Confirmed with Link: Jets hire Dave Lowry as assistant coach

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Again.....Lowry isnt being by hired as the head coach. What systems he will be responsible is yet to be determined......I wouldn’t expect Lowry as a zone entry, PP or offensive coach. IMO he’s likely going to be used defensively, defensive positioning, PK, etc. I would expect his responsibilities more so on the defensive side of the game then on the offensive side.

I personally wouldn't typecast him based on how he played as a pro. Just because he was more of a lunch bucket hard worker doesn't mean he doesn't have a keen tactical mind for the game offensively.

Looking back at his junior teams they tended to rank pretty similarly in terms of GF vs GA.
His elite teams 08-09 and 15-16 were elite at both finishing top 3 in both metrics those years.

I think he is probably a bit more defensive oriented but he knows how to coach his teams to score as well.

I think he should be able to help in a number of ways.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
He seems Iike a real solid junior coach with 5 years of NHL assistant coach experience. He should be able to relate to our younger players.

I am not sure what his responsibilities would be but he seems like a solid hire.

@Joe Hallenback what are your thoughts on him having seeing him coach for the last few years?
@Joe Hallenback could provide more info than me but I was happy Brandon when and got him last year. He was the type of coach Brandon needed last year in that he wasn't hired on the cheap and had something of a track record. Of course Pitera was the best goalie they have had in years so that might have helped. As great a GM as McCrimmon was he was notoriously cheap when it came to hiring coaches. Especially if they were on a down cycle.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
@Joe Hallenback could provide more info than me but I was happy Brandon when and got him last year. He was the type of coach Brandon needed last year in that he wasn't hired on the cheap and had something of a track record. Of course Pitera was the best goalie they have had in years so that might have helped. As great a GM as McCrimmon was he was notoriously cheap when it came to hiring coaches. Especially if they were on a down cycle.

What type of game did you guys runast year?

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I personally wouldn't typecast him based on how he played as a pro. Just because he was more of a lunch bucket hard worker doesn't mean he doesn't have a keen tactical mind for the game offensively.

Looking back at his junior teams they tended to rank pretty similarly in terms of GF vs GA.
His elite teams 08-09 and 15-16 were elite at both finishing top 3 in both metrics those years.

I think he is probably a bit more defensive oriented but he knows how to coach his teams to score as well.

this....

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I am sad to see him go as Brandon's coach. The Wheat Kings started the year slowly but once they got used to his system they were one of the better teams in the 2nd half. Very up tempo hockey he had the Wheat Kings playing but with an emphasis on the backcheck with his forwards. He had some real good development not just with the guys you know like Schnieder and Grieg but other younger players as well.

The Wheat kings PP struggled early but started to pick it up as the season went along. They were the 2nd best PK team and really strong in that area

The Wheaties were a rock solid defensive team but also score a lot. I think he is brought in for the PK and to coach a better backcheck by the forwards. Something Lowry was very good at the NHL level and something he was teaching in Junior very well

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I am sad to see him go as Brandon's coach. The Wheat Kings started the year slowly but once they got used to his system they were one of the better teams in the 2nd half. Very up tempo hockey he had the Wheat Kings playing but with an emphasis on the backcheck with his forwards. He had some real good development not just with the guys you know like Schnieder and Grieg but other younger players as well.

The Wheat kings PP struggled early but started to pick it up as the season went along. They were the 2nd best PK team and really strong in that area

The Wheaties were a rock solid defensive team but also score a lot. I think he is brought in for the PK and to coach a better backcheck by the forwards. Something Lowry was very good at the NHL level and something he was teaching in Junior very well

Pretty much exactly what I would expect from one of his teams. Pleased with the hire.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
1256d2cbb00184cc83ecab02a78c452a.gif

Came here to post a meme along these lines. Very glad to see everyone's on the ball :)

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Safe to say I'm not a fan of this move if it means Adam is extended with term. I fully expect he will be, and that's another strike against Chevy for me. I've lost track of the count at this point. We're going to be stuck paying him and Pionk close to 10 mill combined next summer. :help:

DRC

WestJet
Feb 23, 2015
Vancouver Island
Just listened to the zoom call. I find it interesting he didn't want to divulge what his responsibilities will be at this time. I wonder if it's still up in the air his exact responsibilities and where he'll fit best

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Really don't think this will mean a long-term deal for Adam, it might make Adam want out. :laugh: Good signing. :thumbu:

You jest but I'm actually inclined to agree. It's good to keep some separation between your work and personal lives. Something to consider... maybe Dad is comfortable taking the job at this time because he already knows Adam has no intention of re-signing with the Jets.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
You jest but I'm actually inclined to agree. It's good to keep some separation between your work and personal lives. Something to consider... maybe Dad is comfortable taking the job at this time because he already knows Adam has no intention of re-signing with the Jets.
Totally not the same but i remember playing hockey at 16 and the best player's dad was the coach, his dad was harder on him than anyone else on the team.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Interesting Dave stated he and PMO have discussed his areas of responsibility.........but Dave wouldn't state what those responsibilities are, he actually refused to state them........makes me wonder if that means some other asst coaches responsibilities are being changed and PMO just hasn't told them yet.......or that we might have another asst coach hired & one let go. Interesting to see how this unfolds........training camp isn't far away for most clubs.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think this does say the team wanted a quality coach and it wasn’t willing to take a gamble on a newbie or someone off the board so to speak & risk regretting who they hired. Aka hire a sure thing and not gamble.

Agreed I don’t recall any father/son combo on any team but not sure.

Certainly going the safe route.

No risk of getting any new fangled ideas.

No risk of appearing to hire the next HC in waiting.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

As a player he played the style he did because that was what he could do well. It doesn't necessarily reflect his thinking. Not to mention that he has now been coaching for quite a long time. He might see the game differently as a coach.

Reactions: surixon

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Actually, I think Lowry probably is viewed by many as a potential future NHL head coach... former player, success in the CHL, coached international team, and now NHL Asst Coach gig.

I would think he is a little long in the tooth to be making that jump. Couldn't rule it out of course. But I don't see him lurking.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Actually, I think Lowry probably is viewed by many as a potential future NHL head coach... former player, success in the CHL, coached international team, and now NHL Asst Coach gig.

Agreed. He very possibly is another option to replace PMO if things go poorly. Not saying Lowry is being hired for this, but certainly an option IMO. He’s coached and or asst coached at multi levels, lots of experience & I suspect brings the personality this organization likes.

Reactions: KingBogo

Whileee

May 29, 2010
What might Lowry focus on? Well, where have the Jets been bad the past couple of years...

1) 5v5 play in the D zone - Since the departure of Enstrom, Buff and Trouba, the Jets have leaked a ton of quality shots in their own zone. Some of this will only be remedied with better play by the D, but the Jets have some forwards that are notably bad defensively in transition and in their own zone. If the Jets can get better defensive play from their top-6 forwards, that will be a big step forward.

2) 5v5 ply in the offensive zone - Some of this is related to poor play in their own zone, but the Jets need to do a better job of generating chances in the offensive zone. More and more teams are generating offensive chances through play / presence in the slot, whereas the Jets have played more of a perimeter game (often cycling or creating chances from high in the zone). As a result, while the Jets are good on transition offense, they haven't been nearly good enough in generating offense when they are set up in the offensive zone.

3) PK - Although many focus on the Jets balky PP last year, the Jets more consistent problem is on the PK. Much of that is because of their D, but they weren't very good at preventing good shots in 2017/18, either. They need better play on their PK. I think the PP will be fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad