Line Combos: Jets Projected line up next season

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Boy Harkins doesn’t get the love he deserves. Kid is going to be a regular and get his share of ice time.

With injuries.
All Maurice’s best lineup decisions are through injury. But I agree. Harkins should be on a 3rd line with Roslovic and Appleton.

Reactions: GNP and JetsUK

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
With injuries.
All Maurice’s best lineup decisions are through injury. But I agree. Harkins should be on a 3rd line with Roslovic and Appleton.

Hat has Appleton proven to play over Copp or Lowry. Hell, Roslovic hasn’t shown he can carry that line offensively anyways. Harkins is showing to not only be skilled enough to play up the line up, but also in a way that is catching Maurice’s eye. I know that carries little weight on this board but it says something for a young player to win over his trust regardless of what we all think.

Reactions: JetsUK

Vinther

Feb 28, 2016
would it make sense to build the 2 power plays around the 2 first lines now that Stats is here. To have a 2 more or less equal power plays?

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Forwards is pretty easy to predict with Paul. Defense will be the big question to me. I’m expecting

JoMo - DeMelo
Forbort - Pionk
Boo boo/Samberg - Poolman

unless anyone actually think a cup is feasible this upcoming season (I don’t) is go

JoMo - DeMelo
Samberg/heinola - pionk
Heinola/samberg- Poolman

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I'd like the 3rd line to be Harkins-Copp-Roslo. Copp is too good for 4th line imo, and Im not so high on Appleton. Rotate the center for the pre-season and start of the season, and see which works best in the long run

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Boy Harkins doesn’t get the love he deserves. Kid is going to be a regular and get his share of ice time.

I’d like to see him on a revamped 3rd with Copp at C and Roslovic on the RW. They can all carry the puck and make plays and it’s time the Jets try for a 3rd line like this. Perreault - Lowry - Appleton seems like a perfectly fine “energy line” as the 4th. #FreeLowryFromTheThird

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Perfetti is going to miss a chunk of the OHL season because of the WJC. I wonder if the Jets keep him as a 3/4 C to develop on the fly since Stastny is only here for a year. It would make it easier for him to step into a 2C role the following year

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
would it make sense to build the 2 power plays around the 2 first lines now that Stats is here. To have a 2 more or less equal power plays?
Stastny should take Connor's spot again down low. Connor and Ehlers should be able to terrorize on the second unit.

Although with no Little, it's unlikely to put both top centres on one unit.

Reactions: WiscoJet

nhlpro

Nov 12, 2015
Peg City
MINE:

FORWARDS

K. CONNOR - M. SCHEIFELE - P. LAINE
N. EHLERS - P. STASTNY - B. WHEELER
K. VESALAINEN - C. PERFETTI - J. ROSLOVIC
A. COPP - A. LOWRY - M. PERREAULT (BEST 4TH LINE IN THE NHL!! AND OH YA INSERT HARKINS WHEN PERREAULT GETS HURT RIGHT AWAY)
J. HARKINS - N. THOMPSON - M. APPLETON

DEFENSE

J. MORRISSEY - N. PIONK
V. HEINOLA - D. DEMELO
D. SAMBERG - S. NIKU
N. BEAULIEU - D. FORBORT
L. SBISA - T. POOLMAN

MAURICES:

FORWARDS

K. CONNOR - M. SCHEIFELE - B. WHEELER
N. EHLERS - P. STASTNY - P. LAINE
A. COPP - A. LOWRY - J. ROSLOVIC
M. PERREAULT - N. THOMPSON - M. APPLETON
J. HARKINS - D. TONINATO - J. LUOTO
K. VESALAINEN - C. PERFETTI - MINORS:(

DEFENSE:

J. MORRISSEY - D. DEMELO
D. SAMBERG - N. PIONK
N. BEAULIEU - D. FORBORT
L. SBISA - T. POOLMAN
V. HEINOLA - S. NIKU

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
Stastny should take Connor's spot again down low. Connor and Ehlers should be able to terrorize on the second unit.

Although with no Little, it's unlikely to put both top centres on one unit.
Terrorize on the second unit? The 15 sec the 2 PP unit Will get?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I’d like to see him on a revamped 3rd with Copp at C and Roslovic on the RW. They can all carry the puck and make plays and it’s time the Jets try for a 3rd line like this. Perreault - Lowry - Appleton seems like a perfectly fine “energy line” as the 4th. #FreeLowryFromTheThird

It's not happening. Lowry is #1 in defensive zone draws. And since hockey is ebb and flow, there will be defensive zone draws. What we should be trying to recreate is Tanev-Lowry-Copp, which dominated strong opponents. So promote Harkins over Roslovic.

Everybody wants Lowry demoted, well kids, that means Lowry probably moves out at the end of the season. And then we aren't as good. Period. Or tough, but we will still have skill, which doesn't win when they are being hunted all over the ice with no response. In fact the only centres who weren't injured last year by head hunting or other recklessness was Copp, and Shore.

Funny how Tampa Bay won playing 3 line hockey, with Coleman-Gourde-Goodrow as the 3rd line. Hardly world beaters. In fact if you wanted player comparables, Coleman would be Harkins potentially, Gourde would be Roslovic, and Goodrow would be Lowry.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
It's not happening. Lowry is #1 in defensive zone draws. And since hockey is ebb and flow, there will be defensive zone draws. What we should be trying to recreate is Tanev-Lowry-Copp, which dominated strong opponents. So promote Harkins over Roslovic.

Everybody wants Lowry demoted, well kids, that means Lowry probably moves out at the end of the season. And then we aren't as good. Period. Or tough, but we will still have skill, which doesn't win when they are being hunted all over the ice with no response. In fact the only centres who weren't injured last year by head hunting or other recklessness was Copp, and Shore.

Funny how Tampa Bay won playing 3 line hockey, with Coleman-Gourde-Goodrow as the 3rd line. Hardly world beaters. In fact if you wanted player comparables, Coleman would be Harkins potentially, Gourde would be Roslovic, and Goodrow would be Lowry.
Coleman is one of the best two way players in the NHL. Gourde is also a very, very good player. Lowry and Roslovic aren’t remotely close to as good as either of them. It’s not a reasonable comparison whatsoever.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Coleman is one of the best two way players in the NHL. Gourde is also a very, very good player. Lowry and Roslovic aren’t remotely close to as good as either of them. It’s not a reasonable comparison whatsoever.

The difference is that Coleman finishes, Harkins is just getting started, but in terms of playing style, I'd say they are similar. Great skaters, two way players.

Gourde had 30 points in 71 games last year. Roslovic had 29 in 71. Difference is that Gourde has been a proven finisher. Roslovic, everyone thinks he has 20 goal potential, but he can't find the net often enough, even when playing with better players. I think Lowry and Goodrow would be very similar comparisions, with good metrics in defensive roles.

But for Lowry having a winger like Harkins who fill the gaps with speed, makes a big different from Perreault who is going to stop and start, because he doesn't have the quickness for separation anymore. Playing with the likes of Bourque and Perreault was taking away his effectiveness. I hope the organization realizes that.

I'd be good with Roslovic, Appleton, Perreault as a 4th line. If Roslovic killed penalties for us, as be hasn't yet. The guys like Toninato, Thompson and Suess can fill those roles. Gustafsson too. I wouldn't rule out Gustafsson as an opening day player. The reason to bring Roslovic back is he is the best player we have to fill a top 6 role as an injury replacement, though only slightly better than Copp, who is more versatile.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

You do realize Gourde has a 64 and 48 point year on his resume? He is a legit second line player being asked to play a third line role, something we don't have.

Coleman has some grit and size but he has also shown to be able to score at high end third line scoring rates. That also puts him above what we currently ice.

Godrow fits the Lowry/Copp type mold decently well.

The simple fact of the matter is that Tampa's third line isn't a one dimensional checking line. It is the type of third line that i want on this team. It has skill, it had grit and it has defense. Very very different then what we run.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg

And Tampa didn’t win the cup “playing 3rd line hockey.” Go tell that to Point or Kucharov or anyone else in their top 6.

The Jets will be better when Lowry is on the 4th line. The moment he becomes too pricey for the fourth he can move on and Gus can take his spot. For the right price I’d love to see him stay with the Jets... but with 4th line, defensive zone only, minutes at EV and top PK unit. That’s where his usage is good to great.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

I was thinking this too. There's a chemistry between the players that comes from playing together for an extended period, you can carry it over, and make it an internal competition. Add a role player to each line, say Copp for the front of the net with Scheifele's, and Harkins as the digger with Stastny's, divide up Morrissey and Pionk, and you have 2 units that are dangerous.

Reactions: JetsUK

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
And Tampa didn’t win the cup “playing 3rd line hockey.” Go tell that to Point or Kucharov or anyone else in their top 6.

The Jets will be better when Lowry is on the 4th line. The moment he becomes too pricey for the fourth he can move on and Gus can take his spot. For the right price I’d love to see him stay with the Jets... but with 4th line, defensive zone only, minutes at EV and top PK unit. That’s where his usage is good to great.

They were carried by their top guns. I'd say the way we are built this year we have better gunners from 1-6. And a checking line that can win zone time. Biggest difference is Tampa ran a steady 3 defensive units that maintained good exits and offensive zone pressure. Their 1-3 on the left side is where we could only hope to be.

Reactions: mazmin

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I was thinking this too. There's a chemistry between the players that comes from playing together for an extended period, you can carry it over, and make it an internal competition. Add a role player to each line, say Copp for the front of the net with Scheifele's, and Harkins as the digger with Stastny's, divide up Morrissey and Pionk, and you have 2 units that are dangerous.

I dont mind that idea. We need some different wrinkles on the pp this year.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Since there may not be an AHL season, but may be a larger squad to allow for games missed due to illness, injuries etc. in order to maintain the bubble, I doubt that we bring players over from Europe this season, so no Gus or Heinola or Gawanke. I also think we see Stastny reunited with The Dane n' Laine, at least to begin. And there's no way our latest vet infusion doesn't play regularly, given what we've seen over the past. So:

Connor Scheifele Wheels
Ehlers Stastny Laine
Lowry Copp Harkins/ Roslovic
Perreault Appleton/ Thompson/ DomTon

Morrissey/ Demelo
Forbs/ Sbisa/ Pionk
Samberg/ Beaulieu/ Poolman
Niku

Roslo is likely to slide between L3/4, depending on his levels of disaffection, and maybe Laine moves up to replace Connor or Wheeler, depending on results and how much the org is interested in extending him and/ or showcasing him for a trade.

I'd be happy to see the bottom 4 D rotate in and out of the lineup and the PB, with some attempt made to equalize ice time in order to minimize injuries and maximize development. But I wouldn't count on it.

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Part of our problem last year was no 2nd line, Stastny gives us a good 2nd line right from the start of the season. I really think Stastny is going to help us alot, offense, faceoffs , defensively and knowledge of the game. Our defensive is going to be a work in progress but we have Helly , the best goaltender in all of the NHL .

Reactions: Halberdier

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
It’s pretty easy to guess the line up for next year.

Pick the exact same line up for the last however years and use that

Connor sheif wheeler
Wheels stats laine
Copp Lowry roslo
Perrault Thompson Harkins

defense a bit different

Morrissey Demelo
Forbort Pionk ( forbort here all year)
Beau Poolman

Samburg pressbox with Sbisa.
Did you trade Ehlers for a draft pick and were forced to double shift Wheeler? Or do you just really like Wheeler? :laugh:

Reactions: Halberdier

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad