News: Jets open to moving First round pick 2020 per, GM Cheveldayoff

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Yeah, no deal for any 30 plus UFA to be rental makes any sense. It would have to be a slightly bigger deal aimed at a more long term solution to the weaknesses. Enough of the sacrificing firsts for bandaids that don’t re-sign.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Petry is our top 2 defensman so trading him is out of the question. If we had a few kids ready to push him out, buy all means, but trading a top 2 to replace him with a slew of 5th defensman is a stupid move that even Bbinz wont do.

There are a ton of "prospects" and other then Romanov, that has "potential", all the other prospects and current roster players are unlikely to go beyond the lower end of "top 6".
With their decimated forward group, the Habs are not a playoff team even with Petry. I really like Petry, but if Montreal can get a first rounder for him they should pull the trigger.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Hockey trade is of course possible including a 1st rd pick for a long term asset. Rental trade this year is a comically bad idea........that would be like just throwing a 1st pick in the garbage.

Reactions: KingBogo

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
In reality that’s exactly what he did say in a slightly different way. Read between the lines, he said yeh anything is possible but I’m not saying it’s likely. Aka a none answer.......Chevy is masterful in his media responses and is well known for saying nothing.

thats not what I got from it. He continued on talking about draft picks in Wiebs second tweet. It’s like he wanted to talk about it. With an explanation. I would have ended it within 2 sentences.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I'll throw the name out there and we could fill in the gaps:

Brady Skjei

Fits some of the wants others have expressed

• Top 4 D
  • Multiple years on deal
  • Cap hit is reasonable
He can slide right behind Morrissey. He has played on his off-side in the past so he could slide in on the right if needed. Buff comes back and he can play with him.

Rangers have a gluttony on LHD prospects and young guys pushing for spots.

Skjei for 2020 1st +

On top of it, obviously Gorton and Chevy have made moves recently, so there is a good relationship as is.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
thats not what I got from it. He continued on talking about draft picks in Wiebs second tweet. It’s like he wanted to talk about it. With an explanation. I would have ended it within 2 sentences.
You have to appreciate the Winnipeg context. We have Buff suspended and his $7.6 M cap space tied up. In the meantime we have 3 AHLers playing regular minutes on the blueline. Chevy is telling the fan base he is looking to improve things. IMO this shouldn't be interpreted that they are TD buyers.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

Read his words literally.......he literally says yeh it’s possible but not saying it’s likely and if it was the right situation. Do you think at this point reading all my points above this is the “right situation” for a rental trade? You realize this team has four bottom pairing D playing every game on the roster? a short while ago the Jets were playing a roster with 20+ million in cap space injured & not playing? Your applying your own interpretation to his words and trying To find hidden meaning that he doesn’t say.

But by all means read into what you like, I’m just giving readers context and pointing out exactly what he said. As multi of us Jets fans have said, trading a 1st for a long term asset is very possible but trading a 1st for a rental is a terrible idea.

Reactions: Fire Chevy

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I'll throw the name out there and we could fill in the gaps:

Brady Skjei

Fits some of the wants others have expressed

• Top 4 D
  • Multiple years on deal
  • Cap hit is reasonable
He can slide right behind Morrissey. He has played on his off-side in the past so he could slide in on the right if needed. Buff comes back and he can play with him.

Rangers have a gluttony on LHD prospects and young guys pushing for spots.

Skjei for 2020 1st +

On top of it, obviously Gorton and Chevy have made moves recently, so there is a good relationship as is.

Here is a logical hockey trade that could be considered.

Only problem is the Jets likely don’t make a move until the legal status of Buff is resolved.....but otherwise good thought.

Reactions: JimmyG89

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Read his words literally.......he literally says yeh it’s possible but not saying it’s likely and if it was the right situation. Do you think at this point reading all my points above this is the “right situation” for a rental trade? You realize this team has four bottom pairing D playing every game on the roster? Short a short while ago the Jets were playing a roster with 20+ million in cap space injured & not playing? Your applying your own interpretation to his words and trying To find hidden meaning that he doesn’t say.

But by all means read into what you like, I’m just giving readers context and pointing out exactly what he said. As multi of us Jets fans have said, trading a 1st for a long term asset is very possible but trading a 1st for a rental is a terrible idea.

I don’t know Jets situation. That’s why I created the thread. So we can get a understanding. And I’m not trying to give nails on the chalk board. But this is the first GM I’ve heard this season talking about draft picks. Maybe it’s wrong? Maybe it’s right. It’s atleast worth a discussion for Pete sake.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
You have to appreciate the Winnipeg context. We have Buff suspended and his $7.6 M cap space tied up. In the meantime we have 3 AHLers playing regular minutes on the blueline. Chevy is telling the fan base he is looking to improve things. IMO this shouldn't be interpreted that they are TD buyers.

Heck three of our regular D are literally waiver wire pickups.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I don’t know Jets situation. That’s why I created the thread. So we can get a understanding. And I’m not trying to give nails on the chalk board. But this is the first GM I’ve heard this season talking about draft picks. Maybe it’s wrong? Maybe it’s right. It’s atleast worth a discussion for Pete sake.

Discussion is what we’re having this entire thread. You wanted to understand the Jets situation multi of us have given you that context so you know the exact status of the team.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Kreider Fast and Andersson to Jets for Kristian Vesalainen, David Gustafsson, Adam Lowry and 1st in 2020??

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Heck three of our regular D are literally waiver wire pickups.
Yeah our backend is showing its holes. IMO there is growing pressure on Chevy to make a deal for a defenseman, but it will be for a young player with team control that is part of the future. Any offers meeting this criteria will be evaluated with interest.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Discussion is what we’re having this entire thread. You wanted to understand the Jets situation multi of us have given you that context so you know the exact status of the team.

Well I just feel like your yelling at me for my own ideas. That’s what I took from the conversation of Jets GM. Others as well. That’s why they are posting trade offers. Taken out of context? Maybe. But like I pointed across the board numerous times. This GM was the first one talking about its draft picks almost 2 months away from deadline day. It’s a bit exciting before the month of February to speculate.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Yeah our backend is showing its holes. IMO there is growing pressure on Chevy to make a deal for a defenseman, but it will be for a young player with team control that is part of the future. Any offers meeting this criteria will be evaluated with interest.

Exactly

Either a hockey trade will present itself or he will wait till the summer when hockey trades are easier to happen or will sign a FA D from the good UFA crop this summer.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
For the casual fan, Wheeler is probably the most popular player on the team. He won't be going anywhere.

Yup heart and soul player filling a huge need at 2C going at a PPG rate......sucks we can't trade him. Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00