Jets goaltending discussion (part 3)

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Interesting. I'm personally good with either of the two.

As long as they don't both fall through. I prefer Elliott's cultural fit but Mason has talent too so I would be fine with either.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Not a huge Bernier fan either but:
Career .915% vs Elliotts .913%? And that's with playing with a poor Leafs team vs Elliott playing with a good Blues team.

Bernier also has time with the Kings and Ducks. I personally want nothing to do with Bernier. His stats look alright but he is just not a good goalie. Every time I see him he just doesn't look like he has any clue what he is doing out there.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
ok I am getting a bit confused. Kind of thought Elliott was our man?

Oh well hopefully it sorts itself out one way or the other on Saturday. I will be at my cabin enjoying Canada day with my family so no matter what it's always a good day.

Maybe Elliott couldn't find a house he likes?

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Doesn't hurt to ask.
Likely some posturing in regards to Elliot's negotiation.

Condon being signed by Ottawa takes a goalie of the board but also eliminates a landing spot.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The market for Mason should be smaller than for Elliott.

Basically all the teams looking for goalies are looking at backups, for which Elliott could be a better fit.
Flyers aren't going back to Winnipeg.

It's good thing that Chevy is looking into both Elliott/Mason, should end up with one of them.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
From reading @NMercad's tweets in the past, it seems to be more of PHI coaching repeatedly flipping between goalies and not allowing Mason (or Neuvirth) to get more than one/two/three games in a row, which is why both parties are moving on.

Coming from flyers fan. Mason is better than his numbers suggest and that's not really due to fact that he played behind ****** defense, but more so truly awful penalty kill.

The usage he got last two seasons isn't playing 3, 4 games and than sitting for next 3, 4 games. Instead our head coach would inexplicably ride one of the goalies for 10 games straight, back to backs or not and that was one of the issues Mason had.

I think he is average starter at least and at the age of 28 with current market I think team that lands him is looking at a steal.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Bernier also has time with the Kings and Ducks. I personally want nothing to do with Bernier. His stats look alright but he is just not a good goalie. Every time I see him he just doesn't look like he has any clue what he is doing out there.

Can't we just make it simple and take the goalie who made it to the playoffs?
Unless both did

We need to stop trying to be so clever sometimes and just do the obvious

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

Agree. Also, he's Pavalecian in style -- which I can easily imagine giving some teammates PTSD and sending MP85 into an explosive, venting rage from which he never recovers -- diving and floundering, with mediocre puck-tracking and a habit of letting in momentum-destroying softies, all of which are fatal for a young team. The Jets need someone who's calm, stable and dependable, so they can play their game rather than going into frantic mode and losing possession constantly. Bernier would be a terrible choice, IMO.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
The usage he got last two seasons isn't playing 3, 4 games and than sitting for next 3, 4 games. Instead our head coach would inexplicably ride one of the goalies for 10 games straight, back to backs or not and that was one of the issues Mason had.

Okay, I wasn't aware of this. This is hilariously awful goalie usage. Yikes. Might be worse than the 15-16 handling of Hellebuyck...

PHI

PHI

WPG

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Dreger says "the Jets have inched their way towards Steve Mason" (as opposed to Elliott)

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Dreger says "the Jets have inched their way towards Steve Mason" (as opposed to Elliott)

Mason is ahead of Elliott on my list.

He's in the middle of his prime and could actually be a good starter. Jets should have a superior defense compared to Flyers. But then again how will Maurice play them is a question.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015

I think Mason is somewhat better than Elliott, but I thought Elliott was the better fit in terms of demands -- i.e. Mason's comments about "who is the starter" sounded like a red flag (like he wanted a guarantee for 55+ games), and more likely to sign a shorter (2 years) contract. Then I saw those graphs, and now I can totally understand Mason complaining about his usage. And McKenzie said Jets have "significant" interest, "possible fit". #teammason

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I think Mason is somewhat better than Elliott, but I thought Elliott was the better fit in terms of demands -- i.e. Mason's comments about "who is the starter" sounded like a red flag (like he wanted a guarantee for 55+ games), and more likely to sign a shorter (2 years) contract. Then I saw those graphs, and now I can totally understand Mason complaining about his usage. And McKenzie said Jets have "significant" interest, "possible fit". #teammason

You hit the nail on the head. Mason is the better G, but Elliott is the better fit. But what if Hellebuyck continues to struggle? I'd rather have Mason in net. He's a better insurance policy.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

There's no better fit than the Jets for Mason.

You hit the nail on the head. Mason is the better G, but Elliott is the better fit. But what if Hellebuyck continues to struggle? I'd rather have Mason in net. He's a better insurance policy.

That's why I'd still go for Mason.

That is the teams biggest ? and should be solved as well as possible. I'd like to see how the team would play with good goaltending.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Coming from flyers fan. Mason is better than his numbers suggest and that's not really due to fact that he played behind ****** defense, but more so truly awful penalty kill.

I think he is average starter at least and at the age of 28 with current market I think team that lands him is looking at a steal.

Sadly that sounds like something Paul Maurice might do too. I know in Carolina he also would ride the hell out of his #1 but that was in a different era too.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Fan reaction to Bernier's time with the Leafs is strikingly similar to the way Oiler fans used to talk about Dubnyk.. Consistent league average numbers but always thrown under the bus.

I don't love Bernier as an option here or anything but it just feels very similar to me.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Elliot has been discussed lots across multiple different threads. But I'll just add my vote here of being "cool with it". There's a lot of positives. Stability in net. No assets lost in trade. Likely available on a very reasonable contract. Likely only available at all because of a small handful of bad games which fans (and GMs) tend to overreact to. Cool with a platoon. Doesn't stifle Hellebuyck. A better goalie than many give him credit for. Likely happy with the opportunity Winnipeg will present.

As I posted a couple months back, an Elliot signing has TNSE written all over it. It's the safe, smart, value-for-dollar choice.

I'm ok with that.

He really sounds like a good fit. Everything I have heard about him as a teammate etc just sounds like a Jets kind of player. Dare I say, the Stempniak of goalies? :laugh:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Bernier is as inconsistent as it gets. You never know what you'll get.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
There's no better fit than the Jets for Mason.

That's why I'd still go for Mason.

That is the teams biggest ? and should be solved as well as possible. I'd like to see how the team would play with good goaltending.

I guess the challenge could actually come if Hellebuyck and Mason are both playing really well? Oh to have such a dilemma :laugh:.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad