GDT: Jets@Leafs 7PM HNIC CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Boy, that Laine vs Matthews "rivalry" the league was trying to push sure faded away into obscurity, didnt it?

Which is weird because both players are amazing. Matthews is the best even-strength goal scorer in the league. Laine is being compared to guys like Ovechkin which might be one of the greatest goal scorers in NHL history. If both were in the same conference I'm sure we'd see more comparisons. Maybe a few Stanley Cup finals between the two would spark the conversation :naughty:

Edit: Just read the thread, The bashing of Laine makes Leaf fans look extremely insecure.... We have the better player, doesn't mean you have to put one guy down to lift up the other. Then again, this board loves to do that with our own players (kadri vs Bozak, Nylander vs Marner) so I shouldn't be surprised when it happens between players from a different team.

Last edited:

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
Idgaf about the main boards, just win to build even more confidence going into the playoffs

Reactions: Macallan18

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Oh god, you don't know how much i dread this game. Imagine if the Jets win or Laine scores more than Matthews (or Laine gets hat-trick), oh my. You just know the main boards will be plagued for months with the Jets / Finnish / Laine fanboys.

Why would you worry about that?

Non biased fans know Matthews is better. Laine has Matthews beat in just one category: PPG goals. Matthews dominates everything else.

Laine is an amazing talent and a great scorer but he's not Matthews.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Why would you worry about that?

Non biased fans know Matthews is better. Laine has Matthews beat in just one category: PPG goals. Matthews dominates everything else.

Laine is an amazing talent and a great scorer but he's not Matthews.
Listen, if either Toronto or Winnipeg GM's were to go back in time today and have the opportunity to pick number 1, I think it is likely both would pick Matthews since he looks to be a centre of a caliber you can build a contender around for years to come, but Laine is showing himself to be perennial Rocket Richard contender and an assassin on the power-play (which is also very important in the playoffs where defense tightens up and capitalizing on limited PP opportunities become huge as a consequence), so it certainly isn't fait acompli that Matthews will 100% have the better career going forward.

Hoping for a 4:3 Toronto win with goals by both players (and an assist by Marner pushing him to 70pts) personally here.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Listen, if either Toronto or Winnipeg GM's were to go back in time today and have the opportunity to pick number 1, I think it is likely both would pick Matthews since he looks to be a centre of a caliber you can build a contender around for years to come, but Laine is showing himself to be perennial Rocket Richard contender and an assassin on the power-play (which is also very important in the playoffs where defense tightens up and capitalizing on limited PP opportunities become huge as a consequence), so it certainly isn't fait acompli that Matthews will 100% have the better career going forward.
Do you know what's even more important to be good at when PP opportunities are limited? 5v5 play, and Matthews completely blows Laine out of the water in that department

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
It's a good name.

Winnipegs a big team, so it'll be interesting to see how we counter that. It would be more indicative of a playoff match up if we weren't on the 2nd night of a back to back, but at least we mostly have young legs out there.

It's our third in 4 nights. Win percentage for the tired team in that scenario is like 30%. I don't expect a great game from the Leafs but nothing would surprise me. The Jets are a bad road team, not even .500 so who knows.

Reactions: The Rat King

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Do you know what's even more important to be good at when PP opportunities are limited? 5v5 play, and Matthews completely blows Laine out of the water in that department
You are preaching to a guy who is a huge Matthews fan here (for reference if I were to draft a team from any players in the league to build around going forward I would have Matthews as #2 after only McDavid because of his youth and goal-scoring ability), but we should be careful not to underrate the special skills Laine brings to the table, and leading an efficient power-play unit is definitely a big positive, not a negative (as it is with the case of Marner for the Leafs); most teams can't win a Cup with a PP like the 2011 Bruins.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Jets fans are still trying to compare Matthews to Laine? That argument is so over. Laine or Marner, at least that's interesting.
Right? When one is a two way centerman and one is a goal scoring winger, there shouldn't even be a debate when the former is proving to be just as good at scoring goals. he does pretty much everything as good or better

Luckily for Winnipeg, Scheifele and Wheeler are their best players and they are great

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Right? When one is a two way centerman and one is a goal scoring winger, there shouldn't even be a debate when the former is proving to be just as good at scoring goals. he does pretty much everything as good or better
There isn't a GM in the league that would even entertain a straight up trade, Jets fans are delusional.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Laine will be in the rocket race every year for the next 15 years. He's legit. But, it's still smarter to build around the all round center instead of the goal scoring machine winger. Crosby or Ovechkin?

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Laine will be in the rocket race every year for the next 15 years. He's legit. But, it's still smarter to build around the all round center instead of the goal scoring machine winger. Crosby or Ovechkin?

I agree he'll be in the race but Matthews has proven to be just as good of a goal scorer.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Idgaf about the main boards, just win to build even more confidence going into the playoffs
Yeah seriously, people need to stop worrying about the people who are obsessed with Matthews.
It's probably going to be a tough game, they're a good team. I just want them to leave with no injuries.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Laine v Matthews is not a rivalry. Those are just two young stars playing the same game.

Kadri v Risto is more of a justifiable rivalry.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Don't think that's an eye roll but okay :laugh:

Just wish for an entertaining game and no injuries, score 7-8 to whomever. Laine and Matthews both with two hat-tricks.
You didn't see his eyes go to the top right .. perhaps he caught it before it turned into a full eye roll, but it subconsciously started.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Laine v Matthews is not a rivalry. Those are just two young stars playing the same game.

Kadri v Risto is more of a justifiable rivalry.

The artificial media-driven 'rivalry' of Laine v Matthews is so bogus. I completely agree that Kadri v. Risto is much more interesting, especially if Buffalo gets good at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad