McKenzie: Jets likely pursuing Mark Stone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Connor - Scheifele - Wheeler (powerful & fast top line punch)
Laine - Little - Stone (Stone drives from the wing)
Ehlers - Lowry - Tanev (reminds me of the Pens HBK line)
Lemieux - Copp - Perreault (4th line that can chip in)

Roslovic (top 9 replacement)
Appleton (4th line replacement)

I love that forward group. IMO better than with Duchene. Also Stone is from Winnipeg so he should get fired up.

1st + Niku is a good start. Sens need to build their defense. Vesalainen is probably off the table.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
1st + Niku is a good start. Sens need to build their defense. Vesalainen is probably off the table.

Not that I think the Sens would be overly picky as long as the value is there but with Chabot Lajoie and Wolanin as young defenders on the left side Im not sure Niku is all that great of a fit to be honest.

northendninja

Feb 25, 2016
Id do 1st, petan (roster player) and vesalainen (A level prospect)... Would be even happier if it were Lemieux or Appleton instead of Vesalainen.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Let’s also not forget that Doiron is a literal moron who traded Karlsson with a year left on his deal for scraps and Hoffman for even less. He’s terrible at his job and can be fleeced with minimal effort.
"Scraps"

They should have gotten a top prospect for EK, but that haul was pretttttty good considering he wasn't even communicating with our management about an extension. Every piece from that trade is pretty underrated.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
"Scraps"

They should have gotten a top prospect for EK, but that haul was pretttttty good considering he wasn't even communicating with our management about an extension. Every piece from that trade is pretty underrated.
You watch these players more than me but a late first and late second, a bottom 6 forward, middle pair defenceman and two B prospects is extremely underwhelming for the best defenceman in the league and best player in franchise history. At least get a single high-end roster player.

Reactions: BatVader

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Pretty easy! Trade for stone, re-sign long term and trade away Laine. Problem solved.

I'm assuming this also involves getting Stone to take Blake Wheeler money and not 9mAAV, right?

Seems like it would be easier for a team like the Predators to pull off something like this. Microfracture or not.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Laine, Connor? WTH? Stone is not nearly as good as those guys are going to be. Is also having a career year on a ....you guessed it...a contract year. Paying him a crap ton of money is not what the Jets need to be doing. They've got a great thing going up there...if there is going to be any TDL add, then it should be a far less costly one.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Too bad Wheeler is so good with Schiefele, Stone is tailor made to be his winger.

Wheeler was also good with Laine last year.

But seeing Scheifele and Stone on the same line at the Worlds a few years ago. I would sure like to see them together again. They just dominated everytime they were on the ice. I don't recall seeing 2 players break up passes and dominate play as these 2 did. They were so good, I posted at the time they should be a team canada line for upcoming international tournaments.

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Landing Stone AND Duchene would make the Jets a juggernaut. Being able to keep both would make them the cup favorite for years, but some clever moves would need to be made on defense. I can actually see it.

1st + Vesalainen + Perreault + Petan + Niku (maybe some small prospect adds, maybe a 2nd too) would be my guess.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Landing Stone AND Duchene would make the Jets a juggernaut. Being able to keep both would make them the cup favorite for years, but some clever moves would need to be made on defense. I can actually see it.

1st + Vesalainen + Perreault + Petan + Niku (maybe some small prospect adds, maybe a 2nd too) would be my guess.

For 2 rentals? Why...

Roslo Comrie 1st for Stone ( he signs LT)

Petan Stanley 2nd for Hayes in New York. (Rental)

Vesa or Niku ( he's more available cuz ppl say he is) i don't think you'd need 2 move either here and i wouldn't but I'd move Niku over Vesa cuz i think hes more value as more of an impact player.. Not a 3 lhd .

Roslo goes cuz stone takes his spot.

Last edited:

Synesthesia

Apr 15, 2012
Laine, Connor? WTH? Stone is not nearly as good as those guys are going to be. Is also having a career year on a ....you guessed it...a contract year. Paying him a crap ton of money is not what the Jets need to be doing. They've got a great thing going up there...if there is going to be any TDL add, then it should be a far less costly one.

lol what did I just read

Stone has been the model of consistency for past years, and is producing at exactly the same pace as last year, which is slightly above a point per game. And y'know... maybe it's normal that he's reaching career heights because he's... entering his prime? The fact that the Jets should not pay a crap ton of money for an unsigned player is valid, but the rest of your statement was absolute garbage. "Not nearly as good" as Connor and Laine? Really? Please.

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
lol what did I just read

Stone has been the model of consistency for past years, and is producing at exactly the same pace as last year, which is slightly above a point per game. And y'know... maybe it's normal that he's reaching career heights because he's... entering his prime? The fact that the Jets should not pay a crap ton of money for an unsigned player is valid, but the rest of your statement was absolute garbage. "Not nearly as good" as Connor and Laine? Really? Please.

Stone is filthy good, please ignore the Jets' posters who say otherwise.

Reactions: larmex99

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Stone extended for Laine :eek::rolleyes:
If Stone wants to sign with the Jets, no reason to trade a big asset to get him extended. Pay the rental price and extend his contract later.

The main issue is the salary cap. If Stone agrees to sign an extension with the Jets they'll likely need to move a top-6 winger. I highly doubt that they would trade Laine, but they might be willing to move Connor who is also looking at a big raise on a contract extension next season.

I'll repeat the scenario I've suggested for some time now:

Step 1: Acquire Stone as rental.
Step 2: Extend Stone's contract.
Step 3: Trade Connor for a big return in the off-season.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Connor - Scheifele - Wheeler (powerful & fast top line punch)
Laine - Little - Stone (Stone drives from the wing)
Ehlers - Lowry - Tanev (reminds me of the Pens HBK line)
Lemieux - Copp - Perreault (4th line that can chip in)

Roslovic (top 9 replacement)
Appleton (4th line replacement)

I love that forward group. IMO better than with Duchene. Also Stone is from Winnipeg so he should get fired up.

I'd do this instead...

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Laine-Little-Stone
Connor-Copp-Roslovic
Perreault-Lowry-Tanev

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I'd do this instead...

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Laine-Little-Stone
Connor-Copp-Roslovic
Perreault-Lowry-Tanev
It’s definitely a problem most teams would like to have.....
I like Scheifele and Wheeler together, a lot, but Scheifele and Stone would be unbelievable.
Biggest issue for me is Little as the 2C.
For me that’s the Jets biggest area of need to upgrade.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
lol what did I just read

Stone's career high is 26 goals.
Laine, at 20yo, has scored 36, and 44, already. This idolization of Stone is absurd. Oh, and 26 is barely still in a wingers prime. Most research suggests that he will already be leaving it once he reaches 27-8. Their prime, in general, is in their early and mid 20's.

Connor and Laine will have a far more impressive body of work when they are 26yo than Stone.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
If Stone wants to sign with the Jets, no reason to trade a big asset to get him extended. Pay the rental price and extend his contract later.

The main issue is the salary cap. If Stone agrees to sign an extension with the Jets they'll likely need to move a top-6 winger. I highly doubt that they would trade Laine, but they might be willing to move Connor who is also looking at a big raise on a contract extension next season.

I'll repeat the scenario I've suggested for some time now:

Step 1: Acquire Stone as rental.
Step 2: Extend Stone's contract.
Step 3: Trade Connor for a big return in the off-season.

I'd do this instead...

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Laine-Little-Stone
Connor-Copp-Roslovic
Perreault-Lowry-Tanev

I doubt management/coaching staff values Connor as low as you do.. He's the #1 option to play on the top line right now because of the success they had last playoffs, body of work in the regular season and how good of a fit stylistically it is. Scheifele and Wheeler are also fans of Connor.

If someone else outplays him for the top line duty then im sure they'd make the adjustment but right now nothing indicates that happening.

And in all honesty, i see Chevy trading Ehlers/Laine before he trades Connor.

For whatever reason i have a feeling he'll be able to work his magic with him in contract talks too and sign him to similar contract with Ehlers, maybe slightly more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad