Speculation: Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation (Part XVIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
I don't see any value in going after someone like Gagner. The west is a much tougher grind and he may excel a little more with his style of play in the East.

Also, there's no way the Oilers trade him for a player like Postma. Not a chance.

I don't see Chevy going after any rentals either. He'll shuffle a player or two out and bring back someone who might be a better fit going forward or more draft picks for expiring contracts.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Edler is certainly one player that is around the same tier as Buff is as a D. Different styles but similar effectiveness.

Edler is in my mind a #2 defenseman. He can survive tough matchups but can't flourish or put up points when he has them. He was never the same in Vancouver after Erhoff left. He needs a guy who can rush the puck and set him up for one timers. He has a heavy, accurate shot but an average release. He's not too physical in the regular season but in the playoffs when he uses his frame he can lay some devastating hits. He isn't quick, but with his long strides he is fast at full speed.

Trouba would be a perfect partner for him IMO as he's everything Erhoff was but he's more well rounded in his own end and more physical.

Him and Bogo would not mesh too well as neither one is a highest level thinker. But with Trouba when his assignment would be simpler you're getting the most out of him.

He's misused in VAN because Hamhuis plays better D, and Garrison has a harder bomb from the point for the PP. He's the most well rounded of the three, but VAN uses their players more "situationally" than most teams. With us, his weaknesses would be lessened with Trouba, and he'll contribute more because he could play PP as well if not better than Toby. And he is signed for another several years, can't recall exactly how long, but at a good cap hit.

If we were looking at moving Buff in a 1 for 1, this is as good as it gets if you want a defenseman. Not saying Edler is better than Buff, but its a case of two teams not getting the most out of a valuable $5M player. Whether Edler is worth a $5M hybrid power forward/defenseman is up for debate. But the guy doesn't suck at all.

Then our third line would be back to dumpster fire mode again lol

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Big plus - Morrissey might get a nice sample of AHL games in at the end of his season.

If he jumps in there and dominates that will be more telling.

That would be a bonus for his development and helping with Chevy's plans for next season.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Edler is certainly one player that is around the same tier as Buff is as a D. Different styles but similar effectiveness.

Edler is in my mind a #2 defenseman. He can survive tough matchups but can't flourish or put up points when he has them. He was never the same in Vancouver after Erhoff left. He needs a guy who can rush the puck and set him up for one timers. He has a heavy, accurate shot but an average release. He's not too physical in the regular season but in the playoffs when he uses his frame he can lay some devastating hits. He isn't quick, but with his long strides he is fast at full speed.

Trouba would be a perfect partner for him IMO as he's everything Erhoff was but he's more well rounded in his own end and more physical.

Him and Bogo would not mesh too well as neither one is a highest level thinker. But with Trouba when his assignment would be simpler you're getting the most out of him.

He's misused in VAN because Hamhuis plays better D, and Garrison has a harder bomb from the point for the PP. He's the most well rounded of the three, but VAN uses their players more "situationally" than most teams. With us, his weaknesses would be lessened with Trouba, and he'll contribute more because he could play PP as well if not better than Toby. And he is signed for another several years, can't recall exactly how long, but at a good cap hit.

If we were looking at moving Buff in a 1 for 1, this is as good as it gets if you want a defenseman. Not saying Edler is better than Buff, but its a case of two teams not getting the most out of a valuable $5M player. Whether Edler is worth a $5M hybrid power forward/defenseman is up for debate. But the guy doesn't suck at all.

Then our third line would be back to dumpster fire mode again lol

Edit: Did I just imagine a post about Edler I was responding to? :s

I like Edler's contract. Not bad amount for what he brings, and signed long-term. That brings value as an asset and fits with the Jets timetable.

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=444622

Well, for what it's worth (virtually nothing would be my guess), TSN is floating the idea of a Buff to PHI trade. Not as hard to make it work from a numbers point of view as I thought.

If the basis of a trade was Buff for B. Shenn, he Jets would need to retain a little more than a quarter of Buff's salary. If PHI wants to throw in the immortal UFA Hal Gill as a salary dump, the Jets only need to retain 15% of Buff's salary.

PHI is pretty deep at centre with Giroux, Coutourier, and Lecavalier, so they can bear the loss.

Add picks as appropriate...

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=444622

Well, for what it's worth (virtually nothing would be my guess), TSN is floating the idea of a Buff to PHI trade. Not as hard to make it work from a numbers point of view as I thought.

If the basis of a trade was Buff for B. Shenn, he Jets would need to retain a little more than a quarter of Buff's salary. If PHI wants to throw in the immortal UFA Hal Gill as a salary dump, the Jets only need to retain 15% of Buff's salary.

PHI is pretty deep at centre with Giroux, Coutourier, and Lecavalier, so they can bear the loss.

Add picks as appropriate...

With Scheifele's emergence this feels like a dated organization priority to me? You can never be too deep at centre I guess but I think goaltending and quality LHD are the #1 and #2 needs at this point.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Big plus - Morrissey might get a nice sample of AHL games in at the end of his season.

If he jumps in there and dominates that will be more telling.

I'm probably one of the few who thought that Morrissey was very close to making the team this past exhibition season. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him make the Jets this year.

YMMV.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
With Scheifele's emergence this feels like a dated organization priority to me? You can never be too deep at centre I guess but I think goaltending and quality LHD are the #1 and #2 needs at this point.

What about Read and Grossmann ?

Gross is built for the West and would be a good number 4 with Trouba and I think Read would be a guy that can play and excel in any top 9 role the jets need. Plus he is very god Pk er.

If they go for Brayden, a Schef, Brayden top 2 going fwd could set the Jets up for the next 10 yrs.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
What's with Maurice saying there are 2-3 guys on the roster who won't be around much longer?

Tangradi and who else.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Gross is built for the West and would be a good number 4 with Trouba and I think Read would be a guy that can play and excel in any top 9 role the jets need. Plus he is very god Pk er.

If they go for Brayden, a Schef, Brayden top 2 going fwd could set the Jets up for the next 10 yrs.

Does Schenn still play wing? He could fit quite well as a winger, either that or Little could move to RW.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011

Grossman isn't much of an upgrade over Stuart. Go to their board and do some reading, you would swear they're talking about Stu.

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
What's with Maurice saying there are 2-3 guys on the roster who won't be around much longer?

Tangradi and who else.

Could have very much meant upcoming UFA's. Or coaches. He didn't specify roster, but was certainly talking about the Jets organization. I

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

Neither Read nor Grossman are any sort of impact parts. If a player like Buff is getting moved there better be some kind of impact player/prospect coming back.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

I like Read and think he is underrated, but I would not really be happy with that. Grossman is nowhere close to a top 4 D IMO.

Brayden, Couts, Voracek, and Simmonds would the guys I think the Jets would want.

Maybe something around Read and Laughton if the Jets were high on him could be a start.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I like Read and think he is underrated, but I would not really be happy with that. Grossman is nowhere close to a top 4 D IMO.

Brayden, Couts, Voracek, and Simmonds would the guys I think the Jets would want.

Maybe something around Read and Laughton if the Jets were high on him could be a start.

That I know :)

I'm telling you guys as a Flyer fan, if they could get Laughton and Read I would snap as a Flyer fan and Jets should be very happy. The Flyers will want Buff the D man, and his value is def higher as a D man as a 40 pt winger. Laughton def makes Brayden expendable, so I think he will be the one to go if we get Buff. If ever Couts or Simmer go (Simmer for his insane contact) it will be in a pkg and FLyers will want a sure fire #1 guy coming back which Buff isn't.

And the thing about Read, everyone here loves Frolik, Read is a better version imo.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Neither Read nor Grossman are any sort of impact parts. If a player like Buff is getting moved there better be some kind of impact player/prospect coming back.

Depends if the long term plan is Buff at fwd ? I watch every game and he is far from an impact fwd, def not at his cap hit.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Putt Schenn at centre and move Little to RW. Thats the position he scored his 30+ goals from.

Kane-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ladd-Schenn-Little

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Depends if the long term plan is Buff at fwd ? I watch every game and he is far from an impact fwd, def not at his cap hit.

I'd rather keep Buff and he PP skills than trade him for Grossman and Read, who are marginal upgrades at best over Clitsome and Jokinen.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
With all the smoke over the last year do you think a fire is inevitable? (Or likely)
You have a much better feel for the flyers than anyone here.

Who knows, I really cant see them trading Couts or Brayden or picks which they have been good with lately. We have Ghost, Morin, Haag who are developing nicely, and Laughton who looks awesome but is another center and the thing we lack is a skilled pure puck mover, so I think Brayden could be had. That leaves G, Couts, Laughton as a damn good center core for 10 years.

Buzz is some in organization love Buff, some don't ???? I would prefer no Buff and target a younger guy, but Flyers don't always have patience.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
While I would hate to see him go, I really like the idea of trading Byfuglien for B. Schenn. He reminds of a poor man's Ryan O'Reilly.

With Scheifele's emergence, he could take over the #1 C role as soon as next year and let Little return to playing RW. Then you have B. Schenn playing as #2 C and potentially Burmistrov playing as #3C.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
I don't get why we'd trade for a center just to move Little to the wing. Why are we moving one of our best center to the wing again? Especially when Little has such a developed defensive game. Makes zero sense to me.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Who knows, I really cant see them trading Couts or Brayden or picks which they have been good with lately. We have Ghost, Morin, Haag who are developing nicely, and Laughton who looks awesome but is another center and the thing we lack is a skilled pure puck mover, so I think Brayden could be had. That leaves G, Couts, Laughton as a damn good center core for 10 years.

Buzz is some in organization love Buff, some don't ???? I would prefer no Buff and target a younger guy, but Flyers don't always have patience.

Always appreciate your input regarding the Flyers.

If you had to chose between dealing either B Schenn, or Read and Laughton ( if those were the only choices) which would you chose?

I could see reasons for both, but I guess it boils down to the expectations of Laughton.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
While I would hate to see him go, I really like the idea of trading Byfuglien for B. Schenn. He reminds of a poor man's Ryan O'Reilly.

With Scheifele's emergence, he could take over the #1 C role as soon as next year and let Little return to playing RW. Then you have B. Schenn playing as #2 C and potentially Burmistrov playing as #3C.

Why do so many people want to move Little back to the wing? He is a very good two way centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad