OT: Jets Lounge: Calling football "soccer" is bad form, even if it's Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Does anyone have an understanding of the blackout rules for Rogers GameCenter Live. I am going to Florida and I was going to purchase a subscription so I could watch the Jets. I have been told that it won't work because as long as the game is on TV in Wpg (which will be the location of my subscription account) the games will be blacked out no matter where I am located. This makes no sense to me. Does anyone know how this works?
Grab yourself a slingbox while you are down there. They seem to have quit selling them in Canada. You hook it up to your cable or satellite box and stream your own channels anywhere you go on your travels. It won’t do you any good for this trip but will work well for you in the future. My slingbox has worked from China to Australia and all parts in between. If you are in a hotel you can bring along a chrome cast and cast the game with the hotels wifi right to the TV.
Slingbox.com (Canada)

Jetland162702

Pup-peroni Junkie
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Grab yourself a slingbox while you are down there. They seem to have quit selling them in Canada. You hook it up to your cable or satellite box and stream your own channels anywhere you go on your travels. It won’t do you any good for this trip but will work well for you in the future. My slingbox has worked from China to Australia and all parts in between. If you are in a hotel you can bring along a chrome cast and cast the game with the hotels wifi right to the TV.
Slingbox.com (Canada)

Thank you blues10. I actually thought of a Slingbox but abandoned that idea when I saw they were no longer available in Canada. That would be the ideal solution.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Does anyone have one of those smaller electric snowblowers? Just wondering if they work at all for your basic snow clearing or if you are just better off investing in a regular gas powered blower.

I did not enjoy shoveling us out last night lol

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Does anyone have one of those smaller electric snowblowers? Just wondering if they work at all for your basic snow clearing or if you are just better off investing in a regular gas powered blower.

I got a snow clearing service years ago and I've never regretted spending the few hundred dollars it costs me each season. They also cut our grass in summer. And people clean our house. I guess this is why I lack character. :laugh:

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Life imitates art far more than art imitates life. - Oscar Wilde :laugh:

WARMINGTON: Store owner fends off robber with bananas

So I decided this week to watch Flying Circus from the start (they put it on Netflix last year, I only saw a few episodes when I was a kid along with the 3 movies). I'm halfway through series 1, way ahead of its time. Just watched self defense against fresh fruit nearly killed myself seeing you post this. Other early standouts for me: "Confuse-a-cat", "The Larch", "Mouse Problem" and the UFO turning people into Scotsmen.

I've been randomly saying "No. 1...The LARCH" around the house this week and had to explain it to my wife lol.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I got a snow clearing service years ago and I've never regretted spending the few hundred dollars it costs me each season. They also cut our grass in summer. And people clean our house. I guess this is why I lack character. :laugh:

I actually enjoy mowing the lawn, and since this is our first house I am really going to take pride in my first summer taking care of my lawn. But this snow shoveling, f*** this noise lol

Reactions: Robinson2187

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Put the money you'd spend on a mostly useless powered shovel into a real snowblower. You won't regret it. :nod:

Make sure it's a two stage. Even a small one will make short work of snow.
This. The electric shovels are ok for an inch or 2 on decks or walkways but you'll be there all day if it's anything more than that. 2 stage is the only way to go.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Put the money you'd spend on a mostly useless powered shovel into a real snowblower. You won't regret it. :nod:

I'll vouch for this as well. I only have a 24" snowblower but it works well enough. I wish I'd bought a 27". Our driveway is pretty wide for the suburbs and quite long as well. The 24 is still a lot of work to manhandle around but soooo much better than shoveling.

That said we had a snow service last year and renewed it this year due to health reasons but I'm expecting to be back behind my rig next year. Honestly I find the snowblower to be fun. Get a pair of goggles and I'm usually out there helping neighbors and doing part of the street as well.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg

I wouldn't recommend a power shovel or anything electric if you do more than a sidewalk or deck.

If you don't want the bulk/storage requirements of a two-stage blower and you have an "average" driveway you can consider a snowthrower. The more money you spend the better product you get. The Toro 721 does a great job, and the Honda models also do driveways well. Honda is pricey though, as is the Toro 721 but they're great. One problem with the good snowthrowers are the good ones start to push the price of a decent on sale two-stage blower. But like I said, depends on bulk/storage requirements.

When in doubt, there are tons of YT videos showing throwing distance, effectiveness in deeper snow, etc of throwers online. I use a two-stage blower myself, but a neighbour uses a Toro thrower without issue on his driveway.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

flamethrower-melting-snow-Image-courtesy-of-WSET-640x480.jpg

It is two stages. Stage 1 is for warming up your hands, stage 2 gets me snow clearin'.

Jetland162702

Pup-peroni Junkie
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg

I concur with all of the above snowblower posts. Get a two stage, gas powered blower and I would recommend at least 8 HP. One more thing, I bought mine at the end of the season (old one tanked) so my choices were limited. The blower I liked came with hand warmers which, at the time, I thought was a complete waste of money but selection was limited so I bought it. Now I LOVE THE HAND WARMERS.

Reactions: LucianoBorsato

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
It's looking like this will be purchase for next winter. Hand warmers, damn! The future is here. Are there usually good sales on snowblowers at end of or off season?

Jetland162702

Pup-peroni Junkie
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
It's looking like this will be purchase for next winter. Hand warmers, damn! The future is here. Are there usually good sales on snowblowers at end of or off season?

Actually my advice would be do not wait until the end of the season. While you might save some money, your selection will be limited and you might get stuck buying handwarmers like I did. :sarcasm: :laugh:

Reactions: LucianoBorsato

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Well, modern New Zealand is 179 years old today. Was gonna stay home and watch the Jets game but 26 degrees and primo surf conditions are too good to resist!

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Been a home owner for almost 30 years this year bought my first snowblower after putting off for years, what a dummy I was :nod:
I've held out for almost that long as well . Was going to take the plunge but considering my son just turned snow shovelling age, I'll wait a bit longer . Especially since I'll probably have to buy him a new lawn mower this spring :laugh::laugh:

Lars65

Useless Git
Sep 6, 2011
Winnipeg
Dunno guys, I have one of those new electric snowblowers (not an electric shovel) and it works great. Ego is the brand. Have a good sized driveway and it did just fine. I wouldn't recommend it for huge rural properties, perhaps, but since it literally weighs half what a gas one does, it was a lot less work. Plus, it's powerful enough for the plough furrows, and requires practically no maintenance.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
They have robot lawn mowers now. Can the robot snow blower be on the horizon? Yes, they have to work out that whole pesky issue of possibly Fargoing small animals and children, but really, neither should be wandering around off leash anyway. :nod:

Reactions: Ducky10
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad