McKenzie: Jets likely pursuing Mark Stone

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I think they keep Perreault for the playoffs and move Appleton and another youngling
not the jets m.o. they wont move a him. perreault is relegated to the 3rd and 4th line now and can be easily replaced on the 2 pp. he will be a cap casualty next year anyways. a prospect on the moose could go but highly unlikely they trade any of the players on elc's on the jets.

Reactions: libertarian

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
I only want him if we are going to re-sign him.

Re-sign him, move Connor for a defensemen, trade Trouba for best assets possible.

Stone could be the perfect fit for Laine, amazing possession player who pushes play into the offensive zone.
Personally I would trade Laine over Connor. Use the money set aside for Laine to sign Stone. I believe the haul that the Jets could get for Laine at the draft would be huge.

Reactions: libertarian

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Can you defer a player as part of a condition. For instance if he resigns then you send an asset over at that time.
Conditional picks work, but players probably won't.

Besides, Ottawa would never agree to a deal which basically insulated the Jets from all the risk of Stone bolting. And, to fit Stone's contract in, we would have to shed a core player on top of the guys who are widely considered to be leaving this summer anyway. Can't see that happening.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
As great of a player Stone is I am not sure it makes much sense for the Jets to give up pieces for anything outside of a center. I don't think replacing Laine on the 2nd line is the answer. You need to find someone who can get Laine going. Regardless of Laines flaws, that shot is world class and there are plenty of players out there that could make great use of it.

Jets need to be looking at a 5 player top six. Scheifele - Wheeler with whoever they have available to toss on that line. Connor - high end playmaking C - Laine.

Trade Ehlers or Connor in the deal for the center.

To be fair to Stone, if there is one thing he does well is elevate other player. He drives line like a center would/should do.

I really believe that a Laine/Stone tandem could work very well even with a subpar #2 C. Which to be fair, i cannot judge since i don't watch Winnipeg enough.

Stone transform freaking Zach Smith into a 25G and they had Pageau at center. Pageau had, if i'm not mistaken, his most productive season with him too.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
he is a pure rental. which is why the jets are not giving up a 1st and a A prospect. I could see a 1st Perreault who wont be here next year and is signed for another year and a B prospect going. niku ves Stanley Appleton roslovic samberg wont get moved.

I think given the information that the Jets would make a hard push for Stone if he becomes available they know they are going to have to part with pieces. They might get away with keeping Roslovic and Vesalainen but if you weren’t willing to give up guys like Appleton and Niku, you wouldn’t be looking at Mark Stone.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Stone is an absolute possession and 5v5 god and would be a welcomed addition to the Jets. However, I do think having strong top 6Cs and overall C depth (along with luck, goaltending and other things) is a paramount in the POs. Duchene i think is the better fit but Stone the better player

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Connor-Duchene-Laine
Perreault-Little-Roslovic
Copp-Lowry-Tanev

Duchene addition gives the team 2 #1Cs and 2 "#1" scoring lines imo. 3rd line will be a sheltered scoring line and whatever line Lowry is centering is the shutdown/defensive line that'll be matched up against opposing team's top lines in the POs

vs

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Connor-Little-Stone
Laine-Copp-Roslovic
Perreault-Lowry-Tanev

Copp has been a great 4C this year for the Jets so no problem playing him at 4c as a sheltered scoring line. Not a fan of Laine on the left but it's what Maurice has done when Laine is with Roslovic

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Personally I would trade Laine over Connor. Use the money set aside for Laine to sign Stone. I believe the haul that the Jets could get for Laine at the draft would be huge.
Yeah, I hear that quite a bit.

To me it's not close. Connor has similar limitations to Laine, poor defensively, poor possession player, they are just hidden better playing with Scheif and Wheels. This also comes with him not being the elite goalscorer that Laine is.

Add on the fact that trading Laine right now is selling at his lowest value and it makes no sense to me.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Do the Jets have enough to deal to get both Stone and Duchene as rentals?

A 1st, 2nd, Niku, Vasalainen, Stanley, and cap dump Perrault(-4.125M per).
to much from the Jets to stomach i think as pure rentals. Niku, & notably his ELC, is very much needed beyond this year with the LD depth being what it is.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
One critical need that the Sens have is RHD, that's why they opted to draft an unknown player in the 1st round in 2018. Maybe Leon Dawanke, Mason Appleton, and 1st?

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Yeah, I hear that quite a bit.

To me it's not close. Connor has similar limitations to Laine, poor defensively, poor possession player, they are just hidden better playing with Scheif and Wheels. This also comes with him not being the elite goalscorer that Laine is.

Add on the fact that trading Laine right now is selling at his lowest value and it makes no sense to me.
No way I would trade Laine right now. I would consider it at the draft. If we are going all in this season, Laine is 100% a part of that. That way, if we do get Stone, we can evaluate his fit, and give Laine a chance to break out of his slump and help us win a cup. I love Laine, dont get me wrong, but I’m putting team first in this instance. Just imagine what Laine and Trouba packaged together in the summer would return. We would be able to recoup what we spent on Stone, and restock our prospect pool for years to come. It would also really fix our upcoming cap crunch

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
One critical need that the Sens have is RHD, that's why they opted to draft an unknown player in the 1st round in 2018. Maybe Leon Dawanke, Mason Appleton, and 1st?
That's just terrible. If you are getting Stone you are trading one of your best prospects without exception.

Reactions: Curufinwe

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
I don't think that gets it done for both.

Personally I wouldn't want to give up the assets required to get both, but that should be pretty close.

This is Dorian you're talking about! I love my Sens bros, and always cheer for the Sens, but let's be real here. :sarcasm:

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
No way I would trade Laine right now. I would consider it at the draft. If we are going all in this season, Laine is 100% a part of that. That way, if we do get Stone, we can evaluate his fit, and give Laine a chance to break out of his slump and help us win a cup. I love Laine, dont get me wrong, but I’m putting team first in this instance. Just imagine what Laine and Trouba packaged together in the summer would return. We would be able to recoup what we spent on Stone, and restock our prospect pool for years to come. It would also really fix our upcoming cap crunch
I respectfully disagree.

I don't think you give up on a player who has done what Laine has done before the age of 20 because of a rough ~30 games. There is too much potential for it to backfire completely.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
If, IF, the Jets were to move Laine for Stone, they might as well get Duchene as well to go all in on a Cup.
Laine + Perreault + 2019 1st + ???? + ????
for
Stone (extended) and Duchene (rental)
Connor - Scheifele - Stone
Ehlers - Duchene - Wheeler

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Jets should trade for Stone, and then deal Ehlers/Laine for D help and prospect/picks in the off-season to open up the room to re-sign him long-term.

Could see Appleton, 1st and another piece

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Personally I wouldn't want to give up the assets required to get both, but that should be pretty close.

This is Dorian you're talking about! I love my Sens bros, and always cheer for the Sens, but let's be real here. :sarcasm:

Yeah in reality our idiot GM will f*** it up, I am just expressing my own opinion. Nad let's be honest here, Stone would re-sign in his hometown. I would assume that interest in an extension would be gauged prior to the move and the return would be based on that.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
to much from the Jets to stomach i think as pure rentals. Niku, & notably his ELC, is very much needed beyond this year with the LD depth being what it is.
I don't think that gets it done for both.
Niku would be tough to give up. The 1st and 2nd just goes with the territory these days for contending teams. If I am Ottawa, I would expect a 1st and prospect for Duchene. Same as Stone. A first and a better prospect. My break down is this. And I do not have a bias for either team.

Stone, 1st and Niku
Duchene, 2nd and Vesalainen
The Perrault cap dump for ?

Not sure if Stanley needs to be included, But atleast

Stone and Duchene for Niku, Vesaklainen, a first, a second and Perrault.

Does it help the Jets win a cup this year? IMHO yes it does. Does it help Ottawa retool? Yes it does IMHO.

Value for value.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Conditional picks work, but players probably won't.

Besides, Ottawa would never agree to a deal which basically insulated the Jets from all the risk of Stone bolting. And, to fit Stone's contract in, we would have to shed a core player on top of the guys who are widely considered to be leaving this summer anyway. Can't see that happening.
I agree, my Leafs are in the same boat. Its kinda nice not being involved in every trade proposal lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad