McKenzie: Jets likely pursuing Mark Stone

Status
Not open for further replies.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I really don't want Stone on the Jets. I also don't see why we need him anyway, I imagine he'd have a bidding war all over him so the Jets would likely get outbid anyway.

Reactions: BatVader

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
stone isn't extending ffs. he wants to go to market and that is his right. he is a rental and the jets aren't trading an A prospects and a 1st for any rental. a 1st and a B prospect playing on the moose not named niku and a roster player is the best they will get. and that roster player wont be on an elc either. Perreault is the likely offer with a 1st and a b prospect. the jets or any team isn't going to gut their team of their the best young players for a rental.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Both really, not necessarily what the Jets need and too expensive.
But he’s very clearly a top 10, arguably top 5 winger in the league. I get not wanting to overpay, but he makes the Jets a much better team. He provides something that no current Jets winger provides.

northendninja

Feb 25, 2016
Jets could extend Stone... In the off season, they would have to lose: tanev (ufa), perrault (trade), myers (ufa), kuli (trade) and trouba (trade). If you could then get 2 defensemen back in the $8.5mil range COMBINED, it could work. Pesce at $4mil would be nice...

Imagine a top 6 of:
connor-shief-wheeler
laine/ehlers-little-stone

for the next 3-4 years of "prime" window.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
Stone is built to play with Laine. Stone is a puck possession monster and fantastic and takeaways. Having Laine available to flip the puck to would be perfect for Laine who to me seems like a very lazy player.

Reactions: Bristo and swiftwin

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Honestly, I’d only be interested if they were moving Laine or Wheeler, and the likelihood of that is....low.
I’d rather they went after Duchene or Hayes
Stone is 10x the player Duchene is and while Duchene and Hayes are both fine players, the price would be essentially the same for all three. Stone is also easily the most likely to re-sign. He is an incredible player.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I’m going to just put this out there, but for any significant return I’d expect Chevy to get permission to discuss extension with Stone before hand. No way he trades Vesa + 1st + for a pure rental or even a possible one.

Is there any collective bargaining rule preventing this kind of discussion while a player is under contract to another team? or would it be "unofficial"?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
But he’s very clearly a top 10, arguably top 5 winger in the league. I get not wanting to overpay, but he makes the Jets a much better team. He provides something that no current Jets winger provides.

Connor, Wheeler, Ehlers, Laine, Lemieux, Perreault and Appleton. With Vesalainen coming up too. I mean we could put him on the third line, but he will want ice-time and is too good for the third line and would be a waste of assets.

Honestly, I’d only be interested if the were moving Laine or Wheeler, and the likelihood of that is....low.
I’d rather they went after Duchene or Hayes

This.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Is there any collective bargaining rule preventing this kind of discussion while a player is under contract to another team? or would it be "unofficial"?
I believe the current team can give permission for a bidding team to talk to the player about extension interest.
Not sure if they can actually work out an actual contract, but gauging interest, I believe, is allowed

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Connor, Wheeler, Ehlers, Laine, Lemieux, Perreault and Appleton. With Vesalainen coming up too. I mean we could put him on the third line, but he will want ice-time and is too good for the third line and would be a waste of assets.

Stone is easily the best player amongst that group. In no universe would he play on the Jets’ third line. He instantly makes the Jets’ second line elite whether the other winger is Laine, Ehlers or Connor. If you can’t see a place on this team for a player of Stone’s caliber, I really don’t know what to tell you.

Last edited:

northendninja

Feb 25, 2016

This.

The reason the Jets want a top 6 winger is that they know Laine is not ready to be effective in 5vs5 play on the second line.

Stone is the best fit, and benefits the Jets the most right now, and also offers the best of the "elite" rentals the possibility of re-signing.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Let’s also not forget that Doiron is a literal moron who traded Karlsson with a year left on his deal for scraps and Hoffman for even less. He’s terrible at his job and can be fleeced with minimal effort.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
You don't happen to understand how unlikely that is, right?

I'm not a General Manager. Not my philosophy but every year we see crazy trades at the deadline. This year is loaded with top talent which is rare. Rentals like Stone or Panarin won't come cheap. If the Jets think they have a real shot at the Cup I would expect Chevy to make a move.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Stone would be an amazing fit on the Jets.

If he has to go, I really don't mind him on the Jets. I think he suits their playstyle very well.

On a line with Laine.... holy shit.... Stone generates so many turnovers in the offensive zone and sets up teammates from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad