My personal thought is the Jets won't want to disrupt what is shaping up to being a very nice developmental year for Heinola. He has had a really nice start to the season and is playing on the the top pair in Liiga. He will be on Finland's WJC team very likely on the top pairing and likely a #1 PP role. The way it looks for the NHL season his Liiga commitment will be over long before the NHL gets close to any type of playoffs so he will be available to the Jets down the stretch and into the playoffs.
It gives them a chance to break samberg and Heinola in separately. By the time Heinola joins Samberg will be a 40 game vet.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Heinola will be playing world juniors right.

Perfetti will make team Canada right ?

I am not familiar with all the other Cs for Wj Canada

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Heinola will be playing world juniors right.

Perfetti will make team Canada right ?

I am not familiar with all the other Cs for Wj Canada
If available Perfetti and Heinola will be key pieces on their WJC teams. Top line and top d pairings and #1 PP guys. We haven't had these type of prospects available since Scheifele and Trouba were playing in the WJC.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
If available Perfetti and Heinola will be key pieces on their WJC teams. Top line and top d pairings and #1 PP guys. We haven't had these type of prospects available since Scheifele and Trouba were playing in the WJC.

The last time i think we had player for team Canada WJ was Petan right?

He had 1 crazy game during that tournament.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Petan had a great tournament that year, Perfetti will be a 1st line go to player this WJC for Canada which should be a lot of fun to watch.

Reactions: PhilJets

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

It will be different in the bubble. Heinola should be fine tuned, be in season form. Team Canada is going to have some rusty players. I think the Europeans should have a bit of an advantage this year.

Nikkanen should be playing too. I wonder if Lundmark or Torgorssen will play for Sweden.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Click links for images:

Coleman
Gourde
Goodrow

Harkins
Lowry
Roslovic
Copp

To me it seems that Lightning won in part because their 3rd line is just a lot better than the Jets. One of the issues is that Lowry just wasn't very good last season and he's been worse than the previous year 2 seasons in a row. He needs to bounce back if he's going to be 3C.

I'd put Copp Coleman and Gourde in the top tier, while Lowry being potential to bouncing back to that tier. The rest are average or worse (struggle). Harkins is small sample so we have to guess a bit more with him relative the others.

Not out of the realm of possibility (have Lowry bounce back and Harkins improve, but not the highest proability.

What do you think of the idea of playing a winger like Toninato on a line with Lowry-Copp. 3 former captains, 3 centres, on a checking line, and reuniting Harkins-Roslovic-Appleton? Have a lineup where your top 6 plays about 18 minutes per night, and your bottom 6 12 minutes, depending on the penalty variance. After Tampa winning with an 11 forward lineup is there something to be said about coaching on the fly? Is there an analytical/statistical difference between 3 line vs. 4 line hockey?

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles

I know Denmark always sucks at WJC's but is our Dutch boy chopped liver :sarcasm: :laugh: Easiest 1st line TOI he has ever gotten :naughty:

Reactions: Roughneck1

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
What do you think of the idea of playing a winger like Toninato on a line with Lowry-Copp. 3 former captains, 3 centres, on a checking line, and reuniting Harkins-Roslovic-Appleton? Have a lineup where your top 6 plays about 18 minutes per night, and your bottom 6 12 minutes, depending on the penalty variance. After Tampa winning with an 11 forward lineup is there something to be said about coaching on the fly? Is there an analytical/statistical difference between 3 line vs. 4 line hockey?

Why play Toninato over Perrault? I like the HRA line being reunited though...

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Why play Toninato over Perrault? I like the HRA line being reunited though...

I think Perreault is done, and certainly not effective enough to play on a checking line. I would keep Perreault far away from d-zone minutes. Toninato has more Tanev like potential in my opinion, to make it an effective line. I honestly would be good if Perreault started on IR. And played sparingly, all year. I don't think he has a lot left to give, other than experience, and enthusiasm.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I think Perreault is done, and certainly not effective enough to play on a checking line. I would keep Perreault far away from d-zone minutes. Toninato has more Tanev like potential in my opinion, to make it an effective line. I honestly would be good if Perreault started on IR. And played sparingly, all year. I don't think he has a lot left to give, other than experience, and enthusiasm.

Agree for the most part - but $4.3 million cap is a lot for the pressbox... buyout would have opened $3 million in capspace this year

Reactions: Halberdier

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Agree for the most part - but $4.3 million cap is a lot for the pressbox... buyout would have opened $3 million in capspace this year

If he goes on LTIR Jets don't have to pay him at all. And that's better than a buyout.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
If he goes on LTIR Jets don't have to pay him at all. And that's better than a buyout.
Except he's not starting the year on LTIR it seems... so that's still capspace that we could have used for all the players that... umm... don't want to sign here... o_O

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

The only rule is that it has to work. If it works, I'd do it.

The difference between 3 line vs 4 line will be always contextually connected to the talent the roster has.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Except he's not starting the year on LTIR it seems... so that's still capspace that we could have used for all the players that... umm... don't want to sign here... o_O

I think a lot has to do with indecision about how to proceed. For instance if there is a Canadian division, realignment. If there are travel restrictions how does the AHL operate. Can it operate? Then all these bottom pairing, bottom line players are waiting for roster spots to become available based on this. It might be a year where the owners take a big hit to keep the league operating, though the escrow will be high this year.

I don't think they will put Perreault on IR to start. But the options exists. Perreault is pretty fragile at this stage of his career. I know I am not allowed to say this but if the Jets can weather some of the agent and media shitstorms this year, they have a pretty decent squad, and I respect giving Matty one last kick at the can. I respect True North's loyalty 100%, because the better you treat your players, the more other players around the league will notice. Might not be everyone's choice, but once you stay awhile, you know you are in a hockey city.

Last edited:

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
This year I'm more optimistic for the group as a whole. Playoff minimum.

They need a 2nd pairing LD.
It rest on Samberg.
Might be a little too much too ask but he is not an 18 year old coming in.
So he should be ok.

Hopefully Helly continues from last year.
Ans Scheifele re assert himself as one of the best C in the league.
Morrissey able to withstand the long season amd carries the D group.

Lets go PoMO!!!

Last edited:

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
It gives them a chance to break samberg and Heinola in separately. By the time Heinola joins Samberg will be a 40 game vet.
We don't need to break them in separately. We need them to both have 50 NHL games under their belt by the time 2021-22 starts. Use this season to develop them. Who cares if it costs us.a couple of wins (it probably won't).

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

He was fantastic in 2015 -- will never forget his dad throwing his hat onto the ice when Nic hit the hatttrick. Also v good in that tourney was JMo, as a defensive leader on TC that year, and named to the 2015 WJC All-Star First Team, with four points and a +9.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Assuming Roslovic is still here, I hope

Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Stastny-Wheeler
Harkins-Copp-Roslovic
Perraeult-Lowry-Appleton

Morrissey-Demelo
Forbort-Pionk
Samberg-Poolman

Last edited:
Reactions: Hulide