Harkins-Thompson-Appleton
Toninato

Morrissey-DeMelo
Samberg/Forbort-Pionk
Forbort/Samberg-Poolman
Beaulieu, Sbisa

Hellebuyck
Broissot

Why is the All Star 40+ Goal Superstar, 5 goals in a 1 game not on the 1st line:( Probably would be a good idea over Wheeler:) I sure hope this happens to start the year! Nothing wrong with a Ehlers - Stats - Wheels line as your 2nd line!

Last edited:

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
New Line up idea given some of the early European results:

Conner Scheifele Wheeler
Ehlers Stastny Laine
Vesalainen Copp Roslovic
Harkins Lowry Appelton

Morrissey DeMelo
Forbert Pionk
Samberg/Beau Poolman/Beau/Niku
Beau/Poolman/Niku

Helle
Brossoit

Major assumptions is that Ves continues his good play in the Liga and forces his way onto the team in camp. Putting him as a big body next to a strong two/way center and solid middle 6 RW in Roslovic will allow us to create a balanced 3rd line that has size, scoring and two-way ability.

This will allow us to move Lowry to 4C with two good young wingers that should help us form a real strong fourth line.

The forward core has a lot of depth, size, skill and speed and should give many teams a lot of trouble.

I would be trying to derive a similar type of defense that Moe likes to traditionally run with player playing more specialized roles on each pairing:

-JoMo more aggressive offensively jumping into play while DeMelo stays back and plays it safe
-Pionk offensive and Forbert defensive
Bottom pairing formation one: Beau more offensive Poolman more defensive
Bottom pairing formation two: Niku more offensive and Samberg more defensive

PP1

Stastney
Laine
Scheifele
Wheeler
Pionk

Same format but replace Conner with Stastney.

PP2

Reverse form of PP1 with the following personnel:

Ves
Roslovic/Copp
Ehlers
Conner
Morrissey

PK1

Copp - Appelton

Forbert Poolman

PK2

Lowry Conner

Morrissey DeMelo

My only suggested change would be put Ehlers on Pk#2, instead of If. Ehlers is stronger defensively and can also jump onto loose pucks to take it the other way for a scoring chance. Watching Connor in the play-in series against Calgary this summer showed his defensive weaknesses more so in his more exposed icetime, with Scheifele and Laine out! He never finishes checks and backs off of forecheck pressure much too quickly if the puck isn't there for the taking.
Ehlers has learned to lean on opposition when pressuring them and after they passed the puck off.
One key part to PK'ing is pressuring puck carrier when close enough and keeping yourself as defender on the right side of the puck. Pushing off, leaning on opponent who just let go of puck control keeps you on the right side of the attacking the play and ahead of player you just pushed off of.
Just my points on it. Good overall potential lineups there.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
My only suggested change would be put Ehlers on Pk#2, instead of Connors. Ehlers is stronger defensively and can also jump onto loose pucks to take it the other way for a scoring chance. Watching Connors in the play-in series against Calgary this summer showed his defensive weaknesses more so in his more exposed icetime, with Scheifele and Laine out! He never finishes checks and backs off of forecheck pressure much too quickly if the puck isn't there for the taking.
Ehlers has learned to lean on opposition when pressuring them and after they passed the puck off.
One key part to PK'ing is pressuring puck carrier when closd enough and keeping uourself as defender on the right sude of ghe puck. Pushing off, leaning on opponent who just let go of puck control keeps you on the right side of the attacking the play and ahead of player you just pushed off of.
Just my points on it. Good overall potential lineups there.

I agree but we know Moe will use Conner over Ehlers on the PK despite the fact I can see Ehlers being lethal on the PK.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
That's a good line. But I don't get the drive to demote Lowry after he was our best forward in the playoffs. He's still a strong matchup centre, I think stronger than Copp, though the stats probably say otherwise.

I wouldn't mind Copp-Lowry-Roslovic, followed by Harkins-Perfetti-Appleton to start the season. See how the kid handles playing in the NHL. But it really depends on how the Jets want to match up, with speed, or with physicality.

The likelihood of our defense having both Forbort and Beaulieu in the lineup to start is pretty good, which allows for more speed up front.

Defense as it stands looks like:

Morrissey-De Melo
Forbort-Pionk
Beaulieu-Poolman
-------------------------
Sbisa-Niku

Samberg should find a spot in the rotation if he impresses in camp, but after 9 months of no hockey, could be rusty.

Because Lowry does not drive the play strongly enough to carry a secondary scoring line, not during regular season play . He is valued in defensive structure, d-zone draws, pk'ing, and puck control pressure when with ideal linemates ( like Copp & Tanev), and toughness of course.We need to open up a 3rd line to play strong coverage and be capable of jumping on scoring chances, creating some of their own, game-in/game-out. That lineup proposed, without Lowry on it, looks potentially very promising for these purposes. Maurice can still "plug & play" his golden boy Lowry in tight situations, as in-game requirement calls fir stronger defending. Would be really ideal if Roslo (if re-signed) finds some consistent finish and confidence offensively while Copp provides strong positional coverage in zones and solid faceoff battling, plus having Harkins stepping up to carry the play more and drive the offense a bit (hopeful improvement and growth).
Not meaning demoting Lowry to non-use! Just using him similar but spreading the lines out hopefully more effectively, when they get to play with some regularity.

Last edited:

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Samberg should find a spot in the rotation if he impresses in camp, but after 9 months of no hockey, could be rusty.
Beau has had injuries and even longer break than Samberg. Assuming Samberg has had the chance to practice on ice, I think he'll come in sharp.

Who knows though, we might see some guys coming in overweight after they got stuck inside for a year. Happens every soccer offseason as some players cant be bothered to train. It's usually just the vets with big long contracts who fall for that one.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Beau has had injuries and even longer break than Samberg. Assuming Samberg has had the chance to practice on ice, I think he'll come in sharp.

Who knows though, we might see some guys coming in overweight after they got stuck inside for a year. Happens every soccer offseason as some players cant be bothered to train. It's usually just the vets with big long contracts who fall for that one.

Beaulieu was in the playins in August. Samberg hasn't played since March. He's training with guys he could play with in the lineup. On a 23 player roster, the only roster spot that looks to be in contention is Samberg vs. Niku, and the one way contract and waiver eligibility is a definite advantage for Niku, so that Samberg making the team either demotes Niku, or loses him to waivers. The rest are all safe, you know the vets will be, because we don't have a veteran defense by any means. If there is an expanded roster that bodes better for some of the Jets prospects, like Samberg, Vesalainen or Perfetti to travel with and get to know the team. And get some playing time. I'm hoping for a good impact out of Samberg, maybe not immediate, but progressive.

Maurice is a stickler for conditioning. That was his immediate imprint on the team. I think any player that comes in overweight will be looking for a new home.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Why is the All Star 40+ Goal Superstar, 5 goals in a 1 game not on the 1st line:( Probably would be a good idea over Wheeler:) I sure hope this happens to start the year! Nothing wrong with a Ehlers - Stats - Wheels line as your 2nd line! And also your forgetting Frenchie!
Check 3rd line RW.

Reactions: nhlpro

nhlpro

Nov 12, 2015
Peg City
Connor Scheifele Laine
Ehlers Stastny Wheeler
Vesalainen Perfetti Roslovic
Copp Lowry Perreault
Harkins insert when Perreault goes down:)

I would love to see these lines to start the year!! To me that is a pretty stacked lineup having Lowry as your 4 line C and Wheels and Eletric Eels on a 2nd line! GO JETS GO!!!

Last edited:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I'm assuming larger roster size allowed for COVID/bubble reasons, and I'm not projecting but doing my own thing given the limitations of what the Jets got.

Connor/Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers/Connor-Stastny-Laine
Perfetti-Copp-Roslovic
Appleton-Lowry-Perreault
Extras: Dano, Harkins, Toninato, Thompson

Ehlers swaps depending on what top-six line needs to get "going." I also give him PK reps for more ice time.
Copp line creates a 3rd line that can score in a shelter role with Copp keeping them honest defensively.
Lowry has a true shutdown line as a 3b line where most of the extras can fit in with in case of injuries without having a weird misfit line like Jets tend to have on the 4th.

Morrissey-DeMelo
Samberg-Pionk
Forbort-Poolman
Extras: Niku, Beaulieu, Sbisa, 1 more cheap UFA

Heinola gets one more year in Europe
Samberg gets his feet wet

Not enough depth in the backend to contend but enough up front to luck out into success.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I'm assuming larger roster size allowed for COVID/bubble reasons, and I'm not projecting but doing my own thing given the limitations of what the Jets got.

Perfetti-Copp-Roslovic
Appleton-Lowry-Perreault

Ehlers swaps depending on what top-six line needs to get "going." I also give him PK reps for more ice time.
Copp line creates a 3rd line that can score in a shelter role with Copp keeping them honest defensively.
Lowry has a true shutdown line as a 3b line where most of the extras can fit in with in case of injuries without having a weird misfit line like Jets tend to have on the 4th.

Morrissey-DeMelo
Samberg-Pionk
Forbort-Poolman

Not enough depth in the backend to contend but enough up front to luck out into success.

I like that lineup. Maybe more if Harkins were in for Perreault, I don't see Perreault as the type of player who belongs in the defensive zone, where Lowry does, whereas Harkins seems right for that role. Toninato too. Maybe Perreault/Perfetti alternate with Copp-Roslovic. Do you think Suess would make the team too? 17 forwards, 11 d-men, 3 goalies?

Interesting that all the players in Europe aren't on the expanded roster. That's probably the best replacement for the AHL, to play in professional leagues. Saves True North money too. What do you think happens with Kovacevic, Stanley, Nogier, Chisholm and Green who are under contract?

Reactions: Adam da bomb

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I just don't see the Jets plugging Perfetti into the lineup... but not sure what development options are out there either

Perrault-Copp-Roslo
Harkins-Lowry-Apples

Would be nice 3A/3B but we will force Nate Thompson in there somehow...

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
PERFETi is in the same position as Schiefele the in Schiefele draft plus 2......
Schiefele tried to make the team, but with the shortened season due to the lockout that season..... and where the Jets were in their team development.... it behooves the Jets to use the ELC sliding of the contract to get the benefit of 3 cheap seasons postponed to future years (3 full seasons). With a little more maturation with a little more growth filling out his 18 year old frame.

I would like to see a 5-8 game stint to get his feet wet to start the season over the 1st 10 -12 games of the season..... practicing and being around the Jets for the 1st month would be a valuable learning curve....

Reactions: surixon

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Defence

Morressey....DeMelo
Samberg....Pionk
Forbert.....Pool man
Beau......Niku

Sbisa replacing anyone of the above that is on IR..... as with the long layoff / covid and condensed season.... I expect IR to have at least 5 people on it all season.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
PERFETi is in the same position as Schiefele the in Schiefele draft plus 2......
Schiefele tried to make the team, but with the shortened season due to the lockout that season..... and where the Jets were in their team development.... it behooves the Jets to use the ELC sliding of the contract to get the benefit of 3 cheap seasons postponed to future years (3 full seasons). With a little more maturation with a little more growth filling out his 18 year old frame.

I would like to see a 5-8 game stint to get his feet wet to start the season over the 1st 10 -12 games of the season..... practicing and being around the Jets for the 1st month would be a valuable learning curve....

That is sort of what I think we see. He plays in the WJC and then gets 5 to 8 NHL games over January before going back to the OHL (slated to start in February) for the remainder of the year. He likely gets 50 to 60 total games this season which would be dine for his development.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005

Perfetti-Copp-Roslovic
Appleton-Lowry-Perreault

Morrissey-DeMelo
Samberg-Pionk
Forbort-Poolman

I would like to see them do this with the forward lines but I can't see Maurice changing the way he runs his lines. But having Lowry on the 4th line with Appleton and Perreault would give us some real good depth and they could play 10 to 11 minutes a night.

I think its Maurice weakness to want to run 3 lines and play the 4th 4 to 5 minutes a night

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I like that lineup. Maybe more if Harkins were in for Perreault, I don't see Perreault as the type of player who belongs in the defensive zone, where Lowry does, whereas Harkins seems right for that role. Toninato too. Maybe Perreault/Perfetti alternate with Copp-Roslovic. Do you think Suess would make the team too? 17 forwards, 11 d-men, 3 goalies?

Interesting that all the players in Europe aren't on the expanded roster. That's probably the best replacement for the AHL, to play in professional leagues. Saves True North money too. What do you think happens with Kovacevic, Stanley, Nogier, Chisholm and Green who are under contract?

Other than last year, where every Jet was terrible, Perreault would do just swell there:
Ely9jWUVoAA_8fi

No idea but we'll see. I'd expect if no AHL you see more play ECHL that's running and also expanded NHL rosters.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Other than last year, where every Jet was terrible, Perreault would do just swell there:
Ely9jWUVoAA_8fi

No idea but we'll see. I'd expect if no AHL you see more play ECHL that's running and also expanded NHL rosters.

Perrault's scoring has fallen off the last few years but he still drives play really well.

I am fine with one more year of strong play driving ans above average 4th line production rates even if we are overpaying for it now.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I would like to see them do this with the forward lines but I can't see Maurice changing the way he runs his lines. But having Lowry on the 4th line with Appleton and Perreault would give us some real good depth and they could play 10 to 11 minutes a night.

I think its Maurice weakness to want to run 3 lines and play the 4th 4 to 5 minutes a night

Not everyone has the depth of star power we do either. Most teams are power line and then some depth. You want to give those top 6 guys at least 35 minutes. 40 is pushing the limits. But the 12-15 quality minutes from a checking line doesn't leave a lot of 4th line minutes. I like the idea of a Perfetti-Copp-Roslovic line, Harkins might be more mature for that role though. I'm not expecting domination from Perfetti off the hop, you have to process a game at a higher speed with less space. But I wouldn't mind seeing Harkins-Lowry-Appleton matchup with Copp-Roslovic for ice time. I think that would maximize our 4 line attack. Lowry could still play more minutes than Copp, if he is more effective. You'd have a play driver throughout 4 lines. I still have a hard time seeing Perreault as a play driver. He's smart with the puck though, that keeps you around awhile without wheels.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Perrault's scoring has fallen off the last few years but he still drives play really well.

I am fine with one more year of strong play driving ans above average 4th line production rates even if we are overpaying for it now.

How much is swap in QoT though vs his lost shot since the wrist injury? (I ask as I don't know)
He's spending more time with folks like Lowry (good but defensive) and the misfit of lost toys 4th line.

A 26 5v5 point (1.7 p/60) true talent 2nd line player scores 8 points (1.3 p/60) if you place them on the fourth line.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
How much is swap in QoT though vs his lost shot since the wrist injury? (I ask as I don't know)
He's spending more time with folks like Lowry (good but defensive) and the misfit of lost toys 4th line.

A 26 5v5 point (1.7 p/60) true talent 2nd line player scores 8 points (1.3 p/60) if you place them on the fourth line.

I definitely think there is something to be said about his scoring rates and how he has been used. Given Maurice's pattern on lineup configuration he is either likely to be on a low minute fourth line or play with Copp and Lowry. As such I would be fairly confident with him staying in the 1.3 to 1.4 P/60 range while being good at driving shots.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
It does seem like a waste how Maurice uses his four lines. I don't understand the logic in just basically forfeiting one of them for no reason and even then having only 2 scoring lines. Even then most of the time it has been only one scoring line. Offensive chemistry is not a priority at all, which is so weird, especially given the current roster.

Maurice has absolutely genius-level strengths as a coach but this lineup management stuff needs to be delegated to someone else. Just get a guy with a different type of brain to do the stuff you are bad at. I would be horrible at developing talent and keeping the room together. I would get a guy for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad