Post-Game Talk: Jets Lose Tank On 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Scott Kosmachuk looks better than expected, funny how some guys show better in the NHL than AHL, Koma actually has looked better than more than a few Jets forwards in his two games so far.

I'd like to see a few guys from the Moose get a chance with the big club this year, think someone like DeLeo or Brassard should get a look see you just never know.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Stafford was absolutely brutal. That was his worst game since the playoffs last april.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Likely the case - I always post the save percentage, it isn't a comment on his play at all.

How did Wheeler look?

Wheeler's frustrating at times. He has such skill and energy, but he also makes some really bad plays. I've given up expecting that he'll actually hit the net with one of his clappers on the PP. It's almost always high and wide and out (of the zone).

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
Wheeler's frustrating at times. He has such skill and energy, but he also makes some really bad plays. I've given up expecting that he'll actually hit the net with one of his clappers on the PP. It's almost always high and wide and out (of the zone).

Can't blame him. My care factor would be pretty low in his shoes. The guy still gives it his all, which is great. But I don't blame him for trying to get through 5 guys, or blasting shots wide. Guy is wasting his prime years away playing for a team that aside from 1 year of 5, has not put much effort into becoming better. And is now building for another 3-5 years away. Have no idea how him, Buff, Little, Stafford, Enstrom, Perreault are doing it. At least Buff has a cup I suppose.

White Out 403*

Wheelers possession metrics and classic scoring stats likely make him a top 5 player in his position. He's so far down the line of our problems it's not even funny

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Wheelers possession metrics and classic scoring stats likely make him a top 5 player in his position. He's so far down the line of our problems it's not even funny

Yup.
If in fact we are going for a "hybrid" approach of old core + new core (as opposed to a complete rebuild), then Wheels is the exact kind of guy I want to be holding on to.

But to be fair to Mathmew Purrrr Oh, I'm not sure he was implying anything more than not being impressed with Wheels' line over the last few games.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yup.
If in fact we are going for a "hybrid" approach of old core + new core (as opposed to a complete rebuild), then Wheels is the exact kind of guy I want to be holding on to.

But to be fair to Mathmew Purrrr Oh, I'm not sure he was implying anything more than not being impressed with Wheels' line over the last few games.

Agree with this. I love Wheels.

Little, Wheeler and Buff are the right choices to keep from the older core as the team transitions to a younger core.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
Yup.

yep, he's great. just not tonight.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
If they would've worn their away whites they would've won that game. Who's the dummy who forgot to do the laundry?

The hardest shot of the night might've been the projectile that flew out of Buff's nose while he was sitting on the bench, that was something.

oh well another one bites the dust.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
A few thoughts:

I actually start believing that the staff and team doesn't play to win anymore. They play to show they're competitive, give younger guys a shot who want to make a name for themselves and play a good hockey game for at least 30 minutes every game. They can achieve everything they would want that way (like giving more ice time to players like Burmi and Dano to see what they achieve with top 6 minutes), score some goals to proof they are still able to do it, don't allow too many goals because it doesn't feel and look good and if you lose the game after 60 minutes, who cares.

Sure, individually, players want to score a goal, make a nice play, a good save, maybe even outshoot the opponent. Wheeler represents my thoughts the most. Ever since Ladd was traded and Little got injured and Wheels was pretty much the only top forward left, I think he stopped playing at 100%. He sure looks a lot more coasting out there. He has 2 goals and 3 assists over the last 10 games. Pretty "meh" stats for his standards and TOI.

Dano looked a lot more comfortable on the ice after scoring his first. I'm quite confident we'll see a big step up once he found his place on this team. Might not be this season because the team and roster is all over the place but giving him top 6 minutes until the end of the season would be a good idea IMO. Let him build confidence on his new team which he can take over into the summer. He'll be looking forward to next season.

Halischuk once again showed why he is our best prototypical 4th line player IMO.

Burmistrov has 1 goal and 4 assists over the last 10 games with 15 shots on goal.

In his last 10 games before those 10 games, he had 1 goal 0 assists and 13 shots on goal (4 out of those 13 came against NJD which is really a lot for his standards this season).

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
A few thoughts:

I actually start believing that the staff and team doesn't play to win anymore. They play to show they're competitive, give younger guys a shot who want to make a name for themselves and play a good hockey game for at least 30 minutes every game. They can achieve everything they would want that way (like giving more ice time to players like Burmi and Dano to see what they achieve with top 6 minutes), score some goals to proof they are still able to do it, don't allow too many goals because it doesn't feel and look good and if you lose the game after 60 minutes, who cares.

Sure, individually, players want to score a goal, make a nice play, a good save, maybe even outshoot the opponent. Wheeler represents my thoughts the most. Ever since Ladd was traded and Little got injured and Wheels was pretty much the only top forward left, I think he stopped playing at 100%. He sure looks a lot more coasting out there. He has 2 goals and 3 assists over the last 10 games. Pretty "meh" stats for his standards and TOI.

Dano looked a lot more comfortable on the ice after scoring his first. I'm quite confident we'll see a big step up once he found his place on this team. Might not be this season because the team and roster is all over the place but giving him top 6 minutes until the end of the season would be a good idea IMO. Let him build confidence on his new team which he can take over into the summer. He'll be looking forward to next season.

Halischuk once again showed why he is our best prototypical 4th line player IMO.

Burmistrov has 1 goal and 4 assists over the last 10 games with 15 shots on goal.

In his last 10 games before those 10 games, he had 1 goal 0 assists and 13 shots on goal (4 out of those 13 came against NJD which is really a lot for his standards this season).

Great post and I don't disagree with any of it. Weird how Burmi is all of sudden playing like the guy I was hoping we would have had from day one this season?

Blake I think was operating for close to 75 games at red line speed. He was having a career year and then the team fell off a cliff and its probably taking its toll. Ladd being gone then Ehlers and Litts getting injured and all of a sudden he has Drew of Nottingham on his left wing and they are the only scoring line and he is still going hard but not like he was when we saw Cape and tights superhero Blake. I think the season might have caught up with him a bit and honestly I can't really blame him. Hard to keep at that fevered pitch when the season is beyond lost. He is by no means mailing it in but he has lost a bit of the fire.

Copp has also looked pretty good down the stretch here without Tony or Thor.

Like you mentioned we need to make the best of this down the stretch and give young guys good looks in top 6 rolls. Sucks that JMo and Armia are not in the line up, this is lost development time.

I am resigned to hoping for the tank and some really blind luck with the lottery. I do like that we are picking a direction this season but make no mistake this still really sucks.

Last edited:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Pretty entertaining game with a result that helps us more than it hurts us so YAH!

I don't think the Myers flub was really as bad as it looked. I think what happened was Myers and Chef both went for the puck at the same time and chef sorta moved it just as myers took his look at the passing lane. When he looked back the puck was in a different spot and it threw him off a bit and by the time he'd readjusted and made the pass (which he also kinda whiffed on unfortunately) the detroit player was able to intercept. It was more an unlucky play than a bad one...but you could sure tell Myers wanted to make up for it. He made a few really sweet plays in the O zone right afterward to create some nice scoring chances. I like the guy. I think he really cares...

Whileee

May 29, 2010
There seems to be a pattern with Blake, when his left winger is Derw. Seems like the coach might have figured it out but we'll see.

There's a pattern whenever Stafford plays LW with anyone. He's not very effective there, especially in his own zone and the neutral zone.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
It must be hard for some of these guys, like little and wheeler. They get a taste of being on a solid team last year, that had been improving year over year. Now, it looks like another couple/few years of futility as we re-build or re-tool or whatever you want to call unloading or trading NHL ready talent for young guys that may or may not have much of an NHL career in front of them, and draft picks that may or may not turn out to have an NHL career in front of them.

I feel bad for these guys. Yeah, I know they are professionals and get paid a lot of money. But they would be professionals getting paid a lot of money on a competitive team as well. Competitive doesn't have to mean going deep in the playoffs either. But at least to feel like you have a decent shot. Right now, we are not even really competitive, other than competing for the bottom of the league.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Was this Toby's worst game as a Jet ever?

CF 5
CA 26

CF%. 16.1%

Whileee

May 29, 2010
A few thoughts:

I agree with this. I was a bit more encouraged by Dano's play - he was a bit quicker. I still think he needs to gain half a step to be really effective. But he's smart and has good hands, and he doesn't mind working the boards.

Burmi has been generating a lot of chances lately. He also seems to be moving the puck more quickly, especially in the neutral zone. He has a lot of skill and works hard.

Going forward, I think we'll have an abundance of forward depth, and some decisions will need to be made in the next 2-3 years about who to keep. If we keep the top line fixed, there is a lot of fluidity in the other 9 forward spots.

Top 3: Ehlers, Scheifele, Wheeler
Middle 6: Little, Perreault, Connor, Stafford, Armia, Burmi, Lowry, Dano, Petan (that's 9)
Bottom 3: Copp, Thorbs, Lemieux, Lipon, etc.

For next season?

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Armia
Burmi-Lowry-Stafford
Lemieux-Copp-Thorbs

AHL: Dano, Petan, Lipon, Kosmachuk, De Leo

NCAA: Connor, Roslovic, Foley

CHL: Spacek, Harkins

KHL, etc.: Kraskovsky

Lemieux might start in the AHL, with Dano or Petan on the 4th line, but I think it would be best for Dano and Petan to play top-9 if with the Jets. Lemieux seems like a better fit on the 4th line, but we'll see in training camp.

I could see Stafford or maybe Burmi being moved in the next year to make room for Dano and/or Petan in the top 9.

rahzar

Oct 9, 2005
I've given up expecting that he'll actually hit the net with one of his clappers on the PP. It's almost always high and wide and out (of the zone).

Option A: Shoot for the corners, and risk shooting wide.
Option B: Shoot to hit the net, and risk hitting the goalie in the crest.
Sometimes either option will pan out, other times they won't.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
I agree with this. I was a bit more encouraged by Dano's play - he was a bit quicker. I still think he needs to gain half a step to be really effective. But he's smart and has good hands, and he doesn't mind working the boards.

Burmi has been generating a lot of chances lately. He also seems to be moving the puck more quickly, especially in the neutral zone. He has a lot of skill and works hard.

Going forward, I think we'll have an abundance of forward depth, and some decisions will need to be made in the next 2-3 years about who to keep. If we keep the top line fixed, there is a lot of fluidity in the other 9 forward spots.

Top 3: Ehlers, Scheifele, Wheeler
Middle 6: Little, Perreault, Connor, Stafford, Armia, Burmi, Lowry, Dano, Petan (that's 9)
Bottom 3: Copp, Thorbs, Lemieux, Lipon, etc.

For next season?

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Armia
Burmi-Lowry-Stafford
Lemieux-Copp-Thorbs

AHL: Dano, Petan, Lipon, Kosmachuk, De Leo

NCAA: Connor, Roslovic, Foley

CHL: Spacek, Harkins

KHL, etc.: Kraskovsky

Lemieux might start in the AHL, with Dano or Petan on the 4th line, but I think it would be best for Dano and Petan to play top-9 if with the Jets. Lemieux seems like a better fit on the 4th line, but we'll see in training camp.

I could see Stafford or maybe Burmi being moved in the next year to make room for Dano and/or Petan in the top 9.

three of those lines don't look bad (although not much different than what we were rolling), but the 3rd line is a mess waiting to happen, I think. the 3 of them together were horrible earlier in the year, and I'm scared having a borderline 3rd liner (burmi) and a guy who should be 4th line (Lowry) playing with Stafford whose only value is offense.

It'll be interesting to see how the middle 6 shapes up I suppose, but I think you're right in that they may make some moves to put in more youth, depending on whether they approach next year as another 'rebuilding' year.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
If Dano is in the AHL next year I will be really disappointed. He's at the point in his career in my opinion where it's NHL or bust, let's see what he's got.

White Out 403*

I feel like we could probably move on from Enstrom. He still has a few years left and should fetch a decent return. For the money his possession metrics and his drop off in play this year visually (could be wrong) makes me feel like we wouldn't miss him much.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Option A: Shoot for the corners, and risk shooting wide.
Option B: Shoot to hit the net, and risk hitting the goalie in the crest.
Sometimes either option will pan out, other times they won't.

There are other options. I don't mind him shooting for the corners, but he needs to hit them more often. It just seems that quite a few PP zone time is lost with his "high and wide" shots. Overall, the Jets just need more skill on the PP. I'm looking forward to a front-line of Scheifele, Ehlers and Connor on the PP.

Wheeler is the last of the Jets problems, but when he isn't going they bog down offensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad