Speculation: Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation (Part XVIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I miss the days when the return from the Flyers for Buff was Schenn +.

Schenn + Voracek
Schenn + Schenn
Schenn + Couturier
Schenn + Simmonds

Sigh. Those were the days. Now we're content with just a Schenn.

Those were the days. Hopefully Holmgren/Chevy haven't left those days.

Quick three-way idea:

To Toronto: Montoya, Buff, Stuart
To Pittsburgh: Kadri
To Winnipeg: Gardiner, Reimer, Despres, Bennett

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Those were the days. Hopefully Holmgren/Chevy haven't left those days.

Quick three-way idea:

To Toronto: Montoya, Buff, Stuart
To Pittsburgh: Kadri
To Winnipeg: Gardiner, Reimer, Despres, Bennett

I like that because it would make Leaf fans heads explode. They get 2 UFA's and Buff for Kadri, Gardiner, and Reimer. :handclap:

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
How about this?

To Toronto: Buff, Montoya, Halischuk
To Jets: Gunnarsson, Reimer, Ashton

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
What would the fine folks in here think of Korpikoski and Gormley as a return for Buff this summer? I was going through the rosters of NYR/PHI and I can't see anything that would work. I saw Derek Morris was UFA for Phoenix so they might look at replacing him. They'd still have Summers and Rundblad as young, NHL ready prospects on D and we'd fill two needs.

Brandon Gormley is my #1 man crush trade prospect for the Jets. He would fit our needs like a glove IMO. Here is recent write up for the Yotes prospect pool where he is still at #1

"1. (1) Brandon Gormley, D, 8.0C
Drafted 1st round, 13th overall, 2010

Gormley was an NHL-ready defenseman entering 2013-14. Nothing has happened to change his status. There is simply a glut of defensemen in the Coyotes organization signed to one-way contracts. Gormley, with his two-way deal which is exempt from waivers, is the odd man out. In particular, on his natural left side where Oliver Ekman-Larsson and Keith Yandle are ahead of him on the depth chart and chewing up most of the minutes.

For the moment, from a developmental standpoint, the AHL is a better place for him. In Portland he plays over 25 minutes a night in diverse situations. In a lineup that finds itself outgunned and under siege on a nearly nightly basis, the coaching staff leans on Gormley heavily to keep them competitive. In Phoenix, he would probably play 10 minutes a night or less. With Ekman-Larsson and Yandle as alternatives, coach Dave Tippett would only deploy Gormley in extremely sheltered situations."

I somehow don't think Buff would be the Yotes cup of tea though so I will have to go on dreaming of other option.

Perhaps Burmi (conditional on deal) + Postma for Gormley (If Burmi doesn't want come back to Winnipeg but wants back into the NHL).

Long term D core:

Morrissey Trouba
Gormley Bogo

Mix and match however you like.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
How about this?

To Toronto: Buff, Montoya, Halischuk
To Jets: Gunnarsson, Reimer, Ashton

I personally wouldn't do that. If the Jets are going to trade Buff, I think they need an impact player coming back. Gunnarsson is not it. He's a worse D man than Buff. And while it might be nice to get Reimer, there should be other options out there that don't require the Jets to trade possibly their best trade piece.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I don't think the Coyotes would want to spend the money they have on Buff when they need more scoring help at forward. Like you said, with OEl and Yandle already there, Buff isn't a need for them.

OEL is a two way guy, not a bread and butter offensive D. They have Michalek paired with him now I believe. The thought crossed my mind as well I admit. I figure they needed more scoring period, not just from forwards. Yandle-Buff could be a pretty weak pairing inside their own blue-line.

We might even have to add a forward back (if we had one to give). But Korpikoski would be so perfect for this team's third line. Gormley is no world beater but he's stuck behind two $5M+ defenseman as a not flashy defensive player.

If Korpikoski had Phoenix's 2nd (or Summers) added instead, would that be more fair than them giving up a former 1st rounder they've developed for several years now?

I just want one more of those fast, two way tweeners (Frolik, Hagelin, Read, Kulemin) so bad. More GOOD PK depth, stronger team defense, speed to fit in with our core players.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Brandon Gormley is my #1 man crush trade prospect for the Jets. He would fit our needs like a glove IMO. Here is recent write up for the Yotes prospect pool where he is still at #1

"1. (1) Brandon Gormley, D, 8.0C
Drafted 1st round, 13th overall, 2010

Gormley was an NHL-ready defenseman entering 2013-14. Nothing has happened to change his status. There is simply a glut of defensemen in the Coyotes organization signed to one-way contracts. Gormley, with his two-way deal which is exempt from waivers, is the odd man out. In particular, on his natural left side where Oliver Ekman-Larsson and Keith Yandle are ahead of him on the depth chart and chewing up most of the minutes.

For the moment, from a developmental standpoint, the AHL is a better place for him. In Portland he plays over 25 minutes a night in diverse situations. In a lineup that finds itself outgunned and under siege on a nearly nightly basis, the coaching staff leans on Gormley heavily to keep them competitive. In Phoenix, he would probably play 10 minutes a night or less. With Ekman-Larsson and Yandle as alternatives, coach Dave Tippett would only deploy Gormley in extremely sheltered situations."

I somehow don't think Buff would be the Yotes cup of tea though so I will have to go on dreaming of other option.

Perhaps Burmi (conditional on deal) + Postma for Gormley (If Burmi doesn't want come back to Winnipeg but wants back into the NHL).

Long term D core:

Morrissey Trouba
Gormley Bogo

Mix and match however you like.

At least it's not just me. Gormley is better than any LD that NYR or PHI could reasonably give us back and his age and skill set are perfect.

On second thought I might be asking back too much for Buff...

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
My prediction is that while we end up trading one of the 4 or so commonly mentioned available Jets players, we end up getting someone who is not normally brought up in these fantasy trades. Sort of like how we got Frolik when there was no talk about him.

GoldenJet89

Feb 4, 2012
At least it's not just me. Gormley is better than any LD that NYR or PHI could reasonably give us back and his age and skill set are perfect.

I would be beyond words happy to see Gormley here. He looks to be a pretty surefire top 4 guy that is good in both ends. Not flashy but all around solid. And of course, is a lefty.

I don't think the coyotes would be interested in a Buff deal. But i'd gladly build a package of picks/prospects to bring Gormley here if the yotes were open to moving him.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

i don't think so. While fans will se gormley as ultra-high value, GM's historically don't treat player/prospects like that as such.

a good cost-controled 2/3 line tweener and an A list left D prospect? Yah, i'm on board with that. But, i don't know how much interest Pheonix would have ina a dman like buff

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
OEL is a two way guy, not a bread and butter offensive D. They have Michalek paired with him now I believe. The thought crossed my mind as well I admit. I figure they needed more scoring period, not just from forwards. Yandle-Buff could be a pretty weak pairing inside their own blue-line.

We might even have to add a forward back (if we had one to give). But Korpikoski would be so perfect for this team's third line. Gormley is no world beater but he's stuck behind two $5M+ defenseman as a not flashy defensive player.

If Korpikoski had Phoenix's 2nd (or Summers) added instead, would that be more fair than them giving up a former 1st rounder they've developed for several years now?

I just want one more of those fast, two way tweeners (Frolik, Hagelin, Read, Kulemin) so bad. More GOOD PK depth, stronger team defense, speed to fit in with our core players.

Just give Yandle-Buff ALL of the Ozone starts and watch them make Karlsson look like a junior player.

*shudder*

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Hopefully this won't ruffle anyone's feathers, but talk of Gormley really highlights to me just how incredibly rushed Burmistrov was. Gormley went back for 2 more junior seasons (although was injured for one), and has had two seasons in the AHL. He had a long playoff run in Juniors, and played in the Mem cup twice and the World Juniors once. Burmistrov didn't even have a dominant CHL season under his belt before being kept in the NHL.

This is obviously spilled milk territory, but it does make me wonder what might have been.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Apparently and this might be just rumor, is Burmistrov would have went back to the KHL after this draft year. He wouldn't report back to Barrie. Atlanta then decided to sign him instead of letting him go back

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Apparently and this might be just rumor, is Burmistrov would have went back to the KHL after this draft year. He wouldn't report back to Barrie. Atlanta then decided to sign him instead of letting him go back

That is pretty interesting if true. Can't say I ever heard that one.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I don't think the Coyotes would want to spend the money they have on Buff when they need more scoring help at forward. Like you said, with OEl and Yandle already there, Buff isn't a need for them.

Not very convinced that Phoenix needs or wants Buff.

Buff's biggest asset is probably his contribution on the PP. Thats where he will be sorely missed if and when we trade him. For heaven's sake, hes had points on 20 of the 28 PP goals we've had this year -- an unheard of contribution!!

Of the better teams, here's where I think he might be traded simply based on their PP needs.

LA - 29th worst PP this year -- Doughty is prob main point man with 14 PP points (in on nearly half of their 29 pp goals)

TB - 19th worst -- Hedman is only D with any significant PP points -- but only 7!! Not sure who else plays point there

SJ - 18th worst. Boyle with 13 points (total of 37 pp goals)

Ana - 17th worst. Bonida with 15 points, so maybe they are OK.

Color - 13th worst. E.Johnson has only 9 points.

Phil - 10th worst. Streit has 12 points (42 total pp goals).

Just my thoughts, but I do think Buffs PP contribution is what teams are really looking at.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Just give Yandle-Buff ALL of the Ozone starts and watch them make Karlsson look like a junior player.

*shudder*

This was my thoughts on it to. A sheltered Buff is even better than the all situations Buff as we were utilizing him. But those two would be flat out dominating in the offensive end.

Phoenix's RHD depth looks great now, but Morris is UFA this summer and is over 35. Buff could slide in between Michalek and Schlemko/Rundblad and help them score more than they do now.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

Buff's biggest asset is probably his contribution on the PP. Thats where he will be sorely missed if and when we trade him. For heaven's sake, hes had points on 20 of the 28 PP goals we've had this year -- an unheard of contribution!!

Of the better teams, here's where I think he might be traded simply based on their PP needs.

LA - 29th worst PP this year -- Doughty is prob main point man with 14 PP points (in on nearly half of their 29 pp goals)

TB - 19th worst -- Hedman is only D with any significant PP points -- but only 7!! Not sure who else plays point there

Just my thoughts, but I do think Buffs PP contribution is what teams are really looking at.

Boyle is UFA this summer too

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

Tampa certainly has plenty of young assets to get excited about a potential deal so there's that.

What hasn't been said about Phil already?

Anaheim i like, they also have a lot of young guys whoa re breaking in similar to tampa.

as a buyer i like either of those three as a partner.

not so keen on what we'd get from LA or SJS.

I guess colorado's got young assets too

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Tampa certainly has plenty of young assets to get excited about a potential deal so there's that.

What hasn't been said about Phil already?

Anaheim i like, they also have a lot of young guys whoa re breaking in similar to tampa.

as a buyer i like either of those three as a partner.

not so keen on what we'd get from LA or SJS.

I guess colorado's got young assets too

Totally agree. For the Jets needs I really like TB, Phi, or Anaheim as partners.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

IIRC, I believe that was agreed upon between ATL and Burmi... KHL or NHL for that season.

This is the same arrangement that Nichushkin has with Dallas. It was cordial, above board, and mutually agreed upon but it was NHL or KHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $10.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest