Line Combos: Jets Projected line up next season

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Will also be on the ice for 40+ goals against :laugh:

That's very well on the realms of possibility. I just did dig into our regular TOP-6 forwards 5-on-5 GF, GA & goal differential stats for last 4 seasons and if Laine & Connor can stay out of their 18-19 form, things could look pretty nice for Connor-Scheifele-Laine, but I would sleep my nights much better with Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine as those 3 guys are leading the Jets top forwards in terms of 5-on-5 goal differential last 4 seasons:

upload_2020-10-19_8-41-25.png

Their bad 18-19 season omitted, things look pretty nice:

upload_2020-10-19_8-51-20.png

No empty netter situations included, just pure real 5-on-5 performance, regular season and playoffs.

Connor is btw. the only TOP-6 regular with negative goal differential, 5-on-5.

I did not include Stastny as he had only one half season as a Jet so far, but he did very well on his short stint here.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Scheifele , Connor , Laine, Ehlers, Stastny and Wheeler give us a very good top 6 , i don't care who is playing with who. :nod: Well you might want to make sure Stastny and Scheifele aren't on the same line.:laugh:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Scheifele, Connor and Wheeler
Stastny, Laine and Ehlers
Harkins , Copp and Appleton
Lowry , Frenchie and Vaseline

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
I'm not sure that I like the idea of Stastny and Wheeler together. Two playmakers with crappy shots? Hmm.

I also REALLY don't like the idea of Connor - Scheif - Laine unless you plan to talk Scheif into changing his game around and going back to being a digger/distributor.

So.... I have trouble seeing past:

Connor - Schief - Wheeler
Ehlers - Stastny - Laine
Copp - Lowry - Roslovic
Harkins - Thompson - Apples

But, if we wanted to get crazy I might do something like:

Ehlers - Scheif - Wheeler
Harkins - Stastny - Laine
Connor - Copp - Roslovic
Appleton - Lowry - Vesalainen

Or:

Ehlers - Scheif - Laine
Connor - Stastny - Roslovic
Appleton - Harkins - Wheeler
Copp - Lowry - Vesalainen

These latter two lineups depend heavily on whether Stastny is capable of helping keep the line's head above water. He might need to be paired with Ehlers or Copp:

Ehlers - Scheif - Laine
Connor - Stastny - Copp
Harkins - Roslovic - Wheeler

Anyway I'd like to see us try new things, and really explore having three scoring lines.

I do have a feeling, though, if (when?) we end up going same-old same-old, we will end up with a coaching change.

Last edited:
Reactions: Psych0dad

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
My ideal lines are:

Ehlers - Scheif - Laine
Copp - Lowry - Wheeler
Harkins - Gus - Appleton
Perreault - Thompson

JMo - DeMelo
Niku - Pionk
Samberg - Poolman
Beaulieu

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
I'm glad you are not the coach with Lowry as the #2C lol and Copp above Connor haha!!

Well, Lowry is always the second line over the boards and they typically get 16 minutes per game. I'd want the icetime distribution to be:

Line 1 - 18 minutes
Line 2 & 3 - 16 minutes
Line 4 - 10 minutes

If it makes you feel better you could put Connor - Stats - Roslovic as the "2nd line". They are interchangeable to me but PoMo loves his shut down line and would love it even more with Wheels on it so I put them second.

Maybe I should have elaborated on the icetime distribution and deployment initially.

Scheif Line - O-zone starts. Don't go best on best this year and work to get them easier matchups.
Lowry line - D-zone starts and matched up against the other teams top line where possible.
Stas Line - assuming Scheif's Line draws the top defenders and Lowry's line pulls their top offensive players this line hopefully feasts on the opposition's depth lines.
Gus Line - Kid line so we want to pick our spots but matched up against their 4th line and o-zone starts.

Last edited:
Reactions: JetsUK

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Connor..... Schiefele.....Wheeler

Ehlers.......Stastny.......Laine

Perreault,,,,,,, Lowry.....Copp

Apples.......Rozlo......Harkins...... Gus

Josh M...........................Demeleo
FORBERT/Samberg......Pionk
FORBERT /Samberg,,,,, Poolman
Sbisa................................Belliveau
Niku

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Connor..... Schiefele.....Wheeler

Ehlers.......Stastny.......Laine

Perreault,,,,,,, Lowry.....Copp

Apples.......Rozlo......Harkins...... Gus

Josh M...........................Demeleo
FORBERT/Samberg......Pionk
FORBERT /Samberg,,,,, Poolman
Sbisa................................Belliveau
Niku
They gave Thompson #11 so he's basically on the team.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
I'm not sure that I like the idea of Stastny and Wheeler together. Two playmakers with crappy shots? Hmm.

I also REALLY don't like the idea of Connor - Scheif - Laine unless you plan to talk Scheif into changing his game around and going back to being a digger/distributor.

So.... I have trouble seeing past:

Connor - Schief - Wheeler
Ehlers - Stastny - Laine
Copp - Lowry - Roslovic
Harkins - Thompson - Apples

But, if we wanted to get crazy I might do something like:

Ehlers - Scheif - Wheeler
Harkins - Stastny - Laine
Connor - Copp - Roslovic

Or:

Ehlers - Scheif - Laine
Appleton - Harkins - Wheeler
Copp - Lowry - Vesalainen

These latter two lineups depend heavily on whether Stastny is capable of helping keep the line's head above water. He might need to be paired with Ehlers or Copp:

Ehlers - Scheif - Laine
Connor - Stastny - Copp
Harkins - Roslovic - Wheeler

Anyway I'd like to see us try new things, and really explore having three scoring lines.

I do have a feeling, though, if we end up going same-old same-old, we will end up with a coaching change.
I love your optomism but PoMo gonna PoMo.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Why do people believe things like this that are demonstrably untrue....?

Well, Lowry has averaged 15 minutes and 12 seconds of icetime per game over the last 3 years, so maybe a shade under 16 minutes per game.

For the deployment piece I agree that it won't always be true and may depend on if you're home or away, your opponents, etc. I stand by my line combos anyhow.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Don't care about the lines - just have this crazy dream that we will roll four lines someday... instead of driving our top line into the ground

You sure it wasn't a flashback from when we had Litts and Frenchy down there. To me the frustrating part is we've seen it before and so accepting 4th line plugs is hard to deal with now.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned and I think is the reason we see less creative 4th lines is that Paul uses it for his PKers and he tends to want whoever will throw themselves in front of the puck on the PK, aka your your Thompson's, Hendricks, Thorburns etc.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
You sure it wasn't a flashback from when we had Litts and Frenchy down there. To me the frustrating part is we've seen it before and so accepting 4th line plugs is hard to deal with now.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned and I think is the reason we see less creative 4th lines is that Paul uses it for his PKers and he tends to want whoever will throw themselves in front of the puck on the PK, aka your your Thompson's, Hendricks, Thorburns etc.
Tanev. Kill a penalty with his face, light up the Bergeron line for a hattrick, perfect bottom 6er.

To your first paragraph - bang on. We saw the 4 line depth destroy Minnesota and out battle Nashville before finally falling to a rested Vegas. We haven't iced depth like that since the WCF.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Well, Lowry has averaged 15 minutes and 12 seconds of icetime per game over the last 3 years, so maybe a shade under 16 minutes per game.

For the deployment piece I agree that it won't always be true and may depend on if you're home or away, your opponents, etc. I stand by my line combos anyhow.

download.png

Generally speaking Lowry has been steadily looked as a 3C on the Jets...

For non 3 C situations he played about (+/- some games):
4th C: 4 games
2nd C: 13 games
1st C: 1

Doing math that means about 30 games as the 3rd guy over for even strength minutes.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018

A lot of teams seem to be playing really aggressive PK, even looking for goals.

If they won't put Ehlers as main playmaker on PP1 I'd love to see him on the PK.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
A bounce back year for Lowry will be needed for the Jets if he's going to be better than a fourth line player.
His defining feature isn't his impact on finishing, so he needs to drive play and last year he lost his fastball.
download-1.png

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
It's not happening. Lowry is #1 in defensive zone draws. And since hockey is ebb and flow, there will be defensive zone draws. What we should be trying to recreate is Tanev-Lowry-Copp, which dominated strong opponents. So promote Harkins over Roslovic.

Everybody wants Lowry demoted, well kids, that means Lowry probably moves out at the end of the season. And then we aren't as good. Period. Or tough, but we will still have skill, which doesn't win when they are being hunted all over the ice with no response. In fact the only centres who weren't injured last year by head hunting or other recklessness was Copp, and Shore.

Funny how Tampa Bay won playing 3 line hockey, with Coleman-Gourde-Goodrow as the 3rd line. Hardly world beaters. In fact if you wanted player comparables, Coleman would be Harkins potentially, Gourde would be Roslovic, and Goodrow would be Lowry.

Click links for images:

Coleman
Gourde
Goodrow

Harkins
Lowry
Roslovic
Copp

To me it seems that Lightning won in part because their 3rd line is just a lot better than the Jets. One of the issues is that Lowry just wasn't very good last season and he's been worse than the previous year 2 seasons in a row. He needs to bounce back if he's going to be 3C.

I'd put Copp Coleman and Gourde in the top tier, while Lowry being potential to bouncing back to that tier. The rest are average or worse (struggle). Harkins is small sample so we have to guess a bit more with him relative the others.

Not out of the realm of possibility (have Lowry bounce back and Harkins improve, but not the highest proability.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
What are the chances if the chances that both Samberg and Heinola start off the team? How long do you think the pre-season will be?

Reactions: Halberdier

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Click links for images:

Coleman
Gourde
Goodrow

Harkins
Lowry
Roslovic
Copp

To me it seems that Lightning won in part because their 3rd line is just a lot better than the Jets. One of the issues is that Lowry just wasn't very good last season and he's been worse than the previous year 2 seasons in a row. He needs to bounce back if he's going to be 3C.

I'd put Copp Coleman and Gourde in the top tier, while Lowry being potential to bouncing back to that tier. The rest are average or worse (struggle). Harkins is small sample so we have to guess a bit more with him relative the others. Based on sample size, is there a good chance Gustaffson will be a top tier bottom 6er?

Not out of the realm of possibility (have Lowry bounce back and Harkins improve, but not the highest proability.
Where does Appleton fit? Where does Goodrow fit is he also an elite bottom 6 player?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad