Confirmed with Link: Jets hire Dave Lowry as assistant coach

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
What might Lowry focus on? Well, where have the Jets been bad the past couple of years...

1) 5v5 play in the D zone - Since the departure of Enstrom, Buff and Trouba, the Jets have leaked a ton of quality shots in their own zone. Some of this will only be remedied with better play by the D, but the Jets have some forwards that are notably bad defensively in transition and in their own zone. If the Jets can get better defensive play from their top-6 forwards, that will be a big step forward.

2) 5v5 ply in the offensive zone - Some of this is related to poor play in their own zone, but the Jets need to do a better job of generating chances in the offensive zone. More and more teams are generating offensive chances through play / presence in the slot, whereas the Jets have played more of a perimeter game (often cycling or creating chances from high in the zone). As a result, while the Jets are good on transition offense, they haven't been nearly good enough in generating offense when they are set up in the offensive zone.

3) PK - Although many focus on the Jets balky PP last year, the Jets more consistent problem is on the PK. Much of that is because of their D, but they weren't very good at preventing good shots in 2017/18, either. They need better play on their PK. I think the PP will be fine.

I'm nowhere near qualified about the hockey aspect of your post to comment, but I just gotta tell you that you get full marks for use of 'balky'

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Interesting Dave stated he and PMO have discussed his areas of responsibility.........but Dave wouldn't state what those responsibilities are, he actually refused to state them........makes me wonder if that means some other asst coaches responsibilities are being changed and PMO just hasn't told them yet.......or that we might have another asst coach hired & one let go. Interesting to see how this unfolds........training camp isn't far away for most clubs.
Is there a firm date for training camp?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't think so yet, but I have read the Leafs are thinking about mid Dec camp start. Not sure if it's final yet

The Sharks are also anticipating this Nd are working on an ojt of county training camp plan.

I would have to think the Jets would have to host there camp in a different t province given how things are going here.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
What might Lowry focus on? Well, where have the Jets been bad the past couple of years...

1) 5v5 play in the D zone - Since the departure of Enstrom, Buff and Trouba, the Jets have leaked a ton of quality shots in their own zone. Some of this will only be remedied with better play by the D, but the Jets have some forwards that are notably bad defensively in transition and in their own zone. If the Jets can get better defensive play from their top-6 forwards, that will be a big step forward.

2) 5v5 ply in the offensive zone - Some of this is related to poor play in their own zone, but the Jets need to do a better job of generating chances in the offensive zone. More and more teams are generating offensive chances through play / presence in the slot, whereas the Jets have played more of a perimeter game (often cycling or creating chances from high in the zone). As a result, while the Jets are good on transition offense, they haven't been nearly good enough in generating offense when they are set up in the offensive zone.

3) PK - Although many focus on the Jets balky PP last year, the Jets more consistent problem is on the PK. Much of that is because of their D, but they weren't very good at preventing good shots in 2017/18, either. They need better play on their PK. I think the PP will be fine.

All things that definitely need to be addressed. The Jets have fallen behind best in practice in terms of offensive zone strategy and need to rework how they think the offensive zone. They also need a lot of help in their end and on the PK.

I am hopeful Dave can take on some of these tasks and help make meaningful improvements.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Speaking of the older assistants like Huddy I am wondering if some may be given the year off if they are at greater health risk given teams won't be in as tight of bubbles ans traveling more often.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Speaking of the older assistants like Huddy I am wondering if some may be given the year off if they are at greater health risk given teams won't be in as tight of bubbles ans traveling more often.
? He’s 61 for crying out loud
That’s not old ?

Reactions: Moe Mantha

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Safe to say I'm not a fan of this move if it means Adam is extended with term. I fully expect he will be, and that's another strike against Chevy for me. I've lost track of the count at this point. We're going to be stuck paying him and Pionk close to 10 mill combined next summer. :help:

Realistically we all know Kurt Overhardt is not the kind of agent who is going to keep his client in Winnipeg beyond 7 years so I'll be surprised if Copp re-signs. Adam Lowry has been a leader for this team, since his rookie year when he took over the 2c spot with Little out, centering Ladd and Frolik, and kept the team in the playoff race and made the postseason for the first time. He's been a leader or co-leader in scoring in 2 of 4 playoff appearances. I hope he re-signs, that 2011 draft, the first, was a cornerstone for our franchise's development. The team has been good at getting players to sign team friendly deals so I don't think Pionk and Lowry are going to break the bank, as both like playing here. It's Laine that will be the hardest to sign as Liut can probably leverage more elsewhere, and Laine will move on, we know this.

I hope the Jets sign Dave Lowry's other son, Joel, as well, to play for the Moose, and maybe we can bring in some of his former Wheat King or Royals players into the fold. He has coached a couple of players on our team, in Forbort and Thompson. Sounds like PK will be his biggest impact, which is something we have needed to address for years, by all accounts. His first year as a Kings assistant they had #1 PK in the NHL, his 2nd they were 29th. So I am not sure what to expect for results.

Could be our future head coach. Will be a coach that has Maurice's respect, as a seasoned pro. Wonder how it will be for Adam to have his dad behind the bench.

DharmaBum

Just like a young Dave Ellett
Nov 14, 2010
Winnipeg
Just some stats of when Lowry was an AC with the Flames and Kings. Stats are ranked from best to worst. So in 09-10 Calgary had the 26th best PP, 15 best PK and were 16th best in league game points. Stats taken from NHL.com.

With the Flames from 2009-2012
09-10 PP 26 PK 15 Team Points 16
10-11 PP 8 PK 21 Team Points 17
11-12 PP 13 Pk 9 Team Points 17

With L.A. Kings

17-18 PP 18 Pk 1 Team Points 12
18-19 PP 27 Pk 29 Team Points 30

Not meaning this as an evaluation of Papa Lowry's coaching skills or interpreting what his exact role was the teams, but just some stats to look at. Both teams were on the weaning end of Stanley Cups (LA) or 1 Cup run and the Iginla era, so both teams were on the down slope of success.

Reactions: JetsUK

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Safe to say I'm not a fan of this move if it means Adam is extended with term. I fully expect he will be, and that's another strike against Chevy for me. I've lost track of the count at this point. We're going to be stuck paying him and Pionk close to 10 mill combined next summer. :help:
Does the sun ever shine where you are? :laugh:

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I don't have any factually based opinion about Dave Lowry but the background of him being Adam's father actually makes ma shiver a bit... For multiple years now, our management gives a bit of an "Old Boys Club with too much loyalty"-kind of vibe and if you think about the fact that Adam Lowry is undoubtably one of the organizations favorite player without having THAT much of an amazingly big impact on the ice... The shiver is existing. I can't deny it. To be honest, I think this Management is just couple of few moves away from allowing the public opinion to truely call them an "Old Boys Club" by now.

Reactions: Bigfish

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I am really not sure how Lowry is an old boys club hire. He has no past affiliation with the team or any of the people in coaching and management.

Let's try to judge him based on his credentials shall we. He has a tonne of junior hockey experience and success playing from what I have heard an up tempo all around game (things we need to incorporate into our game plan). He also has a lot of NHL head coaching experience and has worked with some great all star players so he should be capable of working with our stars.

I think based on merit it's a good hire. Also I think having Lowry here who likely is harder on his son then Maurice is might be a good thing not a bad thing.

Reactions: DRC and Jets 31

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I am really not sure how Lowry is an old boys club hire. He has no past affiliation with the team or any of the people in coaching and management.

Let's try to judge him based on his credentials shall we. He has a tonne of junior hockey experience and success playing from what I have heard an up tempo all around game (things we need to incorporate into our game plan). He also has a lot of NHL head coaching experience and has worked with some great all star players so he should be capable of working with our stars.

I think based on merit it's a good hire. Also I think having Lowry here who likely is harder on his son then Maurice is might be a good thing not a bad thing.

One has to respect those arguments and I wouldn't disagree. I just can't help but feel this shiver :laugh: I'm gladly going to be 100% wrong and Dave Lowry is a great spark for our roster.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
One has to respect those arguments and I wouldn't disagree. I just can't help but feel this shiver :laugh: I'm gladly going to be 100% wrong and Dave Lowry is a great spark for our roster.

I think I know what's troubling you. It's that separated at birth thing. Even their glasses are the same. :laugh:

upload_2020-11-24_10-15-44.png
upload_2020-11-24_10-16-23.png

slurpee addict

Winter is Coming
Jul 13, 2018
Winnipeg
I like Adam Lowry, and think that some of our other players could learn from his approach to playing at both ends of the ice - lookin at you Wheeler/Scheifele.

But... consider the number of rumours and stories about rifts and disharmony in the dressing room amongst the players. add to that the sense out there amongst us fans that PoMo has clear favorites.

I'm not sure hiring a players dad to be one of the coaches does anything but add to potential conflict. This just seems weird - even if he is the best thing since sliced bread. What could go wrong?

Last edited:
Reactions: VictoriaJetsFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->