Status
Not open for further replies.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
^ Kal Tire.

They aren't the cheapest, but if you buy there they will change over the winter/summer tires seasonally at no additional charge, and they do offer storage (not free AFAIK).

That's actually a pretty good deal with the free change over. Most places charge around $60 to change over the tires even if they are on separate rims. I've bought from Kal Tire before as well and will vouch for the one on Pembina as being good to deal with.

Car dealerships will usually store/swap for you if you buy your tires there as well. It was a madhouse at Birchwood Nissan a couple of weeks back.

FWIW I have an impact driver and change over my tires myself but then I have room to store them. With the driver I can change them over in under a half hour (yes, I have a torque wrench as well).

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
That's actually a pretty good deal with the free change over. Most places charge around $60 to change over the tires even if they are on separate rims. I've bought from Kal Tire before as well and will vouch for the one on Pembina as being good to deal with.

Car dealerships will usually store/swap for you if you buy your tires there as well. It was a madhouse at Birchwood Nissan a couple of weeks back.

FWIW I have an impact driver and change over my tires myself but then I have room to store them. With the driver I can change them over in under a half hour (yes, I have a torque wrench as well).

I was going to suggest to find a friend with an impact wrench and do it yourself. It's easy, and good practice if you ever have a roadside blowout.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Man so AA Ron Hernandez allegedly kills himself in his prison cell. People close to him are saying despite his faults this is not something he would do? What a mess.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Yeah I'm still using the car's jack. I'll probably buy something faster this fall. I miss the old school car jacks.

I picked up a pretty decent aluminum floor jack from Costco many years back that I lug to autocrosses and the track - makes the job of lifting the car very, very quick and simple.

Princess Auto should have some reasonably priced and good floor jacks too.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I do my winter wheel/tire swap in less than 10m.

I do have a lift and shop tools, however. ;)
Or you could do what i do and park your car for the winter :laugh: Seriously though i still haven't brought my car out because our roads are a joke right now , could we get more potholes and sand and crap on our roads. :rant:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Yeah but it's bordering on unfair when music comedian is not only laugh-out-loud funny but also musically more talented than ~half of the assorted top 40.

See: Tim Minchin, Stephen Lynch

SM17

Nov 25, 2005
Moving to Winnipeg this summer, what are the best sites to look at for rentals??

SM17

Nov 25, 2005
Totally depends. Where are you going to be working? And are you talking about apartment rental, or would you be looking to rent a house?

Will be working at HSC/St. Boniface hospital. Looking to rent a 1 bedroom apartment!

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Went to go shopping at Superstore today and was told at the door it was cash only. Pin pads had been down for a couple of hours and the problem was Canada wide. Oh, but I was welcome to get cash out of their handy ATM. Uh, no thanks. I'm not paying any fees when I can just come back tomorrow. Anything I needed, I just picked up at Sobey's.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Went to go shopping at Superstore today and was told at the door it was cash only. Pin pads had been down for a couple of hours and the problem was Canada wide. Oh, but I was welcome to get cash out of their handy ATM. Uh, no thanks. I'm not paying any fees when I can just come back tomorrow. Anything I needed, I just picked up at Sobey's.

This happens far too often. We got lunch the last time it happened because people were po'd.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Will be working at HSC/St. Boniface hospital. Looking to rent a 1 bedroom apartment!

Downtown is central to both the HSC and St. Boniface hospitals. How are you getting around? You plan to drive, bus, walk? Where are you coming from? Winnipeg is a bit rough compared to most Canadian cities. There are 3 downtown residential areas you might want to consider.

The Exchange District has a lot of condos and a few apartment buildings. They're primarily in renovated warehouses. It's a hip and trendy area with lots of restaurants and bars, and some shopping. The Porter House on McDermot and Rorie is just starting to rent - a good example of the type of thing available in the Exchange. It's probably 2 km walk from there to either HSC or St. B. https://www.walkscore.com/score/165-mcdermot-ave-winnipeg-mb-canada.

Central downtown (near the MTS Centre and Convention Centre) has quite a few high rise apartments: Holiday Towers, Antares/Place Louis Riel, The Avenue on Portage. I think TNSE is renting some of the unsold condos at Glasshouse, which is across from MTS Centre on Portage. Brand new building...but I'd generally avoid north of Portage Avenue, aside from Glasshouse. It's a bit sketchy.

Broadway-Assiniboine is on the south end of downtown, between the Assiniboine River and Broadway. Lots of older apartment blocks in here - character, 3-storey, 100 year old brick buildings. It's a pretty quiet area and there's some nice greenspace along the river (and the Legislature is right there too). It's not all old character - there are a quite a few high rises. 300 Assiniboine is brand new and right on the river. There's a "Now Leasing" sign that's been up since the fall, but I don't know when people are going to start moving in (or if they have already). https://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/ca/300-assiniboine-ave

There's not going to be much right close to HSC - that place is smack dab in one of the poorest neighbourhoods in the city.

St. Boniface has some decent residential close by though. New condos along Tache and there are some apartments in Norwood and along Marion/Goulet.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
God I hate flying with other people. It's literally the only thing in the world that makes me anxious. My father hasn't even packed yet (10pm) and we leave very early tomorrow morning. He's the kinda guy that leaves everything to the last minute, makes everyone late, then takes his stress out on everyone. Going to Canada by myself, going through TSA, going Raro etc? Absolute DREAM.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

This happens far too often. We got lunch the last time it happened because people were po'd.

Probably the most annoying thing for businesses is credit card fees. In places like restaurants and grocery stores where margins are really skinny that 2% is massive and really adds up. I want to go back and find the first businessman who ever agreed to pay the fee and shoot him. Ok let's get this strait you want me to take your plastic so you can charge some schmuck 18% on his/her outstanding balance and charge me 2% at the same time....**** off how about I charge you 2% and you clear 16%? Ok ok I get that is insane and nobody agrees with me but it makes sense to me. The problem is CC purchases as a % of total transactions has gone way up due to the reward programs so it's more and more problematic.

I admire retailers like Costco who say **** off to the CC companies or sell the rights to exclusively to a company.....now I get that it's a pain in the ass to the customers but it takes balls and adds allot of cash to their bottom line.

In a case like this though where they are asking for cash only because their interact crashes that is nuts.......nobody uses money anymore :laugh:

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Probably the most annoying thing for businesses is credit card fees. In places like restaurants and grocery stores where margins are really skinny that 2% is massive and really adds up. I want to go back and find the first businessman who ever agreed to pay the fee and shoot him. Ok let's get this strait you want me to take your plastic so you can charge some schmuck 18% on his/her outstanding balance and charge me 2% at the same time....**** off how about I charge you 2% and you clear 16%? Ok ok I get that is insane and nobody agrees with me but it makes sense to me. The problem is CC purchases as a % of total transactions has gone way up due to the reward programs so it's more and more problematic.
I admire retailers like Costco who say **** off to the CC compin the ass to the customers but it takes balls and adds allot of cash to their bottom line.

In a case like this though where they are asking for cash only because their interact crashes that is nuts.......nobody uses money anymore :laugh:

You'd be surprised how many people pay in cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad