OT: Jets Lounge: Now buying Kaopectate in bulk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Sc9xefV.gif

I like how at the end of this, he completely tosses his bike over the side and bails, landing on his feet. Very impressive! :nod:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
If I can get a better job next year and my restricted license (learners permit five years cuz public transport) I'm so taking up skate lessons.

How is access to ice in that great country of yours?

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Outdoor rinks should open soon. As far as I know, they just need constant freezing temps to get the ice going.

I'd check out Play It Again Sports, they've got some used stuff you could look at. They also have Black Friday sales this weekend.

I'd suggest investing in some new skates though. They'll heat up the boots and form them to your feet. Uncomfortable skates are such a pain in the ass and it really hurts if you have the wrong size. Maybe if you buy a used pair you can go somewhere to get them "baked" and fitted, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for the info! I decided to just get everything new, are there any good skate brands I should be looking at? I'm not really looking to break bank. My top end would be around $200.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
How is access to ice in that great country of yours?

In my city of a million people we have a grad total of two rinks. And I think there are maybe three more in the South Island. There's no such thing as a frozen lake. Smaller temporary public rinks get setup in some cities for people to muck around on but they're definitely not for hockey. None of it is free.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Thanks for the info! I decided to just get everything new, are there any good skate brands I should be looking at? I'm not really looking to break bank. My top end would be around $200.

Check out 'The Rink' board on here. They've got some great buying guides etc

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Good luck finding new skates for under 200.

In my city of a million people we have a grad total of two rinks. And I think there are maybe three more in the South Island. There's no such thing as a frozen lake. Smaller temporary public rinks get setup in some cities for people to muck around on but they're definitely not for hockey. None of it is free.

Meh hockey is dependant on indoor ice now anyways. Outdoor ice isn't really used much at.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

Meh hockey is dependant on indoor ice now anyways. Outdoor ice isn't really used much at.

True on Holden's second comment (regarding the dependence on indoor ice) but I can see three outdoor rinks in people's back yards just looking out my kitchen window. There are also three at the local community club and probably another 50 backyard rinks of varying sizes in my neighborhood.

It's quite a treat to fly into Winnipeg in January and look down to see just how many rinks there are outdoors in this city. It's bootiful.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
True on Holden's second comment (regarding the dependence on indoor ice) but I can see three outdoor rinks in people's back yards just looking out my kitchen window. There are also three at the local community club and probably another 50 backyard rinks of varying sizes in my neighborhood.

It's quite a treat to fly into Winnipeg in January and look down to see just how many rinks there are outdoors in this city. It's bootiful.

The shocking thing is is how many of them aren't used anymore. Sure, some of them get good action like Tyndall and Assiniboia West but I remember when I was a teen we'd have to drive to like 4 rinks to find one that wasn't overrun. Now we have to drive to 4 rinks to find enough guys for a game.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
The shocking thing is is how many of them aren't used anymore. Sure, some of them get good action like Tyndall and Assiniboia West but I remember when I was a teen we'd have to drive to like 4 rinks to find one that wasn't overrun. Now we have to drive to 4 rinks to find enough guys for a game.

Yore old. Video games killed the hockey star.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
I don't remember seeing many when I flew out of Winnipeg, but when I landed in Montreal I think it was snowing?? The clouds that we descended through were very grey brown and everything was kinda hazy but there were still tons of people just swirling around like ants on outdoor rinks. I thought that was pretty cool.

We've just got grass all year round.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
And then there was that one time the rock was in an episode of Star Trek:

How did I not know this exists? He even gives her a Rock Bottom at the end complete with the peoples eyebrow. Amazing. Made my day lol.

Is it wrong that the fight sequence was actually better then most episodes of RAW?

Derfel*

Private healthcare in Alberta...

Sort of - it's more that the government hates regulation, so there's no "schedule of fees" published, and dentists can charge whatever they want. But on top of that, there's no easy way to compare dentists' costs as they keep them pretty close to the vest and avoid telling you what they will charge.

I had to get a crown put on yesterday (or prepped for one, at least) - my other crown in Winnipeg cost me $1050 total, all lab fees in. So far here it's cost be $1350, and there's still a lab fee that is likely to be $200+.

My benefits only cover 50%, which is lower than the 80% I had in Manitoba.

That being said - I picked up a bottle of wine on sale for $5.99 last night!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad