News: Jets open to moving First round pick 2020 per, GM Cheveldayoff

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Well I just feel like your yelling at me for my own ideas. That’s what I took from the conversation of Jets GM. Others as well. That’s why they are posting trade offers. Taken out of context? Maybe. But like I pointed across the board numerous times. This GM was the first one talking about its draft picks almost 2 months away from deadline day. It’s a bit exciting before the month of February to speculate.

Yelling via email/forum posting is cap letters.......you asked for opinions/context and received them from multi informed Jets fans. Plus literally I said to you, believe what you will. Posters making offers? Open a trade thread for any team saying you want a specific position on the team.....aka a Top pairing D.......you're bound to get multi posters offering you forwards, bottom pairing D, etc. Read in this thread already......people offering forwards when the Jets already have one of the best and deepest forward groups in the NHL.......offers mean nothing especially when they offer forwards (especially wingers) it shows they have no idea what the team needs.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
why is he thinking so short term

its not like schiefele has 2 years left on sweetheart deal, he has 5.

He didn't say he was a going to do it, he said it's possible followed by saying he's not saying it's likely. 1st for a long term asset would be a "good fit or right situation". A 1st for a rental with all the issues going on with the team this year is just throwing away a 1st Rd pick.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Yelling via email/forum posting is cap letters.......you asked for opinions/context and received them from multi informed Jets fans. Plus literally I said to you, believe what you will. Posters making offers? Open a trade thread for any team saying you want a specific position on the team.....aka a Top pairing D.......you're bound to get multi posters offering you forwards, bottom pairing D, etc. Read in this thread already......people offering forwards when the Jets already have one of the best and deepest forward groups in the NHL.......offers mean nothing especially when they offer forwards (especially wingers) it shows they have no idea what the team needs.

It’s news. And it’s not worthy of a Rumors topic nor a speculation topic. Throwing any of those prefix wouldn’t be correct. It’s simply something to talk about.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
You have to appreciate the Winnipeg context. We have Buff suspended and his $7.6 M cap space tied up. In the meantime we have 3 AHLers playing regular minutes on the blueline. Chevy is telling the fan base he is looking to improve things. IMO this shouldn't be interpreted that they are TD buyers.

I just find it conversation friendly that Jets GM was willing to discuss the state of the franchise 2 months before deadline day. He was first one to talk about moves so substantial.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I just find it conversation friendly that Jets GM was willing to discuss the state of the franchise 2 months before deadline day. He was first one to talk about moves so substantial.
He is getting a lot of local heat on the state of our defense and fans are getting a little restless we won't be in the conversation in a couple months without some upgrades on our backend.

Reactions: Hunter368

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
It’s news. And it’s not worthy of a Rumors topic nor a speculation topic. Throwing any of those prefix wouldn’t be correct. It’s simply something to talk about.

Yup and that's all good.....I'm enjoying the chat. The thread remains open to allow discussion, being in the trade forum makes sense and prefix is fine.

One interesting offer has been made (Skjei), the rest make zero sense due to the points already discussed. Zero forwards, zero goalies, zero bottom pairing D are needed.......already deep in all those areas. Only position of need is truely top 4 D with term that's worth giving up assets for. You could argue top six C, but really Wheeler has filled that need at a PPG rate and solid defensive play so that's not really a urgent need (more of a long term need). Love to hear more team controlled long term top 4 D offers......those make sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: KingBogo

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Kreider Fast and Andersson to Jets for Kristian Vesalainen, David Gustafsson, Adam Lowry and 1st in 2020??
Wow, no. 2 pending UFA forwards that they don't need and an iffy prospect that has demanded a trade. And all you ask for is a boatload of stuff - a dominant shutdown C, their top wing prospect, their top C prospect and a 1st.

Reactions: Troy and Huffer

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
This might be a weird offer and I'm probably going to be crucified by both sides of the fan bases, especially since I also don't understand Winnipeg Jets assets values very well... but what if Flames requested you traded for Hamonic as a part of a bigger deal? Flames likely need dmen in return (likely RD) but are OK with a slight downgrade. I don't completely understand what the Jets' needs are, but I think I see a glimmer in the Skjei interest.

Hanifin + Hamonic for 2020 1st + RD + X
... sort of base with more added to the deal to make sense? Would I be murdered if I were to request Niku be the roster RD that we are requesting, but also to be poking around names like Samberg?

Why Jets might do this:
Hanifin could be a long term option as a top 4 LD behind Morrisey. They also get UFA Hamonic as a vet RD who has roots in Winnipeg to help shore up the right side for this season for whoever long term RD we are prying from Winnipeg this season. Overall NHL roster is upgraded long term for futures + prospects and Jets get first swipe at looking into Hamonic extension.

Jets walk out with the following top 4 d core:

Morissey - Hamonic
Hanifin - Pionk

Why Flames might do this:
Flames want to move one or both of Brodie/Hamonic rather than let them walk for nothing and thus request Winnipeg include one of them to grease the wheels of a trade. Flames also have a weird long term LD situation going on with Gio/Hanifin/Valimaki/Kylington and our long term RD situation is kinda stupid too with Brodie/Hamonic/Andersson/Stone. A long term RD option with potential to pair with Gio/Valimaki behind Andersson would be nice. Hanifin would mainly be moved for a long term top 4 option at RD, but nearly as equal, we want the 1st straight up as currency for potentially other long term roster moves and we want to get value for our dmen UFA.

Flames walk out with the following top 4 d core and futures for flexibility:

Gio - Brodie
Valimaki - Niku

Worth discussing/refining further? Or... grab your torches and pitch forks from both sides and chase me out of the thread?

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
This might be a weird offer and I'm probably going to be crucified by both sides of the fan bases, especially since I also don't understand Winnipeg Jets assets values very well... but what if Flames requested you traded for Hamonic as a part of a bigger deal? Flames likely need dmen in return (likely RD) but are OK with a slight downgrade. I don't completely understand what the Jets' needs are, but I think I see a glimmer in the Skjei interest.

Hanifin + Hamonic for 2020 1st + RD + X
... sort of base with more added to the deal to make sense? Would I be murdered if I were to request Niku be the roster RD that we are requesting, but also to be poking around names like Samberg?

Why Jets might do this:
Hanifin could be a long term option as a top 4 LD behind Morrisey. They also get UFA Hamonic as a vet RD who has roots in Winnipeg to help shore up the right side for this season for whoever long term RD we are prying from Winnipeg this season. Overall NHL roster is upgraded long term for futures + prospects and Jets get first swipe at looking into Hamonic extension.

Jets walk out with the following top 4 d core:

Morissey - Hamonic
Hanifin - Pionk

Why Flames might do this:
Flames want to move one or both of Brodie/Hamonic rather than let them walk for nothing and thus request Winnipeg include one of them to grease the wheels of a trade. Flames also have a weird long term LD situation going on with Gio/Hanifin/Valimaki/Kylington and our long term RD situation is kinda stupid too with Brodie/Hamonic/Andersson/Stone. A long term RD option with potential to pair with Gio/Valimaki behind Andersson would be nice. Hanifin would mainly be moved for a long term top 4 option at RD, but nearly as equal, we want the 1st straight up as currency for potentially other long term roster moves and we want to get value for our dmen UFA.

Flames walk out with the following top 4 d core and futures for flexibility:

Gio - Brodie
Valimaki - Niku

Worth discussing/refining further? Or... grab your torches and pitch forks from both sides and chase me out of the thread?
Hanafin might be of interest, but we wouldn't add much if anything for Hamonic. We can just wait for him to hit UFA. It would be a definite no to adding either Niku or Samberg.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Hanafin might be of interest, but we wouldn't add much if anything for Hamonic. We can just wait for him to hit UFA. It would be a definite no to adding either Niku or Samberg.

That's fair.

Is it a polite no? or are you secretly pulling out a weapon as you reject the conceptual offer that was poking around Niku and Samberg?

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
That's fair.

Is it a polite no? or are you secretly pulling out a weapon as you reject the conceptual offer?
No, for me, I kind of like Hanafin, so if we could build a hockey trade around that, I could see it possibly happening. I just can't see Hamonic, unless he's coming really cheap, Niku or Samberg being involved. The Jets need all the young up and coming D they can get their hands on. We can't be trading any away.

Reactions: snowkiddin and Fig

jrs

Oct 11, 2017
chevy baby, noooo... don't do it again. Nothing out there will make it all better and stick.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Brady Skjei for 1st rounder and some prospect.

I think I've heard Skjei's name come up a couple times by NYR fans. Why are you willing to part from him for a likely non-top-10 first rounder? He's a youngish D signed through his prime that seems to be able to produce 5v5, seems to be a serviceable top 4 D and is paid like one. Being a rebuilding team, NYR are not pushing the cap limit either so I doubt his contract is all that problematic.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Unless Chevy makes some miraculous hockey type trade, he needs to be slapped in the head if he trades that pick again.
The jets aren’t one rental away from being champs this year.

Digital Kid

Jun 5, 2015
Calgary
This year's 1st Round pick will be between 10 and 15 overall. Can't be a rental for that. Just been an odd and unlucky year overall. Need to start re-stocking the farm now as there are a LOT of players whose contracts expire this season. Just looking at CapFriendly and the patchwork quilt the team is this year (again because of the Byfuglien situation and injuries) and there is no way that pick should be used for a rental. The gradual collapse down the standings has begun now because half the team is an AHL roster. Backup goalie, defencemen and forwards all needed - pick the best draftee available in June with the pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hunter368

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I think I've heard Skjei's name come up a couple times by NYR fans. Why are you willing to part from him for a likely non-top-10 first rounder? He's a youngish D signed through his prime that seems to be able to produce 5v5, seems to be a serviceable top 4 D and is paid like one. Being a rebuilding team, NYR are not pushing the cap limit either so I doubt his contract is all that problematic.

He hasn't been as great as we expected him, plus Cap issues, contract issues and a lot of good prospects in the system pushing their way.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
This year's 1st Round pick will be between 10 and 15 overall. Can't be a rental for that. Just been an odd and unlucky year overall. Need to start re-stocking the farm now as there are a LOT of players whose contracts expire this season. Just looking at CapFriendly and the patchwork quilt the team is this year (again because of the Byfuglien situation and injuries) and there is no way that pick should be used for a rental. The gradual collapse down the standings has begun now because half the team is an AHL roster. Backup goalie, defencemen and forwards all needed - pick the best draftee available in June with the pick.

Would Jets have any interest in Manson from the Ducks for that first? I may get crucified for offering Manson. But I believe in this draft whole heartedly. That spot can get someone who I really am high on.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wild might have an extra really good D to trade, but I can't see them doing it with WPG, nor for a late'ish 1st only. DO NOT want Dumba or Brodin playing for the Jets.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Wild might have an extra really good D to trade, but I can't see them doing it with WPG, nor for a late'ish 1st only. DO NOT want Dumba or Brodin playing for the Jets.

10 to 15 isn’t that late of a pick. This isn’t like last years draft. There’s some very very good solid prospects in that range. I’ll keep reiterating my statement. This one is as good as McDavids.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00