News: Jets open to moving First round pick 2020 per, GM Cheveldayoff

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018

I know its a few days old?? But what would Jets be looking at for its first this draft. If they go the Statsny route again?

WiebeAthletic is the Jets beat writer by the way.

I know alot of team's will be looking at that pick, or picks in general. What does Winnipeg need?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Nah... we have a tight salary, plus we lost both Hayes and Stastny. I didn't think Hayes was a good fit, although Stastny was.

I'm in if it's for a star RHD defenseman like Doughty but no star D are on the market.

I mean I'd be interested in maybe Ristolainen at a good cost because he's a RHD and seeing what Huddy did with Pionk, Bogosian and many other D. But I still see potential in Ristolainen, plus with all the Finns in Winnipeg he'd likely be very comfortable in Winnipeg.

Then again, Vatanen may be on the market, but I can't speak on behalf of the Devils, let alone their fans. But I also wouldn't want to trade with Shero because he'd likely turn the trade into Vatanen for 1st 2020, 3rd and something like Jansen Harkins.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Alec Martinez, Tyler Toffoli, Jeff Carter, Trevor Lewis, and Kyle Clifford are all available.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Petry or tatar maybe but right now I think that habs aren’t in the seller’s chair....yet

I was thinking along the lines of Manson from Anaheim perspective. But it would be very difficult because he’s our best RHD. But that draft pick in this draft, depending where they choose from could be a solidified game changer. Also gives Anaheim leverage to move in the top 3 if they draft mid teens along with our pick.

But apparently Jets fans want Strictly defenseman. I was gonna throw a forward to em. I’m curious if Kings would jump in on this.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I think people need to read his reply carefully, quote "If the circumstances are right. That doesn't mean it's likely, but it's remains an option". Meaning:

- Depending on the standings

- Depending on injuries (amongst the most games missed in the NHL this year, especially if you include Buff)

- Depending on the legal situation with Buff

- Depending on the situation with Buff cap post legal resolution.

- Jets complete D core & cap restructuring this season.

- Jets aren't a contender this year, heck I've said since June they were a bubble team after all theses changes and before the surprise Buff situation & huge number of injuries.

- No UFA type of trade with the return of a 1st pick is going to make the Jets a contender this year. None

- Only chance I see the Jets realistically trading their 1st Rd pick is for a player that fills a critical hole on their team (hint top 4 D) who also has multi years of team control on his contract. UFA's need not apply.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
I think people need to read his reply carefully, quote "If the circumstances are right. That doesn't mean it's likely, but it's remains an option". Meaning:

- Depending on the standings

- Depending on injuries (amongst the most games missed in the NHL this year, especially if you include Buff)

- Depending on the legal situation with Buff

- Depending on the situation with Buff cap post legal resolution.

- Jets complete D core & cap restructuring this season.

- Jets aren't a contender this year, heck I've said since June they were a bubble team after all theses changes and before the surprise Buff situation & huge number of injuries.

- No UFA type of trade with the return of a 1st pick is going to make the Jets a contender this year. None

- Only chance I see the Jets realistically trading their 1st Rd pick is for a player that fills a critical hole on their team (hint top 4 D) who also has multi years of team control on his contract. UFA's need not apply.

I just posted that they are open to it. Meaning it’s not out of the question. Maybe I could have worded it better. But that was my interpretation of what he was saying.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I just posted that they are open to it. Meaning it’s not out of the question. Maybe I could have worded it better. But that was my interpretation of what he was saying.

My post didn't say anything about your posting being wrong......I just pointed out his carefully worded response and helped people who don't follow the team on a daily basis to understand the context of it. All good.

Reactions: BHD

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
There are teams that should give up their first for an impact rental, but the Jets aren’t one of them. They’ve been a nice story this year but there’s too much working against them. Keep the pick and move on hoping your luck improves next year.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
My post didn't say anything about your posting being wrong......I just pointed out his carefully worded response and helped people who don't follow the team on a daily basis to understand the context of it. All good.

Don’t you find it a little bit weird that we have a GM talking about moving it’s first barely half way through the season. While we’re not even close to deadline yet.

Makes me think IMO Jets would strongly consider moving it in the next few weeks. I mean he was open to talking about it. Normally GMs will turn down that conversation if it wasn’t on there mind.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
There are teams that should give up their first for an impact rental, but the Jets aren’t one of them. They’ve been a nice story this year but there’s too much working against them. Keep the pick and move on hoping your luck improves next year.

Agreed

Giving up assets for a guy like Petry who is 32 yrs old and one year away is peeing up a rope and a total waste of assets. Not b/c Petry isn’t a good player, it’s b/c he’s one year away from bolting to UFA, 32 yrs old and Petry alone doesn’t make the Jets a contender or even close. Not to mention massive man games missed to injuries this year and Buff legal status is yet to be resolved.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Petry is our top 2 defensman so trading him is out of the question. If we had a few kids ready to push him out, buy all means, but trading a top 2 to replace him with a slew of 5th defensman is a stupid move that even Bbinz wont do.

There are a ton of "prospects" and other then Romanov, that has "potential", all the other prospects and current roster players are unlikely to go beyond the lower end of "top 6".

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Don’t you find it a little bit weird that we have a GM talking about moving it’s first barely half way through the season. While we’re not even close to deadline yet.

Makes me think IMO Jets would strongly consider moving it in the next few weeks. I mean he was open to talking about it. Normally GMs will turn down that conversation if it wasn’t on there mind.
But then we are talking a hockey trade by the Jets and not a rental. If a team is willing to trade a young top 4 RHD with team control for the Jets 1st as the main piece coming back then Chevy may see that as a worthwhile gamble to upgrade his defence long term.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

He was asked the direct question and what do you expect him to say with a core of vets on the team wanting to make the playoffs and still annoyed how last season ended? You think he’s going to say no chance I’m trading my 1st rd pick or you think he’s going to say yeah it’s possible in the right situation and follow that up with immediately saying “not saying it’s likely”.

Reactions: BHD

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
But then we are talking a hockey trade by the Jets and not a rental. If a team is willing to trade a young top 4 RHD with team control for the Jets 1st as the main piece coming back then Chevy may see that as a worthwhile gamble to upgrade his defence long term.

Hockey trade is totally possible, I would even say very possible. Rental trade involving a 1st rd pick is crazy talk this year.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
He was asked the direct question and what do you expect him to say with a core of vets on the team wanting to make the playoffs and still annoyed how last season ended? You think he’s going to say no chance I’m trading my 1st rd pick or you think he’s going to say yeah it’s possible in the right situation and follow that up with immediately saying “not saying it’s likely”.

I would expect em to say. We aren’t down that path yet. I believe in this team, and it’s capabilities. Trading a pick isn’t even on my mind at this moment. Next question.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I would expect em to say. We aren’t down that path yet. I believe in this team, and it’s capabilities. Trading a pick isn’t even on my mind at this moment. Next question.

In reality that’s exactly what he did say in a slightly different way. Read between the lines, he said yeh anything is possible but I’m not saying it’s likely. Aka a none answer.......Chevy is masterful in his media responses and is well known for saying nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->