Confirmed with Link: Jets hire Dave Lowry as assistant coach

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I like the signing, I like the type of guy he is overall.......I wonder how his intensity will fit with some of our less intense players. IMO this speaks to more of a hard nosed, hard working team. Hopefully he can help with the defensive systems. If certain players won’t fit it, ship them out, players are just asset chips to be used as required to achieve your goal.

Will this lead to Adam being extended? Likely but won’t be long term, maybe another 2-3 years.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I like the signing, I like the type of guy he is overall.......I wonder how his intensity will fit with some of our less intense players. IMO this speaks to more of a hard nosed, hard working team. Hopefully he can help with the defensive systems. If certain players won’t fit it, ship them out, players are just asset chips to be used as required to achieve your goal.

Will this lead to Adam being extended? Likely but won’t be long term, maybe another 2-3 years.

I don't think his demeanor matters that much, Maurice as head coach will still set the tone here.

Assistants from what I have heard are more often then not on pretty friendly terms with the players.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I don't think his demeanor matters that much, Maurice as head coach will still set the tone here.

Assistants from what I have heard are more often then not on pretty friendly terms with the players.

I meant his personality more reenforces the culture of hard working, hard hockey team. Aka more PMO style reenforcement

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
1256d2cbb00184cc83ecab02a78c452a.gif

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Well I am expecting the team to work hard. What they need imo is better tactics across the board so hopefully Dave can bring some fresh ideas here.

Agreed. Hopefully he can help with the systems and reenforce the culture & work ethic that the organization & leadership wants from its team.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
As our old friend Mathmew Purrr Oh points out...this may not be great news. But I guess with that roster, you'd expect a lot of dump-and-chase hockey...

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Well one bad tournament shouldn't define him as a coach. He has a pretty darn good record as a head coach in the WHL. I am not sure what type of systems he uses though.

Again.....Lowry isnt being by hired as the head coach. What systems he will be responsible is yet to be determined......I wouldn’t expect Lowry as a zone entry, PP or offensive coach. IMO he’s likely going to be used defensively, defensive positioning, PK, etc. I would expect his responsibilities more so on the defensive side of the game then on the offensive side.

Last edited:

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I love this move. Lowry is an excellent coach. His Royals teams were a
incredibly hard working. Great move.

I like the move partly from hopefully he can help on the defensive side of our game, I also really like it from a work ethic POV. He wasn't the most skilled guy ever, but he certainly worked his butt off constantly, had high intensity, honest player.........even as a asst coach hopefully he can help enforce some of these qualities on the team & especially some of the players who lack some work ethic on & off the ice & lack some intensity.

If they name him PP coach or offensive zone coach, etc.......Ill scratch my head.......but I doubt that will happen.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I guess it's confirmed Adam Lowry won't be getting claimed by the Seattle Kraken along with an extension. :sarcasm:

All jokes aside, this is a solid pick-up as Lowry has shown to be a good coach in juniors. Can't name the first time a coach joined their son's team, usually it's the other way around.

None

Feb 22, 2012
As our old friend Mathmew Purrr Oh points out...this may not be great news. But I guess with that roster, you'd expect a lot of dump-and-chase hockey...

To be fair to Dave Lowry in that tournament their clear #1 goaltender in Mackenzie Blackwood was serving an 8 game suspension for a slash I think. They ended up playing Finland in the QF as a result of their poor goaltending showings in the group stage prior to that suspension ending.

That Finland roster went on to win and was absolutely stacked, probably even moreso than even Canada in hindsight.
Aho, Laine, Puljujarvi, Rantanen, Kapanen, and Juolevi.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I guess it's confirmed Adam Lowry won't be getting claimed by the Seattle Kraken along with an extension. :sarcasm:

All jokes aside, this is a solid pick-up as Lowry has shown to be a good coach in juniors. Can't name the first time a coach joined their son's team, usually it's the other way around.

I think this does say the team wanted a quality coach and it wasn’t willing to take a gamble on a newbie or someone off the board so to speak & risk regretting who they hired. Aka hire a sure thing and not gamble.

Agreed I don’t recall any father/son combo on any team but not sure.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

Very involved running special teams.... can't hurt to have someone else involved..

PK I would think would fit right in his wheelhouse but who knows maybe he can help simplify our PP and get back to some basics.......at times they overthink & overpass the damn puck instead of just shooting it with screens, deflections and rebounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad