Jets goaltending discussion (part 3)

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
I see Elliot as a goalie comparable to Pavs in his best season when we made the playoffs. Not in terms of style but in terms of streaky play throughout his career. He gets really hot and really cold but it should be enough to get us into playoffs with our offence.

Yes, but baseline is definitely much higher.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
I've always liked Elliot.
NCAA championship, Hobey Baker finalist.

if he has a "good' year he can play at an elite level. plus he has shown he can "win the big game" at the NCAA level.

Lets hope he has another breakout season!

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
If he signs here I'm okay with it. The most important aspect is I can then become pedantic about spelling his surname correctly, since it's the same as mine. Two l's and two t's please. Over 85% of Canadians spell it just as Brian does but everyone gets lazy because of Trudeau senior (insert unsuitable political commentary here that would be deleted). ;)

I'll probably have to get a jersey though since it provides justification for throwing my own name on the back of it.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I agree with just about everything you're saying, but the bolded is your imagination. You have no idea what deals Chevy did or didn't try to make and what he did or didn't offer to make those deals work. None of us do and until Chevy gets fired, re-hired, re-fired and retired, then writes a book, chances are none of us will know what did or didn't or almost happened.

This is a fair point, and I think you are right. It is easy to get sucked into the mentality of thinking that Chevy is just chilling at his cottage, but in reality he is probably trying to work deals and we would all be shocked to learn one day just how hard he's worked and things just haven't worked because players weren't willing to come to Winnipeg, or teams weren't willing to deal for whatever reason, etc.

I frequently forget this so thanks for the reminder.

Real life is not like GM mode on NHL '17.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Speaking of goalies, Has anyone heard anything about where Pav might end up?

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
Having an average goaltender means about ten more wins for the Jets and that's playoff bound.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Whenever he gets cold, we can ride Helly and the other way around.

That would be the plan/hope with Elliott move.

Have 2 goalies that can play, let them help each other to get through slumps.

Jets could/should have one of the best offenses in the league so even average goaltending could mean huge improvements.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I'm cool with Elliott, but want to see the dollars and term we're commiting to him. Hopefully no more than two years.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Goalies are so hard to predict even at the best of times, but one thing I can say about Elliott is that I think his style will complement the aging process well.

He's not one of these hyperkinetic goalies that relies on athleticism, he's very controlled and economical in his crease movements.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Shouldn't this and the Elliott threads go into the overall goalie thread?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Due diligence only imo, not serious or likely imo

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
If he signs here I'm okay with it. The most important aspect is I can then become pedantic about spelling his surname correctly, since it's the same as mine. Two l's and two t's please. Over 85% of Canadians spell it just as Brian does but everyone gets lazy because of Trudeau senior (insert unsuitable political commentary here that would be deleted). ;)

I'll probably have to get a jersey though since it provides justification for throwing my own name on the back of it.

Thanks. Two l's and two t's. I'll make sure I never misspell Elloitt's name again.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Speaking of goalies, Has anyone heard anything about where Pav might end up?

I haven't heard his name attached to a single rumour yet.

He's certainly not getting a starting job anywhere. I imagine teams may consider him if they're stuck for a backup or want a veteran AHL tender. But otherwise I imagine it's Europe for him.

GoJetsGo204

Jan 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Big fan of the Elliott rumours. People wanted a good tandem goalie at the end of the season, and here we are, about to sign a good tandem goalie. Some people will never be happy, but the jets are better with Elliott than without him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad